Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Tobruk (from 4.13)  (Read 13680 times)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Re: Tobrouk (form 4.13)
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2015, 06:51:43 AM »

Thanks, Epervier, for conversion.

I can't refrain from comment, though, how all desert maps (but one) in this game replicate same (sand-) yellow color for terrain, whilst in reality it is different, especially in Derna area, which is NW of Tobruk. Here follow some shots from Google Earth (satellite and ground):

as you can easily watch, terrain is red (or at least reddish).

So far, only the good old SandsOfTime succeeded to replicate this hue.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
GB
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
Re: Tobruk (from 4.13)
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 11:30:22 AM »

Thanks for showing screens, that is the old unmodded IL-2 1946 look... :-\

I do not like (to say it mild) that TD always makes their tgas such encripted ones that deciphering without IMF viewer is impossible...reason why I dislike this:
In this case, if you just copy and paste the files given, many valuable modded textures, e.g. the water/animated better water textures, may be overriden, or your high rez MTO trees as well. I would be careful if using this over a modified maps folder.

That is my opinion on not the SAS opinion. Thanks anyway for your work Gabriel, and of course if gentlemen see features here they like better than the default, go for it!

Cheers

bada

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2015, 03:27:29 PM »

Thanks, Epervier, for conversion.
I can't refrain from comment, though, how all desert maps (but one) in this game replicate same (sand-) yellow color for terrain, whilst in reality it is different, especially in Derna area, which is NW of Tobruk. Here follow some shots from Google Earth (satellite and ground):

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
GB

Hey!,
the first version had the Derna region in reddish color (the coast was really cool in red), but due to other needs for the rest of the map, it has been replaced. Texture's slots in il2 are limited so it was more a compromise to remove this reddisch texture than a real decision.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2015, 05:01:44 AM »

... the first version had the Derna region in reddish color (the coast was really cool in red), but due to other needs for the rest of the map, it has been replaced. Texture's slots in il2 are limited so it was more a compromise to remove this reddisch texture than a real decision.

Good to know that at least initially they took in account correct configuration! In their shoes, though, I would have made the inverse (all reddish), and not only for personal taste: I never was in North Africa, but having spent a life in the South of Italy, every now and then witnessed sand from those regions moved by strong wind this far, and it was always red. A bit speculative, but true.
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

bada

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2015, 01:53:33 PM »

there were no "they", there was "me" alone for more than half the work (texturing) then LaL-R-One joined me and added nice touchs to the terrain.
the reddish textures were only oplicable to something like 10% of the surface and Textures slots were needed for other larger parts of the maps, especially to avoid texture repetition.
Derna is on the left corner, it's not a well used airfield. ;)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2015, 04:52:57 PM »

Thank "you" Bada, first of all for having made this map, then for explanation.

Unfortunately, in my incurable pedantry, and like sung by Rolling Stones... "I can't get no satisfaction". ;D

I play almost exclusively 4.09 with UP2.01; this latter already include many more maps of North Africa and Mediterranean, and there is one I think very similar which has Derna in upper left corner. About this latter, I think this important German base should have been more in the centre, and, about all remaining available maps, I couldn't assemble a whole campaign but making use of one in scale 1:2, that I dislike. The point is that war in North Africa developed along the long coast from Tunis to Tobruk (but I would say more Derna) and I don't know neither a single 1:1 scale map neither a combination of maps covering the whole front. In addition, color is arguable.

I applaud the effort to avoid texture repetition, but the interior shouldn't be dull sand?

In the end, I still prefer the SandsOfTime, which has the only defect to be a bit too small, but nicely depicting a realistic, generic portion of North Africa, with the right color.

Regards,
GB

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2016, 01:44:17 PM »

As I'm adding this map to my unified map mods....actually I keep the old JV69.... entry , but as the unified map mods should be compatible also with 413 , should I double the entry to keep also 413 compatibility?

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2016, 01:58:38 PM »

I not understand...
If you want to have two versions of this map simply install this package and add in the all.ini :
Tobruk               Tobruk/load.ini
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2016, 11:45:25 PM »

Maybe I explain myself wrong:

Actually this map is the finished 413 while the 412 to 409 version was the older one....

If I add this map to my unified mod pack I like to use only this version for both but for missions builded on the two versions the entries are different.....

....so what I'm asking you is a suggestion if you think that is better to have the 2 entries in the all.ini to have full missions compatibility or use only the last entries and let to older missions users updated to update the .mis file with last map entry?

I'm thinking to do the last options as I have anyway done for other maps entries....

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2016, 01:34:42 AM »

I believe the best option is to let old missions/campaigns untouched, I mean still playable without the hassle of having to modifiy each and every .mis file ...

(I know there are free utilities that allow to rename text files in bulk ...)

Then give the new map a different name, such as : Tobruk2          Tobruk2/load.ini    for ex, simply because there are les missions/campaigns built with that new map ...

Just my 2 cents ...  ;)

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2016, 01:43:25 AM »

Old name is:

JV69_LYBIA_N-E/load.ini

New name is:

Tobruk/load.ini

This mean keep 2 folders with the same files with 2 entries....

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2016, 02:33:39 AM »

... sorry, but I don't understand ...  :-[

If this means keep 2 folders with the same files with 2 entries, then why create Tobruk/load.ini, if this is the same map, with the same Actors_static, same textures etc ...?  o_O

If Tobruk is a different map, I mean different textures, Actors_static etc ... then there should be 2 different entries ...  ;)
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 23 queries.