Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly progress report  (Read 121737 times)

Pursuivant

Re: Weekly progress report
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2019, 08:04:05 PM »

That empty space on the desk just begs to be populated with period- & nation-specific stuff: personal equipment, uniforms with insignia & decorations, maps, manuals, paybooks, personal belongings, etc.

Stainless

« Reply #385 on: April 02, 2019, 06:55:15 AM »

Started putting in the basic stuff from flight training school

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #386 on: April 25, 2019, 11:00:58 AM »

Very very cool  8)
Thank you !
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #387 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:21 PM »

Finally, the personal "customizable" log book.  Nice touch and excellent idea.

LuseKofte

« Reply #388 on: May 15, 2019, 03:19:57 AM »

When you said you would attempt this endeavor years back I really did not believe you would  get this far.
Not that I did not think you could not do it, but simply the fact of the tremendous workload.
I thought this would be abandoned.
I am very impressed

Stainless

« Reply #389 on: May 16, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »

Sorry I haven't been posting recently, my contract with Tobii got cancelled early so I had to run around and got a new one, I had some time off, and now I am working on a big code block.

I am writing my own flight dynamic model, it's almost at the test stage and treats all mesh parts as individual aerodynamic elements.

So each wing section has it's own aerodynamic entry, each fuselage, fuel tank, weapon, blah blah

This means if you drop a bomb you will feel the difference in the flight characteristics, if you lose your rudder I don't have to write code to figure out what happens. I just let the model do it's thing.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #390 on: May 16, 2019, 07:32:04 PM »

That is truly a great idea!  With that, we can even have both historical and alternative historical "what if" with the secret project aircraft from Germany, USA, UK, Soviet, Japan, and other countries flying as realistic as possible.

slibenli

• IL-2 Graphics Extender
« Reply #391 on: May 17, 2019, 04:15:59 AM »

Sounds exciting!

Stainless

« Reply #392 on: May 18, 2019, 12:33:49 AM »

First view of the FDM designer

The grey bricks are point masses, you can see wings, horizontal + vertical stabilisers, fuselage, gear, point masses, thrusters, etc.

The two thrusters are so hard to see, but they are tied into weapon fire. So you fire the guns and the physics system feels it.

Now to do the test code

Pursuivant

« Reply #393 on: May 19, 2019, 05:13:35 AM »

That is truly a great idea!  With that, we can even have both historical and alternative historical "what if" with the secret project aircraft from Germany, USA, UK, Soviet, Japan, and other countries flying as realistic as possible.

As long as you have Reynolds Numbers or equivalent for wing airfoils. Some of the necessary data isn't available for poorly documented or "paper" aircraft.

More practically, if the game engine allows you to modify flight model info on the fly, is the potential to add and subtract equipment, alter mass or CoG based on damage or consumption of stores (or even movement of passengers), and to change flight performance based on damage.

For example, let's say you're flying a B-17 and the nose compartment gets a big nasty flak hit. The blast kills the navigator and bombardier, blowing their bodies out of the plane, and also blows away much of the nose ahead of the cockpit. This creates massive amounts of drag and changes the plane's CoG to make it tail heavy, but also reduces the plane's total mass by a good bit. Let's also say that the blast forces part of remaining nose bits downward, creating a sort of an airfoil which makes the plane want to fly upwards in addition to its other problems.

If the FM allowed for dynamic changes to mass, drag, lift, etc. then you could realistically handle the crisis by ordering equipment to be jettisoned and crew to be repositioned to fix CoG problems, dropping bombs to reduce overall mass, setting trim tabs and applying constant pressure on the stabilizers to keep the plane from climbing, etc.

On a more benign level, you could easily add gun pods, equipment, etc. by modeling them as different bits of the aircraft with their own FM & DM. For example, you could add or remove RDF loops, radios, radar equipment, etc. or modify baseline aircraft with chemical or water tanks, MADD "stingers" or AWACS saucers.

It could also allow better modeling of composite aircraft.

Stainless

« Reply #394 on: May 19, 2019, 07:10:42 AM »

So started testing.

I need someone to sanity check this for me.

I have loaded a model of a Spitfire IIa and ran the simulation at a fixed altitude and speed just changing the attitude of the aircraft from -15 degrees (15 degrees nose down ) to 90 degrees nose up.

I have then plotted the drag and lift. Does it look right? I think I have drawn the wrong label on the wrong graph.

sniperton

« Reply #395 on: May 19, 2019, 08:15:21 AM »

Just a blind guess, but why would drag (labeled as lift) drastically decrease in the region between ca. 15 and 45 degrees? Or why would lift (labeled as lift) drastically increase in the region between 45 and 90 degrees if 15 degrees represents the critical AoA for stalling?

It would be great to know which chart is which and whether your model counts with boundary-layer separation at a critical AoA or it simply calculates component forces?  ;)
Anyway, wait off the opinion of someone more knowledgable, and  ]cheers[

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 29 queries.