Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Campaign Ideas  (Read 1572 times)

Ta183Huckebein

• Modder
Campaign Ideas
« on: November 26, 2014, 07:51:16 PM »

Hi all.

I have decided to try my hand at campaign building, and I would like suggestions.

I am working on a Ki-201 campaign (modded and unmodded) already, but I would like other ideas.

What plane or theater, mod or otherwise, do you want to see in a campaign? How many missions?

Post suggestions below. If there is a specific type of mission you would like to see included that was atypical for the type(regarding aircraft), please relate as well.

Have a good day and a great Thanksgiving weekend!

Ta183Huckebein
"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; But if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." - Malcolm X

greybeard

• Modder
  • diligo veritatem
    • Old stuff about RB3D and a tiny "IL2 corner"
Re: Campaign Ideas
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2014, 03:07:50 AM »

I would suggest what NOT to do (with a bit of humor):

1). A campaign which works only with DBW.
2). All planes flying at 300 km/h.
3). Player's plane trying to take-off from uneven airstrips, often with trees in the middle of the runway.
4). What-if's (like what could have happened if aliens would have allied with Fuhrer and invaded Russia with their flying saucers)
5). Rendez-vous thoroughly checked by human flying and not by autopilot (I abandoned campaigns where I was unable to ever meet with enemy in any mission).
6). Campaigns that works only with high-end computers.

;)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 - RAM: 2GB DDR @ 201 MHz - MoBo: ASUSTeK Computer INC. A8N-SLI (Socket 939) - Vidcard: 1024MB NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT (Club3D) - Screen: L1750SQ (1280x1024@75Hz) - Audio: Realtek AC'97 Audio.

Ta183Huckebein

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2014, 07:55:53 AM »

Thanks for the tips.

Since I run only SAS modact, the "DBW-only" aspect will be removed, and only the mods in the camapaign (Hopefully not too many ;)) will be necessary.

Yes, the 300 kph is annoying, and I avoid that whenever possible. (except in bomber formations)

"(like what could have happened if aliens would have allied with Fuhrer and invaded Russia with their flying saucers)" What-ifs are a favorite, but they tend to be in the "if the war lasted a few more months" (I might do that in a single mission though....)

Additionally, I fly all my missions without autopilot (never trusted it), and if the mission is unachieveable or just not working correctly, I fix what I can, remove what I can't and try again.

My computer is not "high-end" (my video card and processor are crap), so that shouldn't be an issue either.

Thanks for the tips!

Ta183HUckebein
"Be peaceful, be courteous, obey the law, respect everyone; But if someone puts his hand on you, send him to the cemetery." - Malcolm X

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Keep calm and carry on
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2014, 08:06:26 AM »

I would say: go for all those new mod aircraft and/or new maps that hasn't been made subject to any campaigns yet. There are a number of those around, just crying for the attention of a FMS-er!  :)
My aim: to build campaigns for Mods! You can find them here: http://mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads3&file=search&sa=740

rollnloop

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 08:47:16 AM »

In addition to Greybeard excellent tips, i'd had:

Not too many missions, 8 to 20 is the good range for me, after it gets too repetitive, and I like to play DiD and finish a campaign.

Not too far, a 45mn round trip is OK when playing alone, more is too much. I'm used to play 2h00 missions in coop, but not too often, and alone I get bored fast, especially since I don't use "shift to action with a black screen" function.

Extra action in addition to your flight, not necessarily hundreds of extra planes, but some action that may be seen from where your flight is going (in the 20km vicinity is ok).

Some life along the way, and in the vicinity (40km large corridor) of both your flight path, and when coming back some life in a 40km radius of your home base.

Finally, I suggest HSFX more than SAS MA, because HSFX has a powerful triggers system, that AFAIK is in no other public version yet. If MA has it and i'm not informed, go with it of course.

Ha, one last VERY (imo) important request, never EVER delay spawn planes, with triggers you can have them do pretty much what you want while stille being spawned from start, which avoids the dreadful freeze (micro or macro depending on number of planes spawned, and if another plane of same type has been already spawned. Don't try to hurry for the latest franken and make a campaign for it, use nicely done planes, take some time to make a nice historical  campaign that is fun to fly.

