Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Wish list  (Read 12041 times)

Stainless

Wish list
« on: February 23, 2015, 02:19:32 AM »

What features do you really, really want?

What features would be cool but you could live without?

What features are really bad ideas?

This is the thread for all of these

Oscarito

Re: Wish list
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 02:58:08 AM »

Yeaahh! Here I go...

Some ideas:
                               ---Maps---
1. Better forests (not layered). This ugly feature denies the beauty of crashes...

2. Good roads (not straight lines & angled curves)

3. More convincent towns & villages (hand populated)

4. Rivers with well defined banks

---Effects---

1. Damaged models for vehicles, ships, etc. similar to that of planes (parts beeing ripped apart...)

2. Secondary explosions for (planes, ships, vehicles, etc.)

3. Animated humans that we could deal like other objects (IL-2 is a world of ghosts...)

4. Cockpit shadows.

5. Grass

6. Dynamic trees & grass (sensitive to winds, propeller)

7. Randomized behaviour on AI landings (they always do exactly the same...)

8. Evasive maneuvers for ships, vehicles & humans
v4.12+MA 5.3 - Win 7

SAS~Skylla

• SAS Team
  • Flying Ass Clown N°24
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 05:22:22 AM »

What I really would like to see is, that parts falling down from a destroyed / damaged plane can hurt the player's aircraft
Of course only if it doesn't need too much effort :)

Best Regards,
skylla
When all else fails: read the instructions!

King_109

• Hail Hydra
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 05:54:01 AM »

Keep calm and jump the cocpit  :(  :D  :D

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 12:48:46 PM »

A lot of things have been mentioned already I see but here is my part:

- Easy to handle FMB
- 3D waves at sea in rough weather conditions
- Different water colours on one map: deep blue see and murky rivers
- 3D craters
- Desert storm, blizzard
- Icing at canopy, animated raindrops or animated oil splashes.
- No pop up effects

"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2015, 01:22:23 PM »

Cockpit shadows (more important: Cockpits.. ;D)

Some sort of atmosphere code similar to the mission editor options in IL-2 from 4.10 onward

Objects with no popup effect.
 :P

Koty

• Mr. MiG
  • Modder
  • It's a MiG!
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 02:11:18 PM »

A lot of things have been mentioned already I see but here is my part:

- Easy to handle FMB
It IS easy... just go through the manual...
- 3D waves at sea in rough weather conditions
+1
- Different water colours on one map: deep blue see and murky rivers
What about 3D bottom of sea then? -.-'
- 3D craters
Would need to enable plastic changes into the terrain (or just adding some mesh)
- Desert storm, blizzard
Weather simulation? Would need a really complex bunch code...
- Icing at canopy, animated raindrops or animated oil splashes.
Depends on the plane itself. Icing is there (at He-111 for example) and raindrops are visible on the MiG-21's (3rd gen ones)
- No pop up effects
You mean that nasty thing when riding in terrain/taking of from a jumpbridge? That's already some sci-fi -.-'

...sorry for being so sceptical...
If I don't have to do it, I won't. If I have to do it, I'll make it quick.

Stainless

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2015, 02:44:56 PM »

For the animated humans I intend to support skeletal animation.
For those of you that don't know, it's an animation technique that uses bones and bone weights to animate 3D meshes. It's a standard technique and well documented.

I also intend to use proper animation blending, so they will look good and you can do special case animations of you so wish.

3D craters are done with texture splatting. Basically in the terrain vertex generation you detect the vertex is within a crater (point-sphere collision) and mix the vertex height with the height of the crater. It's a fairly cheap process but produces very good results. You can even have overlapping craters and it works.(The number of overlaps is limited though).

3D waves are a no brainer. I use a FFT based solution.

Atmospheric effects will come later, but the volumetric cloud system I use can easily adapted to dust storms.

My atmospheric model is very complex, I chose to do a full simulation because I wanted to be able to model icing and contrails in a realistic way.

Debris will be handled as collidable objects, actually to simplify the code they are flak particles with different physics.  ;D

Forests will be handled as a two stage system. At a long distance they will be volume textures (very similar to the cloud code). At close range they will be handled as full 3D meshes rendered as instances ( a trick to speed up rendering large numbers of 3D models which only vary by shader variables. They have the same vertices and textures, but can have different colours and orientations)

Rivers are going to take some work, but that's for later.

c22552255

• Country Boy Hick
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2015, 08:56:28 PM »

I see that I am getting in on this a little late, but to me, what makes a game a real winner is having an awesome amount of realism, and graphics. But, being the tight-wad that I am, I am always happy and impressed when a game can be loaded with eye-candy on high graphics, but able to run and play on a base model computer. You guys get what I'm saying? I recently got myself a GFX card, and I'm able to play more stuff, but limited. I'm not asking to cater to me, but if you could, let it be playable with low-end CPU's, and still look awesome on a 4 grand CPU.

Also, and I know that others have said it, extremely dynamic campaigns. Such as: "Your mission today is to knock out such and such a Panzer division, if you succeed, such and such an area is open for attack"

and, with every mission, effect the outcome of the war. If you never do any damage to the Germans, the axis will creep up on the UK again and invade. Something like that would be sweet! 8)

No matter what, I will definitely be a user of this when it's finished. So good luck!

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2015, 12:11:30 AM »

I would like to see roads/railway lines/dirt tracks with curves.....the straight lines and corners we have now spoil the game for me  :(
I fly mainly DBW1916 and apart from some notable exceptions most cockpits are quite poor....Accurate working gauges and realistic wood and metal surfaces & moving shadows would be great :)
Basically I would like to have a sim that looked like ROF but was moddable like IL2.....
Many thanks for your sterling work with this new sim, its 's marvelous to see someone who knows how to build new games but works with the community spirit of IL21946 in mind.
For me THE best thing about IL2 1946 is the people who contribute to it, in whatever capacity they can.... :)

Cheers

Alfie
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

Stainless

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2015, 03:11:41 AM »

What about wind? Like crosswinds and maybe turbulence? And high winds cause clouds to move faster.... Would it be feasible?

Already in.

I will have to link in the physics to the cloud display when that get's written, but I have already done the main code.

I also want to add a dynamic layer based on jet wash, and a turbulence map based on the terrain.

Stainless

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2015, 03:22:39 AM »

Basically I would like to have a sim that looked like ROF but was moddable like IL2.....

This game is designed from the ground up to be moddable. I'm using C#. Not because it is the best language to write games in, in fact it increases my workload significantly because I can't just link in a lot of libraries I would like to use as they are incompatible.

It does have a key feature that makes it perfect for this job.

You can compile and link source code on the fly. So the game can boot up, scan a directory, compile all the .cs files in it into the game.

So no issues with compiling java to bytecode, hashing the class files, and all the other stuff you have to go through to get a mod into IL2

Also it allows highly detailed mods, without requiring them.

You can add an aircraft from here, copy code I will supply into a new CS file, and it will fly.

Then as you learn more about the system, and more about the aircraft you can modify the source code to add the new realism.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 21 queries.