Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: A rough road to get to CUP  (Read 5437 times)

Cloyd

Re: A rough road to get to CUP
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2015, 05:36:14 PM »

I did attempt to put in the v4.12.2m Mega Patch and it did seem to load properly, however, when I tried to verify that it had loaded I discovered that the GOG download does not have a #SAS, or a #DBW file, or anything equivalent. The first folder is a "bin" folder. The contents do not look like any other version of the game I've seen. The patch did not take effect. It's still v4.11m

I repaired the hole my head made in the drywall, and pared my emotions down to a muttered WTF.

Gil, you need to back up to the beginning, IMHO. You don't need to worry about #DBW or #SAS or anything else until you get a working, functional installation of the STOCK game, updated to 4.12.2. So far, it appears that you haven't achieved this basic prerequisite?

Dave

propnut27

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »

You are correct. As I explained in my first post, this is an intermittent problem. About once in 25 tries the game loads smoothly, and performs perfectly. The other 24 times I get this weird video lockup/disconnect. The game always loads. I can always hear the soundtrack playing behind the locked up screen. Thanks to fooling around with the settings I now know that this same problem occurs on all versions of the game from three different sources. Everything else on my machine runs like a Swiss watch. I am totally mystified.

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »

we need to find out when the game runs smoothly - what are the circumstances.
once we nail that, we will make sure that these circumstances are always applied, so that the game always runs as it should without weirdness or crazy stuff happening.

does the game load okay when you apply "safe settings" as described above?
Collecting dislikes since December '82.

propnut27

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 07:25:34 PM »

Actually.....no! I went down each of the resolutions in Safe settings, none worked. In Default settings 1280X1024 worked.... once. I ran through the others and came back to it. Didn't work.

In highest settings, one of the resolutions worked.... once. A return visit was unsuccessful. Each time it loaded properly I played a short single mission, one the the Finnish Buffalo mission. Worked dandy.    Once. The successful result was not repeatable.

On one of the experiments I moved the GOG Games folder out onto the desktop, the original v4.11m download, and it worked well twice in succession. When I added the v4.12.2m MegaPatch it would not work. I've been trying to find a pattern that works, but it keeps slipping away just when I think I've got it nailed. My wife is really starting to get POed at the time I'm spending on this.

Gil

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 06:38:42 AM »

well this is DAMN WEIRD.
just the kind of stuff i am interested in.

what would i give to have an hour at your computer while you take the missus out for lunch.
well... an afternoon maybe - an hour is not enough.

if the game runs, then the game is fine.
what seems to be the problem is possibly the environment the game runs IN. Something in your Windblows or so that screws things up...
and that is an entirely different Ballpark!

checking video drivers and running a dxdiag... finding out how exactly it crashes/stops working...
could it be a java issue? OpenGL related? related to a windows update, however unlikely?
F-bomb me if i know.

@storebror -
do you think your instalog mod could help here?
we might set the man up with a SAS modact 5.30.X, and add the instalog to find out what the hell is going on?

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 07:52:49 AM »

From experience with online sales IL-2 versions (no user feedback available yet, I'm sorry, but all users who could have been affected decided to be an asshole and never reported back their results with this) I'd recommend:

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

propnut27

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2015, 08:43:34 AM »

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Gil

propnut27

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2015, 04:17:26 PM »

Storebror, as they say in the church hall, BINGO!! The Direct to Dish Patch and the new Selector Patch have the GOG game running like a thief.After diddling with the screen resolution settings she running.

1024X768 is widescreen, but the picture is a bit distorted. 1152X864 is a 4;3 screen, clean and nice. Thank you for your excellent suggestion. I guess I should save a copy of this working game, then add the Modact 5.3 to the first one. Right?

Typhoon Ib

• SAS Enfant terrible
  • unlock.inc
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 04:22:01 PM »

*horrayyyyy*

propnut27

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 05:44:42 PM »

My joy is short lived. After starting flawlessly 10 times in a row it start pulling the same old $hit on the 11th start. now it's right back to square one. It's almost as if I threw a new trick at it, and it took a few repititio9ns to figure out how to screw me again. It's diabolical.

propnut27

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 06:21:01 PM »

Signals over. I had screwed around with the resolution setting, and that set it off. As long as I stay at Default Settings, 1152X864 I'm golden. Now to add the Modact 5.3 Thank you all for sticking with me on this. I really appreciate your kind assistance.

Gil

propnut27

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 10:30:27 AM »

I'm very much afraid I'm becoming a pain in the a$$. When testing out my clean v4.12.2m game I find that many Single Missions won't load. I get the following message; "Mission Loading Failed: Mesh 3do/humans/Paratroopers/Russian/ mono.sim not created."

It seems I'm missing a file, but a search produced no matches. I seem to recall folks discussing this issue some time back, and there was a simple solution.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.