Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: A campaign installation question  (Read 2504 times)

ol' Navy

A campaign installation question
« on: June 30, 2014, 06:38:25 AM »

I don't have the heart to ask those who have been helping me so diligently on my last campaign problem, so I'll just ask my silly question here for everyone to see. :-[  When I download a campaign  I unzip/un-rar it into a temporary file first.  Then, I double click down through e.g. missions/campaign/GB/(name of campaign), then I copy the campaign name into its proper place.  I do the same for any skins, samples, etc.  My question - is anything wrong with doing it that way?  I'm wondering if that is where my problem lies with the campaign I am having problems with now.  Is there another way?  Thank you for your help and responses.

'MadDog'

Re: A campaign installation question
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 07:23:50 AM »

I cannot say if this is somehow the cause of your current difficulties but I can say that you are introducing a wider possibility of error by doing what you're doing. When you download the campaign it is as a compressed/archived file. First thing you need to do is to unzip this file but what utility are you using? I used to have problems when I used WinRAR for example but ever since I have been using 7-Zip this process has been flawless. I recommend it as you can install everything directly from the downloaded compressed file without having to delve deep into the folder structure and copy stuff across from here to there.

So once downloaded I open the Campaign file to find folders named Missions, Paintschemes etc. I highlight all the folders that I need to go straight into my root directory as Monty has packaged his campaigns conveniently in the same way. I then extract the highlighted folders by pointing to the root folder and that is the job done. Puts everything into its place and never an issue.

This is so simple Bob, removes the room for error that your method brings.

ol' Navy

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:27:44 PM »

I cannot say if this is somehow the cause of your current difficulties but I can say that you are introducing a wider possibility of error by doing what you're doing. When you download the campaign it is as a compressed/archived file. First thing you need to do is to unzip this file but what utility are you using? I used to have problems when I used WinRAR for example but ever since I have been using 7-Zip this process has been flawless. I recommend it as you can install everything directly from the downloaded compressed file without having to delve deep into the folder structure and copy stuff across from here to there.

So once downloaded I open the Campaign file to find folders named Missions, Paintschemes etc. I highlight all the folders that I need to go straight into my root directory as Monty has packaged his campaigns conveniently in the same way. I then extract the highlighted folders by pointing to the root folder and that is the job done. Puts everything into its place and never an issue.

This is so simple Bob, removes the room for error that your method brings.

I use 7zip also.  But you say you highlite all the folders you are gonna need to go straight to the root directory.  I understand that.  When do you do that?  But then do you copy/paste them?  Is that what you mean by "extracting" the folders?  I can't unzip the folder then can I?  It's just a folder.  I can right click on it and 7zip is one of the options, but when I click on that, it gives me some options that I don't understand, like archiving them or some such.  Once I download the zip/rar file to my desktop, part of the unzip process asks where I want it to go.  Previously I send it to a Temporary folder.  Are you saying just to point it at my game folder at that point and it'll put them where they belong?  What becomes of a file like the readme?  Should it go into the root directory also?  I know I am making this unnecessarily difficult, but there is just part of it I don't understand.  I have been doing these the "difficult" way I suppose for so long I guess I'm just stuck in my old ways, admittedly not always correct.  Thank you for sticking with me.

'MadDog'

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:03:23 PM »

Sweet Jesus Bob, got any Xanax? I want you to follow this guide from now on:

Download the campaign and save it wherever you save your campaigns & missions.
Open the file with 7-Zip and you see folders which need to go into the root directory. If you want include the Readme but it isn't a necessary file, just useful to read.
Highlight all the folders you want and then click on 'Extract'.
Browse to your 1946 root directory and click 'OK'. All those folders go straight to where they are needed.
Close the archive and job done. Period!

ol' Navy

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:20:21 PM »

Open the file with 7-Zip and you see folders which need to go into the root directory. If you want include the Readme but it isn't a necessary file, just useful to read.
Browse to your 1946 root directory and click 'OK'. All those folders go straight to where they are needed.

I think I got it now.  Thank you.

ol' Navy

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 11:52:11 AM »

Not sure what Xanax is, but I'm betting that some of the cancer medicine I have been on can rival it whatever it does.  Thanks for the advice.  I just never used 7zip quite the way you guys do I don't think.

'MadDog'

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 12:13:42 PM »

Doctor's prescribe Xanax as an anti-anxiety medication often. Your post read to me as if you were getting yourself in a twist with how to install the campaigns. I always look for the easy and simple solution to a problem, and something straight forward and intuitive is less likely to bring error with it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 29 queries.