Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Radar Age: towards reality  (Read 7983 times)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
Radar Age: towards reality
« on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:21 PM »

Well,
                  finally I decided to code what in theory I knew how to implement, but never gathered enough impulse as to finish it.

This is the map of the coast of Crimea from my B-29 Radar Operator Position:

Regards,
                      Pablo

Tran Long

• KEYBOARD ARMY
Re: Radar Age: towards reality
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 01:00:54 AM »

AWESOME! ???

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 02:06:04 AM »

Yep, looks nice :)
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 03:49:44 AM »

great!  :)
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

Ace

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2014, 03:59:06 AM »

Another essential addition to our game.

Excellent, Benitomuso!

ton414

• FreeModding Team
  • Knowledge is Freedom.
    • Free Modding
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:48 AM »

Congratulations Pablo!!!, this is really an outstanding  work. ;)

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2014, 06:28:14 AM »

It is working quite good.

The image you can see here is a 100% genuine spherical projection, reproducing in quite detail the geography in an azimuth / distance planar projection:

As in real radards, the echoes appear proportionally to the distance. In this example the Range of the AN/APQ-13 is set to 5Km, so each of the rings of the scale is 1km. As you can see I was flying to 1000m aprox, that's why all the first ring doesn't have any echo on it, because the first (of the ground) appears at 1km (the altitude):

#t=188

Regards,
                    Pablo

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2014, 08:46:21 AM »

that looks great, Pablo! :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2014, 10:11:34 AM »

WOW!

Superb work pablo, i have wanted to see something like this in game for ages, really looking forward to this. Couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

1) Would it be fairly easy to add to other aircraft? Thinking of the H2S for the Lancaster and H2X for the B-17.

2) What version game will it be for? Hopefully 4.101 can be included.

3) The early radar sets needed and experienced operator to decipher the display, due to ground clutter etc, is something like that going to be included so that the 'picture' is not so clear as in the screenshots?

Forgive my questions but this is a superb addition that i am eagerly looking forward to.

regards

slipper

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

WOW!

Superb work pablo, i have wanted to see something like this in game for ages, really looking forward to this. Couple of quick questions if you don't mind.

1) Would it be fairly easy to add to other aircraft? Thinking of the H2S for the Lancaster and H2X for the B-17.

2) What version game will it be for? Hopefully 4.101 can be included.

3) The early radar sets needed and experienced operator to decipher the display, due to ground clutter etc, is something like that going to be included so that the 'picture' is not so clear as in the screenshots?

Forgive my questions but this is a superb addition that i am eagerly looking forward to.

regards

slipper

Slipper and All,

yes, the escence of this would be easily transferable to other aircrafts. Not yet, but probably I would consolidate something in a superclass that could be implemented to other planes Radar Cockpit position (even radarless ones).

But it would be good we can fill a table like this for all the equipment we know:

Plane / Radar Equipment Name / Screen (Green / Amber...) / Scale type / Range / Range steps / Angle of Scanning / Special Modes

With this it would not be difficult to make the corresponding implementation for all the planes we have that used these electronic equipments.

Slipper, thousands of things can be done to "complicate" the image and made it more primitive and rough. But I don't know if the intention of this is to produce a Radar Operator Simulator but just an approximation (more ideal) equipment.

I have implemented the chance of having controls in the same screen (somethign that sometime I tested for trimmers in the GameMenu but never released). So eventual range change, gain, etc, would be managed just from the same screen with moving knobs.

I don't touch anything earlier tan v4.12. Eventhough I don't believe too difficult it would work in eariler versions.

Regards,
                Pablo

SAS~HolyGrail

• Modder f*ck*r =)
  • SAS Team
  • A little mod in the making !
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 11:57:55 AM »

100% Pure awesomeness Pablo !  8)

~S!~
Dignified silence is worth more than a thousand insults...

slipper

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:49:58 PM »

Thanks pablo for the reply

thousands of things can be done to "complicate" the image and made it more primitive and rough. But I don't know if the intention of this is to produce a Radar Operator Simulator but just an approximation (more ideal) equipment.

Ok mate, just my preference, i like to have to do a bit of work to find my position with a bit of uncertainty added in, just the way i like to play. Maybe it could be an option of sorts later.

I don't touch anything earlier tan v4.12. Eventhough I don't believe too difficult it would work in eariler versions.

I would convert totally to 4.12, but for night bomber/fighter missions i believe CY6's C&C3.031 mod and a couple of radar mods by Sputnikshock are esential, and i don't believe they work fully in 4.12 which is a shame as i do not think CY6 or sputnik have any intention or time to upgrade them. Therefore i use a 4.101 game for these types of mission.

thanks again.

slipper
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 24 queries.