Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: FMs and flight characteristics across the MOD packs  (Read 1534 times)

'MadDog'

FMs and flight characteristics across the MOD packs
« on: June 15, 2013, 06:45:47 AM »

Hello

I have been away from IL2 1946 for a while now, wallowing in the graphical splendour that is Cliffs of Dover. I am going to reinstall soon and am wondering on what people here think of the relative merits of DBW and HSFX especially in regard to accuracy of FMs. I remember that HSFX has its expert mode with remodelled FMs by Aachen. Are these very different from the DBW ones, which I assume are still the default ones? Can anybody throw any light on how say a Bf 109 would fly differently between the two installations.

Also, I am very interested in using the Cyberolas map repaints. Have they been used in any written campaigns yet to anyone's knowledge? As my machine can play CoD at maximum quality settings then even the heaviest campaigns for 1946 at the highest video configuration will play great. I am thinking of TFM Special Editions and the long-awaited Battle of Britain redux.

Any insight much appreciated by a long time fan of this community.

Blue Skies to All

SAS~Boomer

• SAS Honourable Member
Re: FMs and flight characteristics across the MOD packs
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:51:27 AM »

Hi

All of Cyberolas repaints are meant to replace the default maps
you can install them as separate maps,but you can also just replace the default maps with his repaints
That is the way I run them in my own personal game
and that way,all the old campaigns should still work

FM debate has gone on since IL-2 started,even was a debate with stock/default IL-2 and official patches
Best for you to download both and try them yourself to make your own decision

FM debates with"this Mod pack versus that Mod pack",usually do not go very well in an open forum debate!

IMHO,it is best for you to try both,and then you can decide

'MadDog'

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 07:37:10 AM »

Hello UP~Boomer

That is good news that I can go ahead and replace the default maps with his repaints. I guess he has done it this way so he can go through the whole series of maps and improve en masse. If there are any Eastern airwar campaigns covered by these map repaints that you could personally recommend then I would be most appreciative. I fly the Bf 109 by preference and am looking to involve myself in a few offline campaigns for this theatre of operations. I am reading up on the various improvements to the 109 cockpit that I can get from here as well as great skins and 3d packs.

CoD is an awesome BoB canvas but it's nice to be able to spread one's wings a little further afield too. I have high hopes for BoS when it comes out next year after having seen the leaked pre-alpha.

I would never dream of starting any kind of 'debate' over something as subjective as a flight model and there has been more than enough of that kind of thing over the last few years. My approach is to promote the positive aspects and to appreciate that we all perceive things in different ways. What would be useful would be people's broad-brush experiences across the various packs as long as we concentrate on what people felt was good and added value to the experience.

The flight sim community is so niche anyway, my view is to always search for what we have in common with regards to our love of WWII aviation.

It's great to return to SAS as it was such a trusted friend of the past.

SAS~Boomer

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 07:48:52 AM »

lots of missions and campaighns at M4T
Take some time to browse over there,they have a lot of content to download

http://www.mission4today.com/

Most FM /Modpack versus debates just never go well in IL-2
I have never seen one that has anyway

As I said,it is better if you,yourself
download both Modpacks,fly them and you decide what you like best

Too many die hard IL-2 fans with there own opinions,
it is an endless debate over this Modpack is better than that Modpack
Not just FM's

UP3 is suppose to be going back to UP 2.01 FM's (By request of end -users)

'MadDog'

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 01:57:46 AM »

I was prompted to read up on UP3.1 from your last post. I have already tried Stock, DBW and HSFX in the past and enjoyed them all for different reasons. I have never flown IL2 1946 online before and will look into finding a co-operative squadron to fly with. I recently did that with Cliffs of Dover and JG53,who used to use UP2.1 before moving on, and have been having a blast. Scripted campaigns are great but flying with real people on TS is even better. I really like the rearm and refuel functionality which has unfortunately been removed from CoD with the TF mod patch.

It may be that the online co-op scene is not very active now but I will check it out. Really hope it isn't long now for the release of UP3.1.

SAS~Anto

• Aussie Bush Pilot
  • Editor
  • Retired from modding
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 08:04:16 AM »

Hey euanemblin! Another fellow JG53 member :)

Essentially the DBW and SAS buttons flight models are a hybrid, derived from what our admin team here consider the 'best' flight models out of Ultr@pack, HSFX, Histomod, AAA UI and stock (plus some of our own). Whilst realism is what we aim for, we've also chosen flight models which fly and 'feel right' in game. There are sometimes limitations to the IL-2 flight engine and also sometimes limited real world info on the flight envelop of aircraft. Where those cases exist, we've tended to go with the 'best fit' and 'feels right' approach. Also remember SAS has always aimed to cater to the offline campaign and coop players, so FM consistency hasn't been such a strenuous requirement as it is with online packs and you may also find some of them have extra features e.g. opening canopies.

So our FMs aren't necessarily better than others, but in terms of compatibility for mods, ours are pretty comprehensive and will allow you to use any mod with DBW, SAS Mod Act and HSFX6 ;) BUT it might not guarantee online compatibility, that's all
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.096 seconds with 25 queries.