Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Stock JA Gun Sights and Glass Mod, by WxTech  (Read 18647 times)

WxTech

• Modder
Re: Stock JA Gun Sights and Glass Mod, by WxTech
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 07:06:00 AM »

Greybeard,
So I take it that at some point the gun sight and its reflector (for the Zero) has been modelled to a different size than originally? Does this apply to the J2M as well, which the game originally assigned the same sight? How about the Army planes?

4.08 didn't have an A6M3 folder; did 4.09? (I thought--perhaps mistakenly so--that 4.09's stock JA plane list was unchanged.)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 10:01:13 AM »

So I take it that at some point the gun sight and its reflector (for the Zero) has been modelled to a different size than originally?

I don't think so. Yesterday, I copied successfully your A6M2 gunsight to all A6M3 non-stock folders and realized there are differences in PoV between various sub-models; in addition, I use SAS PoV Mod which could put some way back pilot's PoV in cockpit.

Does this apply to the J2M as well, which the game originally assigned the same sight? How about the Army planes?

J2M looks as follows:

for comparison, here follows same reticle with stock gunsight:

All Army planes are OK for me.

4.08 didn't have an A6M3 folder; did 4.09?

No, it doesn't, they are the non-stock A6M3 that I listed previously, which do have their own folders.

All in, I think it's mainly a matter of oversized reticle (in respect of the real one, which looks all inside the reflector glass and even the dimmer), complicated by some difference in PoV.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »

It occurred to me just after posting previously that differences in the POV could be responsible for the seeming variation in reticle size with respect to the reflector.

I use a POV mod, too, for which virtually every plane has been tweaked to my own preferred viewpoints for both 'normal' and gun sight view.

So I take it you're getting things pretty much set to your own preferences?

For planes which I have not supported (due to not having in my 4.08), if you have the relevant files in a folder and editable, you can probably figure out what to do, using my stuff as a template. I learned how to mod by studying other folks' work in my installed mods and expanding from there into ever newer territory.
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2015, 04:11:24 AM »

So I take it you're getting things pretty much set to your own preferences?

No, I don't: I'm pretty satisfied with SAS PoV Mod (but the Bf 109, which still keeps pilot's head too close to - virtually inside - the windshield).

Eventually solution was in front of my eyes; looking at bottom of Type 98 gunsight reticle, I saw the outer ring marked with a "7":

more in detail, there are along lower vertical arm "1", "3", "5" and "7". I think they are angular degree. So outer diameter of reticle is 7°. Since mils in the IL-2 world are 360°=6000 mils, I resized to 116 mils (= 7°), getting what follows:

quite good for me. Would be perfect if a bit lower, but this will require entering PoV world for me, as you suggested. Maybe will be occasion to extract Bf 109 pilot's head from windscreen, lol. ;D
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2015, 10:08:36 AM »

Following your suggestion, I tried to refine by measuring on screen. I found that with current values the outer ring 7 degree were actually about 8.5. Made proper math, I found out new values to apply and now I'm proud to present final results: :D

Zero

J2M3

N1K2

Please notice how the 5 degree notch nicely match screen rim set at 5° FoV. ;)

Thanks a lot for all you taught, availability and assistance!

Regards,
GB

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: February 01, 2015, 10:20:47 AM »

To aren't finished yet, I'm afraid. The FOV is the screen *width*, not the height. Your 5 degree ring should just touch the screen side edges, not top and bottom edges.

And I was and am happy to help. My mission is not so much as to give a man a fish as it is to teach that man to fish.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2015, 01:31:50 AM »

The FOV is the screen *width*, not the height. Your 5 degree ring should just touch the screen side edges, not top and bottom edges.

Resizing is not an issue, but, sorry, I really would like to understand why. Maybe because target wingspan is generally seen horizontally?

Regards,
The Aspiring Fisherman

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2015, 02:15:47 AM »

The game's FOV is defined horizontally for no particularly pressing reason, other than that it's the larger dimension on 'landscape' oriented displays. To confirm this fact with certainty, do this...

Fly at very low level over a crossroad where the two roads are oriented perpendicular to each other for a reasonably large distance before any bends. When exactly over the junction, pause the game and set the FOV to 90 degrees. When you are looking at 45 degrees to the road orientation, note how one road runs into the distance along one side of the screen and the other road runs along the opposite screen edge. This demonstrates that indeed a 90 degree FOV applies to the horizontal screen dimension.

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2015, 05:28:30 AM »

Done!

What does he think the master? ;)

(btw, after these last calculation, I got values which differ from yours for about 0.0001! I did a lot of useless work, but learned also a lot... :-[)

Thanks again,
GB

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:15 AM »

If that's the full screen width, then close enough.

Technically, however, the mid-line defines the size, not the outer edge. The screen edges should slice the tangent points of the lines down the middle; at the contact points half the line should lie outside the FOV and half lie inside. If you could set a 7 degree FOV, you'd see the 7 degree circle falling a bit short of even 'touching' the screen edges.

This is not a large difference to be sure, and may seem to border on pedantry. But in the interest of full understanding...

Good job on sticking through to completion! Doesn't it feel great when *you* have the power?

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2015, 01:47:37 AM »

Doesn't it feel great when *you* have the power?

Of course! ;D

trent

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 03:01:35 PM »

Nice mod! Thank you, WxTech!  :)

One thing I did notice is that I have the same issue that Greybeard had where the Ki-61 reflector glass is solid.

Also, the A6M reticle looks very small when in gunsight view. Shouldn't the reticle appear bigger in gunsight view?

Edit:

Ok, I managed to enlarge the A6M reticle by editing reticle.mat as well as using another .tga file. I also managed to fix the solid Ki-61 reticle glass issue by editing the lines as Greybeard did in GlasRevi.mat:
tfMipMap 0 
tfTestA 1

Thanks again, WxTech!  :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.071 seconds with 23 queries.