Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: BoS Single Player Campaign Unveiled!  (Read 19477 times)

'MadDog'

Re: BoS Single Player Campaign Unveiled!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 08:33:04 AM »

That is incorrect my friend. BoS carries the name IL2 Sturmovik not because it contains legacy modes of play but because it contains DNA originating with the original. That DNA still exists because 1C Game Studios is born from an amalgam of 1C and 777 studios and some of the staff would certainly have worked on the Maddox team.

Unlocks is just a facet of the mode, it has nothing to with 'kids who play arcade games'. This is a below the belt attempt at ridicule which has no basis in fact.

shoresroad

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 09:49:29 AM »

Loft is not a visionary of change, and he's no Oleg Maddox.  He's just a dude who bought the IL-2 brand and built an Edsel and its very disappointing.  Unlocks have been around since the Gold Box days and aren't original thinking.  Loft is a dog with a bone who wanted a bigger bone (the arcade crowd) and has dropped the bone he had.

But, the good news is we still have IL-2 1946!  Used to be each new generation of games was a mega leap in graphics, but not so much anymore.  And no way I would trade the lame game play I've seen so far in BoS for the game play in 1946 just for the eye candy.  BoS is a very pretty game with great sound, but its the kind of game that makes you go "Wow" and then set it down 20 minutes later because its too shallow.  Its like a Vegas showgirl.  BoS is very similar to Wings of Prey in that way.  Loft has turned his back on what made 1946 great - its DCG and FMB which are both missing in BoS.

'MadDog'

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 10:11:04 AM »

The brand is moving on and it's leaving you behind. The EA community is growing well and contains many of the well-known characters of the bygone age of 1946. Enjoy what you fly, that's what matters.

vpmedia

• Modder
  • www.vpmedia.hu/il2
    • VPMEDIA SKINS
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »

Please, dont talk about the "bygone age of 1946" on this forum. ;)

The only area where BoS beats modded IL-2 is graphics/3d.

'MadDog'

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2014, 10:52:34 AM »

Why not, it's a nostalgic term of endearment, a respectful nod to one of the bedrock combat flight sims? Furthermore, this sub-forum is for Battle of Stalingrad so please practice what you preach!

For your personal info, BoS beats IL2-1946 in significant areas, not least the fact that it pays much greater attention to the physics and aerodynamics involved. Graphics are superior yes but still inferior to CloD I would say. This is a compromise to widen the playability base and keep the game engine within known parameters. By the time of release there will be much which is more advanced than how it was done before. This is to be expected, these things will improve over time and the 1946 engine is limiting progress sharply.

shoresroad

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2014, 11:08:01 AM »

And Loft has said the BoS engine has limited the ability to produce a DCG and FMB without extraordinary effort.  So its not progress at all, its a tradeoff - flight dynamics and graphics for game play.  I'll take the latter.  BoS has the depth of a console game.

'MadDog'

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2014, 01:02:23 PM »

And Loft has said the BoS engine has limited the ability to produce a DCG and FMB without extraordinary effort.  So its not progress at all, its a tradeoff - flight dynamics and graphics for game play.  I'll take the latter.  BoS has the depth of a console game.

Depends on what you want from a flight sim. I look for the accurate portrayal of the environment in both flight physics/aerodynamics and graphics. Currently, the BoS  action is only MP and that is getting really good in for example the Syndicate server which is missions based. These will expand exponentially and provide a lot of depth. For me, gameplay as you call it is of less import.

The FMB will be released some time after general release, a few people already have it. This time next year there will be lots of user made content, that much is clear. If you don't like that, don't buy it - I kind of assume that you aren't flying it - but there is a lot of enthusiasm for how it's developing amongst a great many of the long serving 'hardcore' flight simmers.

shoresroad

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2014, 04:07:36 PM »

The FMB will be released some time after general release, a few people already have it. This time next year there will be lots of user made content, that much is clear. If you don't like that, don't buy it - I kind of assume that you aren't flying it - but there is a lot of enthusiasm for how it's developing amongst a great many of the long serving 'hardcore' flight simmers.

I have owned the BoS Premium Edition for over 6 months and the FMB is my last hope for the game.  If they do it right where we can create true campaigns and not just single missions the community can step away from the console game concept BoS has become.  But I'll grant you that many MP players just don't understand the fun SP players have with the IL-2 1946 DCG or community made campaigns using the FMB, and many SP players just don't understand the fun MP players have with any of the IL-2 games.  BoS seems to be doing MP well from what I can tell on the BoS forum and that's great.  SP players are screaming bloody murder right now on every forum where BoS is discussed.  And yes, I've been on the BoS MP servers and that play style just doesn't interest me but I'm glad you are having fun with it.

LuseKofte

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2014, 05:17:52 PM »

I must admit there is some very narrow thinking going on here and some totally inaccurate mud slinging too. For the paper plane fans, ROF has been a great success and the SP component I am informed is good. Loft is correct when he says that the great majority of flight simmers are single player types and as such occupy the ground of the silent majority perhaps. The MP crowd is much more vocal but is not the focus. A lot of effort is being put into the BoS SP and to prematurely dismiss it all is just daft.

I have played very many IL2 1946 SP campaigns and enjoyed them tremendously but they are not the last word, there is much that can be improved. I think that BoS will go a long  way to bring that about. It's amusing that Loft gets criticised when the single player release is not even available in Early Access. Give them a chance to craft the thing first!

Already BoS MP is better than 1946 MP ever was in my view. I think their iteration for SP will  follow the same path. As always, tempi cambi , and we shall see.

What do you expect, they said them self that ME was shait, I hope they come up with a possibility to make campaigns. There are just not much to expect from official publisher in the long run. IL2 survived so long because of community made campaigns.
You should not be too touchy , Loft himself has not gotten any criticism for the SP mode , I just do not think it is going to happened.
They said they will not publish a campaign that is connected either

Ibis

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2014, 06:54:03 PM »

I pre-ordered BOS and have loaded every patch and still I try it then
resume making missions in IL2.
                From what I have read about their FMB it appears that I have
 waisted my money.
   shame really.

LuseKofte

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2014, 12:01:40 AM »

I fly it on a daily bases, Bos is really closer to IL 2 than Clod ever was. If ME one day are working properly , there are very good reasons for being optimistic.
Dedicated servers like Syndicate , are very fun to fly in. With transport missions that works.
My impression however , with new games in general , is that Single player are generally ignored, and I think it will be in this one too

shoresroad

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2014, 01:03:29 AM »

My impression however , with new games in general , is that Single player are generally ignored, and I think it will be in this one too

Unfortunately you're probably right about that, and that's what makes BoS so disappointing for many Single players.  The IL-2 brand had always been different in that respect, so hopes were high for great Single player content once again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 8   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 21 queries.