Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: The Marshall Islands (beta)  (Read 25190 times)

Tecnico66

Re: The Marshall Islands (beta)
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2014, 01:32:12 PM »

Marshall Islands, a B29, some ships.....the worst Bikini in the history!!!

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2014, 02:31:18 PM »

One small problem: "Month" in the load.ini is set to 2. This gives snow if Conditions are set to Rain/Snow.

:cheers:

Thanks for catching that. I'll release an update. I wonder how it would snow if it's supposed to be 27deg C outside??? haha

P.S. Does the month in the load.ini matter anymore now that you can set it in the mission files themselves?

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2014, 02:52:42 PM »

Snow ?  ???
Really?
Great Great !  ;D
 I want to see snow in the islands. Woooo-Hoooo!
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

242Sqn_Cat

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 02:57:23 PM »

P.S. Does the month in the load.ini matter anymore now that you can set it in the mission files themselves?

Set the Configuration to June and it still snows! I think that the date in the configuration settings must only affect the position of the sun (and moon?). The load.ini still controls the weather.
:cheers:

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 03:42:00 PM »

An update is in the works. I recently read something saying the Japanese base at Mille Atoll was only a lookout staton/outpost in early 1942, so that base will be changed to a much smaller one without a functioning airfield. The forthcoming early 1944 version of the map will feature a fully developed base on Mille Atoll. I will also change the month in the load.ini.

...The main troop concentrations under the 6th Base Force coincided with the concentration of construction projects on the four atolls of Kwajalein, Wotje, Jaluit, and Maloelap. Mille, which was to be extensively developed during the war, was at this time merely a lookout station...

...Early in 1942 Makin was made a seaplane base and, after Carlson's raid, the Gilberts with Nauru and Ocean were strongly garrisoned by forces under 6th Base Force command. During this eighteen-month period, Mille was transformed from a lookout station to a major base, while installations and fortifications on Kwajalein, Jaluit, Maloelap, and Wotje were constantly improved. In June of 1943 the 66th Guard Force was activated at Yokosuka and assigned to Mille. Originally, the Japanese had intended to use this atoll as a staging point for aircraft in a proposed campaign against the Ellice, Fiji, and Samoan Islands, a plan abandoned after the American invasion of the Gilberts. Some air facilities were completed by November 1942, but the atoll was not fully developed until a year later. By that time Mille was one of the best defended atolls and had the largest garrison in the Marshalls if Kwajalein and Roi-Namur are counted separately...

If you want to read more:

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-P-Gilberts/USA-P-Gilberts-13.html

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/USN-CN-Raids/USN-CN-Raids-1.html

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2014, 06:40:33 PM »

If you have any issues loading a mission on this map, set these lines in your conf.ini:

TexCompress=2
TexFlags.TexCompressARBExt=1

See this thread for explanation by SAS~Storebror:
https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=17194.0

I got the "Paratroopers/Russia/mono.sim not created" error a couple times when trying to load a mission today.

mikey117us

« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2014, 12:45:44 PM »

I concur Milli was without an airfield from CV-5 Attack ( Yorktown ) of 1, Feb. 1942 Marshall/Gilbert Raid.
Attack on Mili Atoll.

The five scout bombers composing the Mili attack group were launched at 0604 from position latitude 5°01' N., longitude 172°06' E., and picked up Mili Atoll 30 minutes later when at an altitude of 2,000 feet. The group then climbed to 12,000 feet, taking cover in a bank of clouds along the eastern edge of the Atoll. Absolutely no military targets were visible from this altitude so the group went down to reconnoiter and found only a large barn-shaped structure, probably a storehouse on the island west of Tokawa Island. A section of three planes were ordered to attack the storehouse at 0720 and the second section of two planes to withhold attack until a better target could be found. Due to the low ceiling no bomb hits were seen on the warehouse. After reconnoitering the western area of the atoll, the second section attacked another small warehouse and a storage tank (probably for water). The group rendezvoused over Knox Island and took departure for the Yorktown at 0810, landing aboard about 35 minutes later.
I had a problem Saving Missions but altered my BldConf.ini and Have Saved and Loaded About 1/3 of The Feb. 1, 1942 Raid I have Completed. It Looks and Works Flawlessly. A Great Addition!

