Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: IL-2 3D Modelling Tutorials Originally Posted by FltLt HardBall  (Read 44692 times)

Silverback

Re: IL-2 3D Modelling Tutorials Originally Posted by FltLt HardBall
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 07:31:42 AM »

Guys could someone please post a PDF version of the modding bible.

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 07:43:20 AM »

Oh and just a word of advice to guys just starting out with 3D for Il-2, pay close attention to the LOD stuff. There's nothing more vexing than seeing an awesome model that you know you can't play with because LODs weren't taken into account.
This is not as important as is was when the game was first released. Graphics cards are much more powerful and so the original need for 4 or 5 levels of LODs has reduced. This does speed up the process and lower file sizes, we have debated using 2 LODs only - one detailed and one mere "rough blob" for distance, as the item is only a spec by then ...  ;) . This allows 3d guys to make more models ..... and that has got to be a good thing.

G
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Pursuivant

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 05:39:44 PM »

This is not as important as is was when the game was first released. Graphics cards are much more powerful and so the original need for 4 or 5 levels of LODs has reduced. This does speed up the process and lower file sizes, we have debated using 2 LODs only - one detailed and one mere "rough blob" for distance, as the item is only a spec by then ...  ;) . This allows 3d guys to make more models ..... and that has got to be a good thing.

That said, the Daidalos Team guys are still really strict about maximum polygon levels. Also, minimizing the number of polygons in a model is just good practice.

CharlieFoxtrot

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 06:03:12 PM »

you just gave me proof that i will never get into moddeling  ;)

mac1

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »

Hmmm a quick quesiton... I was putting parts together recently and noticed that if you build a model in the correct orientation in your 3d program, then the coordinates in the hier.him file can be "Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0" for everything and the model will be assembled correctly without me ever having to use Kumpels program. So it seems to me that the co-ordinates for each part is relative not to a central point of the overall model but raher to a 0,0,0 xyz location at the centre of the individual piece that you are placing. Would I be correct in assuming this? Which leads to my next thought which is, if you build your entire aircraft correctly centred and don't move anything before exporting then you don't have to work out any co-ordinates in the hier.him, all you ahve to do is paste Attaching 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 into every entry. I did this and it worked perfectly....  ???

SAS~Loku

• SAS Team
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2010, 02:09:15 PM »

In theory yes, but dont forget planes in il2 are using parts they need to have correct pivot point ,ailerons,elevator,rudders,props,wheels,if not all,these parts before export must be put into center of XYZ and oriented align XYZ axis to work like they should,then you must put proper "Attaching" coordinates to place those parts back on their place.
P7a/P11c/f/g P24a/b/e/f/g PZL23/42 PWS-10/26 R-XIII RWD-10/14 GeeBeeR1/R2/Granville P-45 , WhippetMkI, Sdkfz-234/1/2, Kurogane, TKS, Wz.29/34 and some other shit XD

yakovlev999

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2011, 10:57:42 AM »

HI I have the 3ds Max 9. Is not good for him?
or i must get the max 5?

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2011, 06:58:36 PM »

HI I have the 3ds Max 9. Is not good for him?
or i must get the max 5?

I assume you are talking about Polychop, then you do need 3ds max 5, sadly the program isn't supported by it's developer.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 07:31:50 PM »

I have one question.

Now, I have a perfect 3ds Max modeling data of a plane or a ship.
Its all-in-one 3D modeling data.

But I have to divide this data into multiple sections/objects, fuselage ,tail fuselage, vertical stabilizer, wing, etc.

In 3ds Max/GMAX, what a easyest manupilate is it to divide?

And if I can, I want to auto-made Hier.him's x y z position parameters of parts.
Though base model is all-in-one, editing Hier.him by text editor and adjust a part a bit, next part a bit... I feel headache.... :'(

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2011, 01:09:10 AM »

Select the object you want to divide.
Select the polygons within the object which you want to detach.
Use the "Detach" function.
Rename the detached part to the name you want.
Select the new object you have created and adjust the pivot point position and orientation, if required.

western0221

• Modder
  • Live in Japan
    • IL-2 itaki blog
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

Thanks a lot ashehouse!
I will use Detach.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2011, 11:00:14 AM »

After reading this as thoroughly as possible I have even more respect of the modellers here at SAS and at other IL-2 sites.
It's a kind of rocket-science.

Thanks for all your hard work. :)
I have headache. :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 21 queries.