Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: What Really Keeps Me From Embracing CLoD...  (Read 1486 times)

WindWpn

• Modder
What Really Keeps Me From Embracing CLoD...
« on: January 14, 2014, 08:32:02 AM »

One word....  "Clarity of visuals"

The recruitment call from ATAG prompted me to revisit my CLoD install recently which is correctly patched to TF's v4.0 version.  I rarely load CLoD, though its on the hard drive, and when I have spent time in CLoD the effort was primarily to use settings and tweaks to maximize/optimize/correct the visuals.  I have studied all the recommendations and employed them all to have decent visuals, but not perfect.

Last night, I spent an hour simply flying the Cliffs of Dover static offline campaign.  Its an enjoyable campaign with nice dialog for an interesting read between missions as well as nice execution.  However, after an hour on CLoD, I finished up my night with and additional hour on IL2 4.12.2 (modact 5.3) flying the East front DGEN campaign.  Frankly, my eyes were much relieved in the IL2 sky with very clear, clean visuals, and an overall feeling of things being "right."  No shimmering distance, aircraft dots were clear and as planes neared, they remained clear other than slight LOD changes. 

Perhaps its because I spend most of my time in IL2; however, I think it simply boils down to the visuals.   CLoD looks great with the detail and atmosphere; however, there are aspects which simply are not clear with shimmer even if "reduced."  Whereas in IL2 it looks great top to bottom.

I see videos of CLoD which I think really look tight, but perhaps its an illusion?  Or are there some settings or perhaps hardware requirements to really make it tight and on par with IL2.  Basically no shimmer at all.

As for my rig, here are the specs:
 - Hardware:  i7 950, GTX 670, 12gb ram
 - Nvidia 332.21 driver w/Nvidia Inspector

Could list out my Inspector profile, but its basically a conglomeration of best tweaks noted in other forums.  Also have my CLoD config.ini set with all recommended tweaks.

All in all, why cant it have the clarity as seen in IL2?!

~S~
wind

rhinofilms

Re: What Really Keeps Me From Embracing CLoD...
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2014, 07:22:46 PM »

I have the exact same experience.  I find myself alternating between the two games.. COD is great but then I play modded 1946 and my eyeballs say "ahhhhh".

LuseKofte

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2014, 10:37:24 PM »

Personally I cant live without any of them. IL2 offline is the best online nothing beat clod

LuseKofte

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2014, 11:50:11 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 26 queries.