One of the very few good campaign designers (to this player's enjoyment) is Icefire, you can find his campaigns at M4T and have a look.

Looking forward to try some of your campaigns  :)

mishapilot

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 01:44:24 AM »

The campaign for assault FW190s (F & G versions) in the Mediterranian would be praised - this is a real gap in the game, and for He177 & Ju188 as well. P-61, Ki-67, Ki-45 campaings for Pacific theatre would be great! :)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 09:56:40 AM »

I forget the author but the "Big Bird" bomber campaign is a good example of a heavy-bomber campaign using the Western Front map which seems to strike a good balance between "realism" and length of mission.  There aren't that many strategic bomber campaigns out there that use the proper maps (i.e. they were restricted in using stock maps at the time).
A B-29 bombing campaign seems to be one that could be done.

Regardless of the campaign I would suggest adding immersion with "life" at the airfields, in the country, at the target area.  Moving vehicles, trains, ships etc.  It always helps to give the impression that there is other stuff going on during the mission.  Naturally, there is a balance required so as not to overdo it and end up affecting FPS etc.

Some subjects that might be worthy of attention;
V1 bombs and missions to intercept and/or 'tip' them.  I don't believe there's a 'campaign' dedicated to this (although there are lots of single missions).
Ground support missions such as the advance through Europe (with HSFX Trigger mod, there is great potential to make these much more immersive.  The Command and Control mod is even better but does not work with HSFX).  Applies to Korea and Vietnam too obviously.
Search and Rescue campaign? Admittedly it's probably only attractive to a select few but again with the Trigger mod it's possible to spawn downed pilots, smoke and a message where they are.  This could apply to a PBY in the Pacific or a helicopter in Korea or Vietnam.  More emphasis on survival than fighting in this case.   You could sit in the cockpit until a call comes in or you can be flying a route.  You get the idea. 

I'm only emphasizing the Trigger mod as I understand that it works with more modded versions.  The Command and Control mod is a huge step beyond the Trigger mod but as of this writing it does not work with HSFX.  I have personally used the Trigger mod and it is a very simple mod with lots of potential.  If the Trigger Mod is a Volkswagen the Command and Control mod is the Cadillac.

Ta183Huckebein

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 10:06:02 PM »

A 1944 Luftwaffe bomber campaign (with Ju-188 and He-177) is a good idea, mishapilot!
Yet another idea to work out and research.....

As far as others, as soon as I finish the base 15 missions for the IJA '46 campaign I'm working on, the next is likely to be a Ki-45 night-fighter campaign (Ki-45 Kai Tei w/ the "schrage musik" guns).

tomoose: The defense of England from the "buzz bombs" is a surprisingly untouched subject (as far as camapaigns are concerned). It would certainly give me an excuse to break out my Tempests and Meteors ;D!

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Ta183Huckebein

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 04:45:53 AM »

While likely not at all typical in real life, how about a brief diversion to another aircraft type/unit at some point in the campaign? You could introduce this to the player in the form of a brief 'conversion training' session of a couple missions' duration in the rear areas. This might incorporate bad weather navigation, dive bombing... whatever is different from the usual action through the bulk of the campaign. And of course some peril could be thrown in by way of, say, a treetop-height enemy fighter sweep that has snuck across the lines into an otherwise 'safe' zone for training. And getting to this training area could involve a transit flight, for continuity. (If this 'transfer' flight is not incorporated, at least include in the previous mission's briefing some text about the impending assignment.)

A mid-campaign 'shake-up' to break any potential for monotony.

WindWpn

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 12:02:57 PM »

Anyone thought of doing a Charles Lindbergh campaign, specifically of his actions during WWII?  Could even start it with his Paris landing in 1927 and the thralls of people crowding the airfield.

I just finished reading The Aviators and he had an interesting experience flying the the Pacific theater with both USMC and Army aircraft (F4U and P-38).  Various theaters and ground/air action.

The mission briefs could also relate to his Journals during the time with his thoughts on the barbaric nature of the pacific battleground as well as his clout as a legendary aviator across all levels of leadership, even at that time.   

~S~
wind
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 25 queries.