Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Radar for B-29 (AN/APQ-13) WIP  (Read 22218 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
Re: Radar for B-29 (AN/APQ-13) WIP
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2014, 09:44:33 AM »

I've done several searches but can't seem to find Antos B-29 Pack. Could somebody share a link? Thanks!

Yes RooMan, as Gerax explained: it is a pack that has been for a long time under development, not released yet.

Basically you should understand this as a MOD for HSFX7 version of the B-29SP until the other pack was released.

Regards,
                  Pablo

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2014, 07:39:31 PM »

That's correct, this B-29 pack (which includes new variants such as the B-29B, B-29 Tarzon, B-50A and B-50D) is still in development. The 3d was approaching a finished state when real life got in the way for me and both the 3D artists involved. I tried to revive it but unfortunately the 3d artist involved seem to not have returned. I am working with Benito though to try salvage what we have and *hopefully* release the pack sometime before the end of the year.

RooMan296

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 09:36:56 PM »

Thanks gents for the explanation!

P51vsFw190

• Flying Ass Clown #5/#7
  • Supporter
  • Connoisseur of strange aircraft
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2014, 01:32:49 PM »

I can get you guys real pictures of the radar operators section from a real B-29 when I go to work at the air museum next week.
“German humor is no laughing matter”

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2014, 07:44:36 PM »

I can get you guys real pictures of the radar operators section from a real B-29 when I go to work at the air museum next week.

There are several around. But something I haven't found explained anywhere:

Could you manage and touch the CRT scope? Could you check if it rotates so moving the guide lines? As far as I know it is a manual movement.

Regards,
                Pablo

P51vsFw190

• Flying Ass Clown #5/#7
  • Supporter
  • Connoisseur of strange aircraft
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 07:16:22 AM »

Of course I could check. I would be happy to help.
“German humor is no laughing matter”

Nephris

• 1./JG42 MDS DCG Campaign
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2014, 11:14:32 AM »

Just noticed today, thx for your work.
It would be fairly great if this mod could aswell be adapted to e.g. nightfighter like the Bf110G4 etc.
weekly MDS - DCG Campaign

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:23 AM »

Just noticed today, thx for your work.
It would be fairly great if this mod could aswell be adapted to e.g. nightfighter like the Bf110G4 etc.

The German radar in the Bf110G4 was quite different to this. It used to use a tracking radar, not a land scanning one. There have been around an implementation quite representative of the original FuG 220 radar.

Regards,
                  Pablo

Nephris

• 1./JG42 MDS DCG Campaign
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 05:06:38 AM »

Didnt find a working implementation to present mod versions like hsfx 7.03.
Is there any around?
weekly MDS - DCG Campaign

sputnikshock

• Modder
  • exclusively IFR
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 11:58:25 AM »

benito, this is fantastic...
Also it shouts "H2S" at me ;)

@Nephris: forget it, meter wave airborne radar (i.e. what was used on german night fighters) had NOTHING to do with the kind of radar screen presented here, or any common idea of a radar screen at all. They were merely a bunch of oscilloscopes, which to an untrained observer would have been completely cryptical and utterly useless. Turning feedback from these radars into an actual intercept course, or even just situational awareness, was the fulltime job of an entire crew member, who would then orally guide the pilot to the target.
Things changed a bit with the british AI Mk.8, and then radically with the Mk.10/SCR-720 centimeter wave radar, which actually had a rather intuitive PPI, but still required a dedicated crew member.

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2014, 12:00:42 PM »

Nephris, your post was not so clear. I originally understood you were speaking about the topic here (the AN/APQ-13)

If you were speaking about the radar of the Bf-110G4: with some changes it works. I have it working. I will see if I can publish some independent MOD.

Regards,
                     Pablo

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2014, 12:12:14 PM »

benito, this is fantastic...
Also it shouts "H2S" at me ;)

@Nephris: forget it, meter wave airborne radar (i.e. what was used on german night fighters) had NOTHING to do with the kind of radar screen presented here, or any common idea of a radar screen at all. They were merely a bunch of oscilloscopes, which to an untrained observer would have been completely cryptical and utterly useless. Turning feedback from these radars into an actual intercept course, or even just situational awareness, was the fulltime job of an entire crew member, who would then orally guide the pilot to the target.
Things changed a bit with the british AI Mk.8, and then radically with the Mk.10/SCR-720 centimeter wave radar, which actually had a rather intuitive PPI, but still required a dedicated crew member.

Sputnik,
               I have been working last days in a version of the H2S implemented for the Lancaster and the Halifax.

It works with a Green phosphorus CRT (as the original one) but I couldn't find enough information about ranges and other operational parameters of the H2S.

Does anybody have information about this British Radar? The Brits were quite more reserved about images or videos of this equipment.

Regards,
                  Pablo

PD: I have found a couple of differences with the operation of the real AN/APQ-13 and I have implemented them. The Sector Scan was not as a windshield wiper but as a returning clockwise one. And the scale was not tied to the image. It was moved independently by the operator. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 27 queries.