Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Back it up!  (Read 8387 times)

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
Back it up!
« on: May 27, 2013, 09:30:38 PM »

Hi,

Many people like to install addon stuff into their Il-2 (everyone really) and the fact remains for all of us.

Sometimes, a mod install can corrupt your whole game.

Yes, that is right, I have had my Il-2 corrupted after I installed one or two mods! Sometimes the problem is fixable and other times it is not, which is why backups are important.

Back up the folders that will get screwed up easily (#DBW, #SAS, #UP#, etc.) as well as Air. ini and sensitive things. That way you can revert back to your working install and not have to start modding your game from scratch!  :D   

A very good program to use when doing this is WinDirStat. AKA Windows Directory Statistics, the program helps you conveniently, quickly, and neatly organize and manage your files on your Hard Drive.

Link: http://windirstat.info/index.html   

If you back up your stuff, you can very easily recover your data.

After installing big modpacks or mods that require lots of file editing you should back up and that way you don't have problems.

It is as straight forward as that.

EDIT Dec.1, 2014!
Here is some very useful info from Mr. Tomoose,
HotelAlpha;
for Windows 7 (and later) users, the "Restore" function is an excellent option.  I've used it a couple of times after coming to grief with an install or mod issue.
The "Restore" function has to be switched on in Windows similar to the Firewall.
If it is activated then all you have to do is highlight your screwed up folder in Windows Explorer, right-click and select "Restore previous version".  Windows will show you a short list of previous backups of that folder and you simply select the backup closest to the date of the meltdown.  Click on that and you will be prompted to "Restore".  It will then restore just that folder.  It will take a little bit of time but it is not restoring your entire system, just that folder.  Just remember that the closest backup date may not have other mods you had successfully installed after that date so you may have to reinstall those particular mods if you get my meaning.

It has saved my butt a few times, it is already part of the Windows system so no 3rd party software required and I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps.

This is also very good!     

So long folks, and happy modding!   
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

Rex Ursus

Re: Back it up!
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 09:47:14 AM »

Yes.   Windirstat is a great little program.          Can I make a complete backup of my game if it is a steam download?

Paulo Hirth

• MOD is Life!
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 01:16:35 AM »

Yes, i do backup with winrar, big help.

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2014, 07:04:27 PM »

Yes.   Windirstat is a great little program.          Can I make a complete backup of my game if it is a steam download?

Hell yes, go to the steam apps folder, commons, etc. while in WinDirStat and you got it down.
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 07:45:19 AM »

HotelAlpha;
for Windows 7 (and later) users, the "Restore" function is an excellent option.  I've used it a couple of times after coming to grief with an install or mod issue.
The "Restore" function has to be switched on in Windows similar to the Firewall.
If it is activated then all you have to do is highlight your screwed up folder in Windows Explorer, right-click and select "Restore previous version".  Windows will show you a short list of previous backups of that folder and you simply select the backup closest to the date of the meltdown.  Click on that and you will be prompted to "Restore".  It will then restore just that folder.  It will take a little bit of time but it is not restoring your entire system, just that folder.  Just remember that the closest backup date may not have other mods you had successfully installed after that date so you may have to reinstall those particular mods if you get my meaning.

It has saved my butt a few times, it is already part of the Windows system so no 3rd party software required and I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps.

<Gunny>

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 08:53:23 AM »

I use 7zip to back up files. Its easy to use and fast.

The one file where most screw up occur is the STD [ air.ini ] file is located.
Before you install any thing just zip the STD folder because you know it is working.

I do this every time I install a new plane -ships- trucks  or any thing else.
http://www.7-zip.org/

NS~John The Mad Ace Pilot

• #1 of the New Squadron
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:09:50 AM »

I agree. Some people dont think twice. And when they install mods all at once than they dont know which mod is causing the crash or tehnical difficulties. I like everyone here on this forum recommends to install one mod at a time so that they can see what mod is causing the difficulties and crashes. This happened to me alooong time ago with my GTA San Andreas.

Catahoulak9

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:14:02 AM »

You are sooo right HotelAlpha.

Just the very thought of having to rebuild the game from scratch maked me vomit on my keyboard. If you have the space, just copy the entire game somewhere. If you screw something up, which as we all know is very easy to do, you can just copy over the selected folders and files from your duplicate copy. It may take a while to complete the copy process, but nothing like the time it takes to re-install, patch, and update everything from zero.

Now excuse me while I clean up this mess.

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 03:03:53 PM »

You are sooo right HotelAlpha.

Just the very thought of having to rebuild the game from scratch maked me vomit on my keyboard. If you have the space, just copy the entire game somewhere. If you screw something up, which as we all know is very easy to do, you can just copy over the selected folders and files from your duplicate copy. It may take a while to complete the copy process, but nothing like the time it takes to re-install, patch, and update everything from zero.

Now excuse me while I clean up this mess.

Before this guide, I screwed up my game so many times, I am used to the vomit by now, and have gone through several keyboards  ;)

I now have a copy of blank Il-2 in my system, along with the 4.12.2 "beam me up" patch, as well as a copy of all the new 4.12 monty files.  This should be good until 4.13!

HotelAlpha;

Hope this helps.

Yes, this is also very true! Thank you very much for this info, on first post!

sixstrings

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2017, 08:30:43 AM »

Keep all my sims on a external SSD along with a Il-2'46 stock and a 4.12 version as back-ups. That way if i mess anything up i can always go back and restore to before the problem. Have a 1TB SSD so plenty of room for my install back-ups. Just a thought.

Toobone

• Mapper
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2019, 05:14:43 AM »

This is offtop, of course , but this topic name is very suitable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DknChNIWfis

Links to all 3 days music:

http://forum.aviaskins.com/showpost.php?p=199057&postcount=147
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.074 seconds with 26 queries.