Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Prelude to War - Ar196 campaign ( floatplane / pontoon aircraft / campaign )  (Read 7627 times)

fokker95

Campaign: "Prelude to War"

This is a short 6 mission campaign focusing on the AR-196 aircraft. It is a ficticious storyline in a backdrop of WWII that leads the player pilot down the road to becoming a fighter pilot on the Graf Zepplin. If something doesn't seem historically accurate, that is because the story is ficticious and I have taken some artistic and creative liberty either to make the storyline more interesting and fun, or for my own personal enjoyment. So just have fun and enjoy it. If you think I could have done something different or better with it, then I welcome input/suggestion.

Thanks for taking the time to download this campaign. I hope you enjoy playing it as much as I enjoyed both making and playing it.

Installation:

Just unzip the file someplace, and drop the contents of the "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" folder directly into your IL-2 1946 installation. It may ask to overwrite, just click on "yes". It should not actually overwrite anything however, as I have given everything unique original names.

You will find the campaign listed in the German Luftwaffe campaign section when you select a new campaign.

Oh, and if you use realistic navigation, you can enjoy the Deutch Rundfunk radio station. I have supplied about a dozen german songs from the time period gathered from archives on the internet. You are not permitted to use them for any commercial profit what-so-ever, but you can certainly enjoy them for yourself in your IL2 game. The music will only work on the Rundfunk radio station and in the year 1939. I will probably add more years with music and  news in the upcoming Graf Zepplin campaign series, which will include music and news for the BBC as well as more german stuff for the Rundfunk station.

ENJOY !

"Prelude to War" download link:
https://www.mediafire.com/download/fdgcoiko2n24n2r/IL-2_Sturmovik_1946.zip

"Prelude to War" Rundfunk radio music:

This is the rundfunk radio (popular pre 1940 german music), for the "Prelude to War" campaign. Any other missions or campaigns that use the rundfunk radio station in 1939 will play this music as well. If you already have music for rundfunk radio for 1939, you don't need to worry about this overwriting anything, as I have given it unique names. It should simply add to the collection of music available to play for the year 1939. This is not needed to play my campaign, but it does add to the ambience and immersion of game play by offering historical music of the time period via the rundfunk radio station.

Installation:

Just unzip the "samples" ZIP file somewhere, and drop the "samples" folder into your "IL-2 Sturmovik 1946" folder. It may ask to overwrite, just click on "yes". It should not actually overwrite anything however, as I have given all the music unique original names. All of the music is historical and popular german music from the time period (pre 1940).

ENJOY !

Music samples for 1939 download link
https://www.mediafire.com/download/a2bjq8lbmoe56et/samples.zip

** NOTE: Just an FYI this campaign is object intensive. So you will probably need a somewhat beefy system to play it smoothly. There is over 2,000 objects. I tried to bring the city and areas around it to life.

sphantom

• retired Fighter Pilot
  • If you wake up and see grass roots growing

Your media fire links are not working

fokker95

Sorry about that. I think it is working now :)

sphantom

• retired Fighter Pilot

got it Thanks

David Prosser

Thanks, fokker95. It's a good premise for a fictional campaign.

cheers

David Prosser

fokker95

Let me know how you guys like it. BTW, I just remembered, I had made a custom static object entry (basically I used the nazi flag object and raised it up so it would sit on top of the ramparts). You might have a problem with the game saving the missions status without that entry. I will post up the text tomorrow. You will simply have to stick it into your statics.ini file someplace (anyplace). Alternatively, you could probably load the missions in FMB and save them off again and it should remove the flag object. Either way. I had forgotten about it until today.

sphantom

• retired Fighter Pilot

Sounds great looking for it. and you did a great job on this mini campaign. Looking forward to the carrier one.

fokker95

Add this entry below somehwere (anywhere) in your static.ini file, which should be found here :

\IL-2 Sturmovik 1946\#DBW\STD\com\maddox\il2\objects\static.ini

[buildings.House$FlagSwastikaR]
Title           Flag_SwastikaR
MeshLive        3do/Buildings/Pacific/Flag_Swastika/live.sim
MeshDead        3do/Buildings/Pacific/Flag_Swastika/dead.sim
AddHeightLive    6.50
AddHeightDead    0.0
AlignToLand     0
Body            WoodSmall
Panzer          0.05

That should take care of any issues you might be having in regards to the missing flag in the missions.

fokker95

Has anybody run through the campaign to completion yet ? :) Would love to hear your feedback. Things you liked or didn't like :) I personally liked the night mission...and the invasion of Poland I thought was a bit hair raising :)

sphantom

• retired Fighter Pilot

I flew it twice and enjoyed it both times.
                                                     Thanks

telephono

Re: Prelude to War - Ar196 campaign ( floatplane / pontoon aircraft / campaign )
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2013, 10:59:06 AM »

Thanks, fokker95.

I really like this campaign. The world detail is amazing!

fokker95

Re: Prelude to War - Ar196 campaign ( floatplane / pontoon aircraft / campaign )
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 09:55:26 AM »

Thanks, fokker95.

I really like this campaign. The world detail is amazing!

Thanks for the kind words! I really wanted to make Wilhelmshaven and the port seem "alive". Since it isn't your typical combat mission(s) (which is engrossing by itself) I had to put some serious thought into how I could make the missions interesting and enjoyable. I felt that the environment was a key aspect to it. I could have done more, but frankly, it was a monumental undertaking doing Wilhelmsahven and the island town alone. I could have done a lot more with Bremen, and it is sort of "unfinished" but I felt it had enough character to let it "fly" like it was. :) Hearing comments like yours makes it all worth the time and effort, and knowing that people enjoy it :) It gives me incentive to do more.

I am hoping to have the first installment of the Graf Zepplin campaign finished soon, and it is mostly done, but I got a bit sidetracked on another project I wanted to finish up. I am not sure if I didn't make it too hard though. I guess we will find out when I release it. It is not an easy campaign. There are two points in it already where, frankly, if your not sweating like a pig, and having increased heart rate and blood pressure, you must be super human hahaha. For sure, in one mission, you will be thinking less about getting kills, and more about how you are just going to come through it alive. Your heart is defintiely going to sink and fleeing entirely might be your best choice. hehehe. I have fought it out and survived with kills (albeit shot to hell in the process), but I want to tell you...it was tough as hell LOL. I did this because, in reality, engagements were not always well balanced, or in your favor. Sometimes some of the great pilots of WWII found themselves alone, against overwhelming odds, and yet, they managed to survive. I wanted to bring this aspect to bear at least once in my first campaign, and believe me, you will see what I am talking about when you get to that mission. I am a pretty old hat and quite good at fighter piloting, but the first 3 minutes of this engagement will seem like a lifetime, and you will be using all of your skill and intelligence to survive before the field will start to level out and other pilots come to your aid. It is tough, but I hope not too frustrating for people. We will see. Several of the missions are no "walk in the park" that's for sure. I will see what the feedback is like and that will determine how I move forward in the next installment (ie: whether I should tone it down a bit in terms of difficulty...I mean the objective is to have fun, as much as it is to have a challenge) I will hopefully find the right balance :)
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.083 seconds with 25 queries.