Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WxTech Trees - Appearance Adjustment at Pop-up and in Distance  (Read 11668 times)

Uufflakke

• Modder
Re: WxTech Trees - Appearance Adjustment at Pop-up and in Distance
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 07:52:05 AM »

On mulling over the use of 2048 pixel .tga's for trees...

Is this at all necessary from a game play perspective? Pretty pics at the hardstand, sure. But flying and fighting?

Yes.
At least for me it is.  :)

free jpeg images
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2014, 12:21:45 PM »

I can see the advantages of a high resolution tree. Chief among them is the maintenance of separation between opaque and transparent parts out to good distance. This effectively 'blends' the objects with their surrounds somewhat more than at low resolution. Is there a discernible frame rate hit with these 16X larger (in area, compared to 512 px square) textures?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 01:11:01 PM »

Is there a discernible frame rate hit with these 16X larger (in area, compared to 512 px square) textures?

I flew under exactly the same conditions, no cockpit view, not looking around, automatic pilot on.

Without HighRez mod, Forest=3 and default 512 size Slovakia trees:

With HighRez mod, Forest=3 and 2048 size Slovakia trees:

Summarized: HighRez mod enabled with highrez trees does have a better (!) frame rate than without mod and with default trees.
The opposite as what might have been expected.
Note: Same results after a second check.

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 02:52:51 PM »

...  :D ... Intel Core i7 4770K 3.5 GHZ, MSI Z87-G4 5 Motherboard, Watercooler Corsair Hydro H80i, 12GB RAM, GTX760 2GB

... you've got a very nice PC amigo ...!  :P

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 09:25:10 PM »

Could it be a different .dll which is responsible for the frame rate improvement?
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people. - Hyman Rickover (but probably predating his use.)

Ass Eagle

« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 10:39:37 PM »

I would try this mod, but I have HD trees, and I like em. :)

Fresco23

• Part-Time Skinner
  • Modder
  • F.A.C. #23
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 10:40:57 PM »

fresco,
Is it a hardware limitation which restricts you to sub-Perfect graphics? My previous computer could handle it, and it was purchased in early 2004.

I am not sure what is the reason. PC is from 2012. Relatively fast. Perhaps maybe I am not setting it all up right. I have tried and tried.  :(
cogito, ergo sum armatus

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 11:45:37 PM »

For the high resolution trees, is the appearance at popping into visibility satisfactory? Or would a reduction in prominence be desirable? If the latter, anyone using them and who is has a suitable graphics program can simply use my images' alpha channel as a template of sorts to suggest how much to trim off the alpha channel. Just paint over with black the bits which are not to be seen. Making the to-be-seen parts smaller in extend and/or sparser makes tge far awat tree less bulked up and thereby less obvious when popping in and out.

To understand how the game creates these trees, temporarily use this mod and observe how trees morph in different ways for each type as view distance varies. Doing this in the FMB is best. This will tell far more than any words I could put here. It really is instructive to do this...

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 08:03:25 AM »

I gave this mod a try by disabling Carsmaster's HighRez Mod, changed entry in conf.ini to Forest=2 and dropped your folders in the right place (and disabled the tree and trees folder I already have). So things won't get mixed up.
But, I don't see a difference at all or the difference is so subtle it is hardly noticable.
Still trees popping up out of nothing.

Forest=3 neither does the trick. However I get the strong feeling it is all based on Forest=2 with the explanations of how to edit the line of 5 trees.
Because the line of 5 trees gets replaced by the (much better) random trees automatically with Forest=3.
And, I really have no clue why editing the .tga's of the line of 5 trees should influence behaviour of random trees (auto pop-up trees) in far distance?

Anyway, is there anyone around who got it working?

PA_Willy

« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 09:50:41 AM »

I gave this mod a try by disabling Carsmaster's HighRez Mod, changed entry in conf.ini to Forest=2 and dropped your folders in the right place (and disabled the tree and trees folder I already have). So things won't get mixed up.
But, I don't see a difference at all or the difference is so subtle it is hardly noticable.
Still trees popping up out of nothing.

+1 here.

I have tried this mod and I have got the same feelings.

Ass Eagle

« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »

Changing my conf.ini to Forrest=4, along with carmaster hirez trees, got rid of the line of 5 trees, and improved my FPS. Also, for winter maps I most definitely have winter trees, not a green leaf anywhere. Did what uu did, didn't notice anything.

WxTech

• Modder
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »

Whichever map you're using must have in its load.ini the correct name in "Tree0 =". The files I included are mostly, if not all, named as supplied with 1946. If there is a name mismatch, my tweaked tree .tga's won't load.

You may need to temporarily alter the Tree0 = line in load.ini for the map you're testing with. A good all round tree to try is AlteredBush8a. Or instead, you can rename the set of 3 AlteredBush8a images to that expected by the map (which, as usual when modding, will require a game restart so as to 'register' the new files.)

If this doesn't bring up the correct tree .tga, I'm stumped...
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.