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #43 on: July 24, 2014, 02:05:05 PM »

I concur Milli was without an airfield from CV-5 Attack ( Yorktown ) of 1, Feb. 1942 Marshall/Gilbert Raid.
Attack on Mili Atoll.

The five scout bombers composing the Mili attack group were launched at 0604 from position latitude 5°01' N., longitude 172°06' E., and picked up Mili Atoll 30 minutes later when at an altitude of 2,000 feet. The group then climbed to 12,000 feet, taking cover in a bank of clouds along the eastern edge of the Atoll. Absolutely no military targets were visible from this altitude so the group went down to reconnoiter and found only a large barn-shaped structure, probably a storehouse on the island west of Tokawa Island. A section of three planes were ordered to attack the storehouse at 0720 and the second section of two planes to withhold attack until a better target could be found. Due to the low ceiling no bomb hits were seen on the warehouse. After reconnoitering the western area of the atoll, the second section attacked another small warehouse and a storage tank (probably for water). The group rendezvoused over Knox Island and took departure for the Yorktown at 0810, landing aboard about 35 minutes later.
I had a problem Saving Missions but altered my BldConf.ini and Have Saved and Loaded About 1/3 of The Feb. 1, 1942 Raid I have Completed. It Looks and Works Flawlessly. A Great Addition!

Thanks for the additional info! I'm also working on a Feb. 1st Raid mission. We should both post our results when complete.

mikey117us

« Reply #44 on: July 24, 2014, 08:08:33 PM »

The Bulk of my U.S.N. Research for CV-6s involvement in the Marshall/Gilbert Raid is here.
http://cv6.org/1942/marshalls/default.htm
A Wealth of Knowledge for The Enterprise on This Site. It Will be Awhile before my "Raid" is complete as I am populating Bases. And Researching the Japanese Disposition of Aircraft at each Airfield/Seaplane Base and Anti-Aircraft. While also working on a Huge Mission Christmas over Rangoon ( which I need a Break from ) ( Also a serious request should be made to Modders for this Map and all Japanese Pacific Held Island Bases ). MOD of a Type 89 127mm Dual-Purpose Turret ( Land Version ) A Cut-Out Turret from a Japanese Destroyer Modified to look like The Image. Is That Possible to do in Il-2? 
This is a U.S.M.C Photo Snapped in 1945 on Kwajalein.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #45 on: July 24, 2014, 10:59:04 PM »

mikey, i'm sure it's possible, mate - probably a good idea to make a proper request for it in the request section, where it stands the best chance of being noticed, and picked up... ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

DaveOD06

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2014, 06:49:09 AM »

Update has been released! Check first post to download

It Will be Awhile before my "Raid" is complete as I am populating Bases. And Researching the Japanese Disposition of Aircraft at each Airfield/Seaplane Base and Anti-Aircraft.
I just posted a template that populates each base with Japanese equipment.

MOD of a Type 89 127mm Dual-Purpose Turret ( Land Version ) A Cut-Out Turret from a Japanese Destroyer Modified to look like The Image. Is That Possible to do in Il-2? 
This is a U.S.M.C Photo Snapped in 1945 on Kwajalein.
I made a request for something similar before, but no one responded and I think it got deleted eventually. Basically, all that needs to be done is to yank the guns off some of the destroyers and cruisers and make them into coastal artillery. I would think there would be very minimal 3D work to be done. When I get the time I want to learn how to do that kind of stuff myself.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2014, 07:26:36 AM »

SAS~Skipper made me some land based guns for my retexture of Lonestar's Truck map.

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,39315.0.html

There are 200mm guns from a Japanese destoyer and guns from a US battleship that are functional. They rotate, target aircraft and ships. If you dont want to download the map just let me know and I'll send you just the guns. Maybe I should post them in a thread of their own anyway. I'll make a thread later today but if you need them right away just go download the map.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 21 queries.