Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down

Author Topic: Westland Lysander my first aircraft project with gmax.  (Read 43083 times)

Cally18

Re: Westland Lysander my first aircraft project with gmax.
« Reply #156 on: January 22, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »

that is some cool stuff!!  8) 8) 8)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #157 on: January 23, 2017, 02:02:16 AM »

Tried again before tinkering some projects, but the back flash
of old failures came along like an uppercut.
I wish I could, have plenty of stuff, but no
balls to get behind and understand.
I would grew grey hairs when of sort
understanding a bit. 😣
Much respect to all who try and go on.

You mentioned a Template, that's where my
eyes flash. Cool you think about releasing it as well.
Tobias

I guess we all have strengths in fields other than what we would really want to do Knochenlutscher but do not let your past
incidents dissuade you from giving it a go, yes it is frustrating and on more than one occasion I also felt like giving in, the
past few weeks have been worse as I get closer to the finish but somehow with help and encouragement from those here
I keep taking it on the chin and coming back. ;)

Best bet is not to do what I did and build a full aircraft first but do something smaller and build up confidence, there is a lot
to take in and you will certainly falter along the way but do not give up on a dream.

The template is a mess at the moment, lines are taken from profile images and have had the White removed and separated into
pieces that cover different areas but I need to do the painstaking task of building all the panel lines and rivets etc, I have not done
a full template since the Cant Z-506 so it will be like learning all over again. :P

Most of it is layers containing the baked on map of the individual parts with another layer on top with the colouring so that I can
identify just what I put where and at the moment the thing is not quite finalised as to where everything will go, still need to add
ribs and such for the damage areas of keel and stabiliser etc, although the main aircraft body parts I think will now remain where
they are.

The template is as much a integral part of the build as everything else and as such is something I want to complete myself, that said
it will not be to the same standard of excellence as others here so there will be much for the skin artists amongst you to apply your
artistic talents when I do release it hopefully at the same time as the model.  I intended to do the default skins complete and a set for
one particular Air Force and then leave the rest to you guys.

Looks good, nice job :)

Thank you, glad you like it so far.

- just in case anyone cares.

Kopfdorfer

I do Kopfdorfer, hopefully that is of use to the others viewing as well.  I have spent a life time in manufacturing so am familiar with that stuff, others might not be so it will be of benefit to them I hope.

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm42/Mission_bug/Album%202/Alpha%20working_zpsq9shn8ty.jpg~original

May I make a suggestion? For whatever MAT file you have for the damage model, would you please make a backup of it, and try using this value for the alpha and see if it looks better/helps?

Code: [Select]
  AlphaTestVal 0.2
  tfTestA 1
  tfTestZ 1

Because your Alpha channel is very sharp, this will help make it smooth like in one of my experimental objects.  8)

Yes I will give it a go, thank you very much, really appreciated. 8)

The image you quote was done still with the painted details in position so things were not aligned as well as I would have liked
so that makes the edge look much worse as it has that irregular black outline, later I removed it from the template and just used
the alpha cut holes so the effect was not as noticeable but it was still rather ragged.

that is some cool stuff!!  8) 8) 8)

Thank you also Cally.

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #158 on: May 26, 2017, 04:05:01 PM »

Hello guys, sorry it has been so long since I posted an update on progress but health issues have prevented me progressing this at a pace I would have liked but here is  how it stands as of today. ;)

An alpha experiment. :D

I also tried this the other way but forgot to take a image.

From seeing other models in game I thought maybe the effect where the body parts become holes when hit was done on this texture but all this did was show the effect permanently so I guess that comes from the damage textures found in the plane folder and as such they need making for your specific aircraft.

Trouble is there do not appear to be any tutorials or damage templates available to experiment with only mention of various shades of White, Black and Grey to make holes or glass effects. :(

Anyway with many days wasted on that little experiment I then decided to just cut sections out of the damage meshes themselves and here they are:

Not the best way to go about it but here it is in game:

It really depends on what hits the model and where to see each damage mesh, sometimes you will just get the texture effect, other times the aircraft just explodes and sometimes you see one or more of the damage meshes appear.

Work has been done on the stabiliser, elevator, keel and rudder damage models and at the same time some corrective work to fix and re-map the edges of those components:

The black circles in the ribs should be transparent in game if I did it right although I get no points for artistic ability there.

I have no good information on the internal structure of the stabiliser and elevators so what you see is as good as it gets, the  bar is for the elevator but my modelling is a little simplistic in that the elevator should be larger as in real aircraft it seems to be covered by a plate which I think is hinged on the stabiliser and covers it.

Here we see the aileron, flap and engine damage to working:

Engine D1 and D2 are visible and the cap is in there but needs developing and only shows when the whole aircraft blows up.

The ailerons and flaps also have D1 and D2.

As I do not know how to make the damage textures so they show the detail under the skin the various stages here also have been done by hacking up each mesh into various stages of destruction so I could at least test it worked.

If I ever figure out how to do it properly using textures I will change it over. :D

The elevators are the only parts of the control surfaces that indicate they have been hit and are inoperable by text on the screen so work still needs to be done to figure out why the others do not.

