Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RELEASE Dock stuff Part 2  (Read 3144 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
RELEASE Dock stuff Part 2
« on: September 01, 2014, 01:02:28 PM »

Some cargo for the cranes;
A bunch of strapped oil drums, and two cargo nets (different sizes).  I've arranged them on one crane to show the different cable lengths.
Three cables, each their own object so you can place them where you want.  Be warned, it's tricky trying to line these suckers up with the cargo, LOL.

A stack of oil drums suitable for docks or airfields, plus the tugboat that's been driving me nuts, LOL.

One question for the modding gurus.  Each object is displayed with the little white house icon but despite keeping my object along the center lines in gmax I sometimes get the icon (i.e. the center) off-set in the game which makes things a bit awkward when trying to move them.

NOTE: backup your static.ini file prior to making any changes.  Place the various folders in the zip file into your mods folder, for example;
C:\Program Files (x86)\IL2 DBW\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\#DBW\Dockstuff\3do  (your folder order/names may be slightly different).

Get the objects here:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/94nbmpvouu48x2h/Dockstuff2.rar

Epervier

• 4.09 Guardian Angel !
  • SAS Team
  • I'm French and Rebel_409! Nobody is perfect!
    • Some tinkering here
Re: WIP Dock stuff Part 2
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2014, 01:08:50 PM »

C'est peut-être mieux en le centrant dans 3dsMax... peut-être...  :-X
C'est bizarre ton histoire, surtout si tu y fais attention dans GMax!  ???
GMax et 3dsMax n'ont donc pas le même centre !  :D

Perso ça me gêne pas trop... on s'y fait ! ;)

Bravo et merci pour ce nouvel opus !  :)
If your results do not live up to your expectations, tell yourself that the great oak was once an acorn too. - Lao Zi -

BOYAN

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:17:13 PM »

Great work mr. Tomoose! Do you think something could be done about that concrete dock texture? Its low res, and the objects only enhance that...

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 05:02:40 PM »

Great work mr. Tomoose! Do you think something could be done about that concrete dock texture? Its low res, and the objects only enhance that...

I do not think its possible to give the top part of the dockyard more definition or make it in higher quality.
I have done many tests in the past with this model already.
The side-view part you can place a better higher resolution image ( that is the part where the ships touch the docks)
but the top part will still look a little pixelated in some areas.
So it is a little tricky to place into this top area an image which will blend in perfectly (seemlessly) .
 The dockyard model is a very tricky skin to paint.

Great new models Tomoose.
Thank you so much once again.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2014, 06:06:44 PM »

I do not think its possible to give the top part of the dockyard more definition or make it in higher quality.
I have done many tests in the past with this model already.
The side-view part you can place a better higher resolution image ( that is the part where the ships touch the docks)
but the top part will still look a little pixelated in some areas.
So it is a little tricky to place into this top area an image which will blend in perfectly (seemlessly) .
 The dockyard model is a very tricky skin to paint.

Great new models Tomoose.
Thank you so much once again.

How about using some of the airfield plates with a static.ini entry that raises them a little to get better defined detail on the dock? You might raise them up and sit them on top of the dock structure.

David Prosser

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2014, 07:05:14 PM »

Thanks, I look forward to using them.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41:59 PM »

How about using some of the airfield plates with a static.ini entry that raises them a little to get better defined detail on the dock? You might raise them up and sit them on top of the dock structure.

That is a great idea.
New skin texture for a new static-object using a runway piece ... it might be possible.
We must make tests to see if this is possible.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: RELEASE Dock stuff Part 2
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 06:02:35 AM »

Airfield plates is a good idea but all other objects would have to be raised also.  :-\

just champi

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2014, 08:27:23 AM »

One question for the modding gurus.  Each object is displayed with the little white house icon but despite keeping my object along the center lines in gmax I sometimes get the icon (i.e. the center) off-set in the game which makes things a bit awkward when trying to move them.

While waiting for some modding guru, maybe it worths to remember that we can differentiate (at least) about three different main "centers" related to an object in a scene inside 3dsmax or Gmax:

1- the center of the scene, wich is the origin of grid axes where x,y and z coordinates reaches a value of zero.
2- the center of an object, or barycenter, generally speaking we can say for our 3D pourposes that means its center of mass.
3- its pivot point, wich is the point in the space used as a center for all the transformations you do in an object (move, rotate, scale)
that's the one you can edit inside Gmax or 3dsmax and place it in any location you want, even outside of the object or far away from it..

Also that's the one that matters, when you model an object and export it to IL-2.

(Normally, distance from center of coordinates to an object is calculated related to its pivot point, not to its center, and in hierarchies, parent's pivot point is used to determine rotation and position of its childs objects)

Often the center of an object and its pivot point may be located at the same spot, but that not has to be the case, always. (for instance, when you create a cilinder in Gmax, its pivot point is located at its base, not at its center)

The thing is that while you can have an object perfectly centered in the grid "visually", its actual pivot point may not be at the grid center as it seems. An usual example of this is when you attach an object to another: the attached object takes the pivot point of the object wich is attached to. So, usually is good practice to check where your pivot point actually is, and change its location if it is not where you want it.

my bet is that you pivot point is not (centered) located where it should. That would be the reason for the offset you have noticed.

To edit the pivot point of an object, check the right control panel for a tab between "IK" and "System"  called "pivot".
There you have some options to use with pivot points.
Normally the one you will be using more would be "Edit Pivot point".
Once you press this button you can move, rotate or scale the pivot of an object without affecting the object itself.
The other button that comes handy is the one called "center pivot to object" and it does just that.
Maybe you want to explore other possibilities to see what happens. ("align to world" or "reset move, scale and rotate" are very useful in some situations)
Hope this helps you in some way, good luck with your projects.

tomoose

• Modder
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2014, 10:58:30 AM »

Champi;
I think you may have hit the nail on the head and you gave me an "aha" moment.  I think I will have to reset pivot points prior to running the buggy-buggy script which is something I hadn't considered before.  I'm willing to bet you are exactly right as I have had to reset pivot points during construction when I detach or attach a part.  I just hadn't thought about checking that with the final product.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 28 queries.