Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down

Author Topic: MOD Can_english_channel_40_41 and 42_45 revisited  (Read 57434 times)

andylamb1

• Modder
Re: MOD Can_english_channel_40_41 and 42_45 revisited
« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2019, 11:34:57 PM »

Hiya.

You need to be running in perfect mode, or, add a static campfire near to the arials in FMB to be able to see them.

Cheers Andy.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2019, 04:32:31 PM »

I'm using 4.09, and have just installed this map (collection, actually, given the 4 season coverage.) I can't open the winter version due to missing the W_airfields1.tga, and the similarly-named 2 and 3 (that's 3 textures I need.)

(I made replacements for the missing whitechalk.tga and Compans_rom_Coastline1.tga.)

So. There were 5 missing textures that should have been included. I saw a post earlier where two of them were linked to for download (Mediafire), but then later deactivated. (?!)

There were a number of included textures which seem to me to be not used.

I'd rather get the needed ones than the unneeded ones when obtaining a map. ;)

After all this time, why has not the first post ever been provided a link to these missing textures? Or the full download been updated to include them? Not all of us have long ago got hold of Cannon's original creation (assuming the very same textures were utilized, without alteration.)
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2019, 01:50:03 AM »

The "missing" textures are part of CanonUK's original English Channel maps which is included in all modpacks. You have to able to deal with this type of problems if youre building you own modpack under 4.09. You should simply download a modpack and extract what you need in your own install.

https://ulozto.net/!c0gP9BuqiPXi/w-airfields-7z

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2019, 06:50:13 AM »

Istvan,
Yeah, I suppose such Johnny-come-lately, behind-the-times Luddites as myself shouldn't expect all the old stuff to be maintained up to the minute. ;)

Thanks for the fields!
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Drewm3i

« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2021, 09:55:32 PM »

I have a question for any of the modders here...I was watching this video and was taken aback by the beautiful cliffs in this video:

I'm not sure what map in BAT that is from, but those cliffs look better than the Cliffs of Dover on the Channel maps originally made by Cannon and others in BAT. Is there any way, those cliff meshes could be implemented in a Channel map in 1946? If I knew how, I wouldn't ask, so maybe it isn't possible on a larger map.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2021, 11:45:05 PM »

That's one of the stock maps that's been in the game for well over a decade. I forget the name, but it's a kind of generic representation of the North African coast. The cliffs bracketing the river are taller than the chalk cliffs of Blighty, and so can appear of better form because the scale of the triangle-based polygon 'zig-zagging' is reduced in proportion.

Drewm3i

« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2021, 01:24:43 AM »

Thanks for the response! So to summarize, if I had any idea what I was doing, I could theoretically achieve results similar to the video by increasing the height of the cliffs? Because the cliffs of dover in 1946 is one of my pet peeves LOL. The rest of the channel map is pretty good!

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2021, 06:15:55 AM »

Drewm3i,
Indeed, with the unlocked FMB (Full Mission Builder) you could alter or create maps to your heart's content. Last year I modded this Desert Online map with the sharp cliffs you like so much. I find the presence of deeply eroded rock, which morever appears to have been just recently laser cut, for such a minor river in desert conditions to be a geomorphological impossibility. And so I notably weathered down the rock to something at least a bit more plausible. Here's the thread;

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,64369.0.html

If I were so inclined, I could have done any number of things. Such as retaining the terrain, but extending the river the full width of the map, thus making the latter a more significant feature.

In the case of the Channel maps, increasing the cliff heights for real, known geography would be unrealistic. And it would still be unsatisfying due to the coarseness of the landscape polygons. Now, if appearances were the sole driver, o e could make, say, a double scale map, where 1 km at map scale is 2 km at game scale. Then the underlying polygons are shrunk to half size, making for a denser 'grid' of vertices and hence better sampling with less harsh jaggies. Or one could take this further, with a 3X or 4X scale. But any such up-scaling would be most odd to play on.  ;)

Drewm3i

« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2021, 03:58:25 PM »

So I can edit meshes, textures, and the map terrain FMB? I may have to give this a try.  :-|

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2021, 04:37:26 PM »

Search hereabouts for "unlocked FMB". Use the dedicated Google search field near the bottom of any forum page.

Drewm3i

« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2021, 04:45:24 PM »

Awesome, thank you! I am going to try it with the new BAT when I get a chance to download the game again.

Tangmere1742

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2024, 12:55:19 PM »

I've noticed that the airfield textures don't matchup with their respective airfields on English Channel (canonUK/tbauchot) maps.

For Example RAF Westhampnett is now Hawkinge.

And RAF Gravesend is now Lympne

I'm not sure but did I miss an update somewhere because I'm sure it did not used to be configured this way, I remember landing at Hawkinge several times thinking how accurate the textures were.

Am I missing something? Is there an update to the map where the textures align better?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 24 queries.