Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightened up air.ini for World at War module pt08! (should improve fps)  (Read 32453 times)

Chupacabras84

Re: Lightened up air.ini for World at War module (should improve fps)
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2015, 06:13:36 AM »

Actually thats what I am doing at the moment.
I decided to walk over theatres once again and enable those planes I missed on my first run, for example American and British aircrafts that were lend-leased to VVS.
And it so happens that I decided to use forward slashes so people have easier time figuring out what was disabled and just with future in mind.
I am yet to test it though but I think its not the size of air.ini that give slowdown but number of planes and specific planes attributes.

Keep your fingers crossed  ;)

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2015, 07:54:03 AM »

and that leads me to a maybe stupid question;
if we rem out certain planes using // in front of their air.ini entries, does this have the same effect as deleting the entry completely?
because if so, I might be tempted to create my own "lightened" air.inis for certain theatres....
I did use a lot of // already in my SCW era module but did not notice better performance (my install performed quite nicely already before), but it might be a little bit different in WAW where I have added quite a lot additional aircraft by now...

maybe we could use a certain resource heavy mission and use different ini files to see what this really brings for our sim versions....

Chupacabras84

« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2015, 08:19:34 AM »

if we rem out certain planes using // in front of their air.ini entries, does this have the same effect as deleting the entry completely?
From what I can tell, yes.
I did use a lot of // already in my SCW era module but did not notice better performance
Here is the thing if you try to disable planes in stock game or just some mod pack that is not too heavy on planes, you wont see a single frame of performance increase.
In WaW though, to get same framerate I had in stock game, for Soviet vs Axis air.ini, I had to disable UK/US and all JPN planes.
With WaW to see framerate improvement, you have to disable almost half of the air.ini to get framerate back into playable range, disabling 20-50 aircrafts simply wont cut it.

I think maybe later today, I will post updated version of the lightened air.ini and you will be able to see for yourself how many planes are disabled.

I wonder what exactly causes for some people fps drop with really heavy air.ini.
I noticed my CPU is always at 50%, even in menu so maybe IL2 does some really bad resource management, no idea.

Zoran395

• Mapper
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2015, 04:03:44 AM »

I noticed my CPU is always at 50%, even in menu so maybe IL2 does some really bad resource management, no idea.
Hi Chupa,
To add to the debate, I just upgraded my CPU, form a Celeron Dual Core to a Quad Core 9300, no difference in FPS, like described at the end of https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,32417.24.html.
I get a much faster loading time, to start the game itself and loading campaigns and missions. I would say it takes half the time it used to, which is very nice, but I am still sitting on the same (improved) FPS rates.

Chupacabras84

« Reply #40 on: May 23, 2015, 06:35:49 AM »

Personally I prefer 50% equal load spread across all cores than one core pulling 100% just for a couple of extra frames.
There is a few tricks to IL2 and multi-core CPU's tho.
Disabling threaded optimisation in nvidia control panel doubled performance for me (its AMD thing) I wonder if your CPU have some multi-threading optimisation you could try and disable.

its weird though, q9300 is not a weak cpu according to benchmarks, I would expect it to handle Il2 better.

Chupacabras84

« Reply #41 on: May 23, 2015, 07:56:02 PM »

Update.
Added planes I missed on my first run, I used fairly automated process of editing air.ini and as a result, I missed some planes.
Now when I improved this process, I think I've got them all.

As Zoran395 previously mentioned, Soviets missed Hurricanes (and every other not soviet aircraft).
Now Soviets have access to planes that were shared with them thanks to lend-lease act (Hope I got the models right).

Instead of removing planes from air.ini, now they are only commented out.
Easier to see whats left out and customize it to your liking, just a warning, most air.ini's are tightly packed and enabling even a couple of planes will decrease fps.
Try to edit "UK and USA vs Axis" and see how many planes you can enable without fps drop.
Make sure you have well thought out process of measuring performance to a single frame of difference so you can monitor your changes.

Fixed some grammar mistakes and added readme.

That's about it for the moment, if you have any suggestions, share them.

decipher

• Missioneer
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 05:26:34 AM »

hey there!

my CUP installation was pretty stable and stutter free around 60FPS with vsync and everything prettied up until recently, out of nowhere (i cannot figure out what i did before it started) i started noticing stuttering and lower FPS, even in the FMB when you go into 3d view on an EMPTY map the performance was visibly more sluggish than before... i almost went insane, trying to find out what was going wrong... checked for rootkits, virus, trojans, adware... all squeaky clean, i built this computer myself and my win7 installation is pretty clean and streamlined for performance, no useless services etc... i did not install anything new in the last weeks... spent hours changing nvidia inspector settings, messing with conf.ini... i have CUP and my old SAS mod in the same il-2 installation, so they share the same config etc... i compared the two and noticed the SAME QMB with the SAME AI, same MAP, same everything... has 20fps less on my CUP now.. crazy!... i could not figure out what was going on....

long story short (haha sorry guys, i love to write long detailed descriptions :D ) ... i remembered seeing this topic around, so i thought, what the heck.. can't hurt to try... removed all german, italian, aces, and most of the soviet planes from my air.ini (i play mostly pacific JP/US/GB). compared the exact same QMB again in CUP and SAS modact... and boom... performance basically the same!

so to you Chupacabras84 i salute! thanks!

now i am still worried though, because my CUP was running smooth before, even with the long air.ini. i did not change anything in that air.ini before.. my installation might became sluggish because of something else i did... and freeing up the air.ini might gave me back enough new performance to "even out" the loss... its really confusing... but at least it seem to work ok for now.

s!

messeranck

« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2015, 04:38:21 AM »

It ll be interresting to have a MTO modified air ini with german us french italian and UK planes with the WAW 9 update, and why not specific wallpapers.
It reminds me the first mods of EAW for specific theaters...
 :P

stugumby

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2015, 12:43:08 PM »

is there another link for the ini, i get the drop box page but no download tab etc?

Chupacabras84

« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »

Re-uploaded (first post).
Just mind its for WaW 08 module, it should still work without issues even with WaW part 11 but it will have only planes from WaW part 8.
If you get better fps just make sure to post what kind of performance boost you've got and how it compares with stock game (should be no performance difference).

Griffon_301

• SAS Team
« Reply #46 on: June 23, 2015, 01:08:54 PM »

as these lightened air.ini files seem to be quite popular and they are quite useful as well, I have made this topic a sticky for the time being...

thanks to chupa for his ongoing support...

Chupacabras84

« Reply #47 on: June 23, 2015, 02:38:23 PM »

I intend to make a new version for WaW 11 (should be fast and easy) when/if I finish my other project which still need a bit more time but its almost done (hopefully)  :o
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 9   Go Up

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 24 queries.