Still needs all Lods making and a lot of tidying up as well as the cockpit sorting out but it is at least  usable  in game  more or less as a fully functioning model even if it has took five years or so. o_O

I might release this as it is soon to the rest of the you and then develop it further from there, give you something to have a play with. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #159 on: June 15, 2017, 03:24:05 PM »

Hello guys, even though the WIP is now in the public domain there is still much to do, here are a few images. ;)

More detail has been added to the internal structure of the fuselage in the form of stringers so the damage holes
do not look quite as big and empty now. :D

The instrument panel is also under construction and is using the modified panel from the Hurricane with instruments
relocated to the positions they occupy in the Lysander drawing I am working from:

At least with the panel made the aircraft will finally start to feel complete especially when I get the stick and other
items separated and moving. ;)

Kopfdorfer

• Potez 63.11 France's most significant AC in 1940
« Reply #160 on: June 15, 2017, 03:36:02 PM »

Looking Great , Mission Bug !

You're almost there !

Kopfdorfer

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #161 on: June 24, 2017, 01:25:24 PM »

Looking Great , Mission Bug !

You're almost there !

Kopfdorfer

Yes, finally after more or less five years it is getting very close to a finish.  :D

Here is the panel again virtually finished:

Most of the instruments have come from the Hurricane but some have been moved around a little, one comes from the Mosquito
and the boxes I made.

External view, a image inside the cockpit was taken and cropped and sized to the skin to replace the previous diagram
image as used in the current upload:

Once the cockpit is finalised this will be adjusted accordingly by taking another image and updating the skins for all schemes
currently in the Paint folder.

Most of my information shows the Mk.III panel so that is more or less what you see above, unfortunately I cannot find anything
for the Mk.I and only a few images of the Mk.II.   Most of the photographs show that the central panel is standard as are quite
a few of the other instruments but there are differences not only between the three models but essentially every panel I have a
image of, nearly all also have dials removed in various places. :o

Once all the instruments are finally in place I can then turn my attention to making the stick, pedals and throttle function.

Flying H

• "And you can fly, high as a kite if you want to..
« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2017, 04:40:18 AM »

Whow, you really have invested seriousl time and effort into the project! Impressive work!
And you can fly, high as a kite, if you want to.........

heaven17

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2017, 10:20:45 AM »

This is a hugely interesting and informative thread for all modders, especially 3d modellers and your work and your sharing of your project with the community is to be highly commended.  :) :)

Your damage modelling is very good - my only fear is that it will make the stock game damage modelling look rather primitive by comparison ;D ;D

Thank you and I hope to see your Lysander in the game one day :)

heaven17  :)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2017, 11:30:24 AM »

Whow, you really have invested seriousl time and effort into the project! Impressive work!

Glad you like it, yes it has been a major investment in time and effort but worth it from
my point of view as the work helped me with other projects and vice versa. 8)

Thank you and I hope to see your Lysander in the game one day :)

heaven17  :)

Good to know the thread has been informative, the whole point was to hopefully help others if possible as I
overcame each issue. ;)

The aircraft has already been released but does not yet have some of the features shown in recent posts:

http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,55466.0.html

Here is a further update showing the addition of various data labels and some of the instruments altered to look like they have
been removed, a feature of many real aircraft:

Take care.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #165 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:40 AM »

Hello guys, further work on the damage model has at last made some real progress. :o

The current model available for download uses separate meshes each with the faces
removed to reveal the internal structure below, however, I have finally got a damage
effect using alpha cut holes applied to the uncut mesh.

Still much to fine tune as it lacks the overall effect seen in some of the existing models but certainly progress. ;)

cgagan

• SAS Team
« Reply #166 on: August 08, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »

Looks fantastic! Keep up the good work! 8)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2017, 01:12:50 PM »

Looks fantastic! Keep up the good work! 8)

Thank you, I really appreciate the support you have given throughout, hopefully it will get finished soon. ;)

Moving on from the previous damage picture I showed above is a further update.

Damage model for the aircraft now uses alpha cut holes in the skin1o for the damage model, damage1o textures are from a D3A not sure if they
are stock or a repaint from Max or Istvan though.  Damage 2o is mine, however, I still do not know how to construct these so it is a temporary
solution.

All body parts are identical and have a internal structure that will be visible once the damage state brings it into use, the previous separate
damaged parts are no longer used as they were a  temporary expedient and the alpha is now used.

There has been some tidy up work done on the meshes and some dark and shiny areas were altered to give a better appearence. 
The wing tips were made again and the flaps and ailerons altered to remove or reduce the previous dark and shiny areas.

Hopefully this gives the overall aircraft a better look although some blemishes remain.

Parts of the slats have been re-mapped so the edges do not now show other parts of the template so the cockpit view of them looks better, some
adjustment was also done so the cockpit view of them is improved.

To do list:

Make canopies open.

Add skis.

All parts require lods.

Complete the lines and schemes on the template.

Marking overlay meshes need making for the aircraft.

It is a very slow evolution and I am much happier with it now than I was, hopefully the new damage effect
is much better on the eye than the previous one with all the cut a way parts that is currently available to you. 
At the time it was the only way to go but I have now realised that I had the alpha layer turned on for the main
Gloss1D0o mat which is why in previous shots you could see the odd effects as I tried different things with the
alpha layer.

Gmax does not have the types of cutting tools available in other applications so the only way to do it was to remove
large chunks of the meshes by deleting faces, trouble was things like the wing skin were long pieces because of how
I built it so it never really looked right but it did prove that I had everything working.  I could have cut shapes using
Boolean but it leaves a lot of stray vertices that are difficult to clean up so it was the best alternative at the time.

Anyway, I now know where in part I went wrong but there are still a lot of unanswered questions and the way it is now
also creates a few difficulties.

I think I have done all I can to the 3D, it is not going to get any better no matter what I do so I am going to spend some
time on the template now, a different kind of frustration but I need a change of scenery so to speak. :D

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 27 queries.