Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 50   Go Down

Author Topic: Weekly progress report  (Read 121744 times)

Pursuivant

Re: Weekly progress report
« Reply #372 on: February 19, 2019, 06:13:48 PM »

Glad that I could be of use.

Remember that AM assumes perfectly dark skies, with minimal light scattering due to atmosphere (i.e., for practical purposes you can pretend that there is no atmosphere assuming no competing light sources).

Once you get into the stratosphere and above, not only is curvature of the earth more obvious, but the skies above will be a bit darker with even less atmospheric scattering while the skies below will have a bit of extra luminance due to the angle of sunlight/moonlight striking the thicker air in the troposphere.

IIRC, atmospheric density, hence Rayleigh Scattering, is a more-or-less linear function of altitude. Create an invisible sphere for the atmosphere which extends to approximately the altitude of the ionosphere. Then base luminance/illuminance of the atmosphere on altitude plus a chord defined by the points where light strikes the atmosphere vs. where it "exits."

Not only will that give you the cool "sky glow" effects due to light passing through the atmosphere as seen from very high flight/LEO, but it will set up accurate sunrise/sunset and AM of celestial objects effects as seen from altitude. It would also lay the basis for aurora effects which originate at the ionospheric level and get a certain amount of their cool glowing effects from Rayleigh Scattering.

Stainless

« Reply #373 on: February 24, 2019, 04:14:36 AM »

Added support for ships

Stainless

« Reply #374 on: March 15, 2019, 02:43:06 AM »

Added field of fire components for weapons

Each weapon can have multiple fields of fire so we can make sure you don't shoot off the tail of your aircraft or put holes in the funnel of your pristine war ship.

At the moment I am using the debug camera as the guns target, and when you move into a valid field of fire the gun rotates

Which is working but shows up a bug.

I need to use the hook for the start of the field of fire rather than the guns position.

Anyway some progress at last.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #375 on: March 15, 2019, 07:19:55 AM »

That is mind-blown progress!  I have serious respect for huge projects you have been working on for a vastly long time. I have been watching your progress here. I have a question. I am sincerely hoping that we will be able to get to command any ships like game called War Thunder or World of Warships?  I am confident that many of us would love to be able to command any warships and submarines, along with the add-on mods.

Pursuivant

« Reply #376 on: March 17, 2019, 10:27:06 AM »

That is mind-blown progress!  I have serious respect for huge projects you have been working on for a vastly long time. I have been watching your progress here. I have a question. I am sincerely hoping that we will be able to get to command any ships like game called War Thunder or World of Warships?  I am confident that many of us would love to be able to command any warships and submarines, along with the add-on mods.

While the ability to import models and objects from games like Warthunder or "World of X" would be welcome, they'd need serious physics updates if they were to have anything like realistic damage modeling or movement, never mind tactics. That seems like a major project for Somebody Else to work on in the future, while Stainless creates a kickass flight simulator.

That said, keeping the sim open enough that reasonably accurate water and ground movement physics could be added in the future seems like a good idea.

Pursuivant

« Reply #377 on: March 17, 2019, 10:35:14 AM »

Each weapon can have multiple fields of fire so we can make sure you don't shoot off the tail of your aircraft or put holes in the funnel of your pristine war ship.

Impressive progress, but make sure that this is one of the features that can be turned off by vehicle designers and players.

Realistically, early flexible guns didn't have electronic "cut outs" to prevent them from shooting their own vehicle. Even after simple electromechanical firing cut-out mechanisms were introduced (after WW1, prior to WW2) they could still fail and some AC or gun positions didn't have them at all (e.g., the flexible waist-mounted MG on US heavy and medium bombers). Overexcited or careless crew could shoot up their own airplanes!

Stainless

« Reply #378 on: March 17, 2019, 10:39:08 AM »

Then you just add a single field of fire and see what happens  :D

Stainless

« Reply #379 on: March 19, 2019, 05:00:45 AM »

Added support for hooks

And there sure are a lot of them on the Illy.

Stainless

« Reply #380 on: March 27, 2019, 09:34:36 AM »

Inspired by the book I just bought, I decided to add 2D graphics support to the engine and start the player record code

This is a book on a desk in your quarters.

Activating it brings up this scene

These pages are defined by code so we can do different nations, time periods etc.

The fonts are signed distance fields, so you only need a single font file and then display it at (almost) any size

DarkBlueBoy

• Supporter
  • Learning slowly...
« Reply #381 on: March 27, 2019, 10:00:06 AM »

That's a really neat touch Stainless. The font you've chosen looks good. Does it just use a standard TTF?

Stainless

« Reply #382 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:07 PM »

I have a tool you run that takes a ttf file and outputs a bitmap and a csv (text file)

My code reads this and allows you to render text strings at any size.

BT~wasted

• Modder
« Reply #383 on: March 27, 2019, 02:26:14 PM »

I like the design! Looks very authentic because of lots of details.

Looking forward to write my name in one of them  :D
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 ... 50   Go Up

Page created in 0.093 seconds with 28 queries.