Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get Cliffs of Dover?  (Read 7824 times)

LuseKofte

Re: Should I get Cliffs of Dover?
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2013, 06:19:47 AM »

BOS can be interesting, I will buy it, I like ROF but prefer WW2. But you are right it has nothing to do with Clod

Dataman

• SAS~Tachikoma
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »

Battle of Stalingrad has NOTHING to do with CloD. It is a totally different sim made by the RoF team and using the IL2 brand to hopefully get interest (they don't have mine). It will NOT be an addon to CloD, unlike Battle of Moscow which was being developed by the Oleg/Luthier team until the top brass pulled the plug on both CloD and BoM.
CloD is now playable since the last official patch, even on my old rig, though offline still leaves something to be desired (I don't play online). At current bargain prices you can't really go wrong by buying it.

We will have to see what Team Fusion can do to improve CloD- they are not working on it as full-time professionals and don't have the source code etc. Their first patch, however, is impressive, bearing in mind the above limitations and that work only started after 1C officially pulled the plug on CloD at the end of last year.
What I meant about waiting for BoS was to wait for a discount.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2013, 11:01:34 AM »

There won't really be a discount since CoD has been officially abandoned by 1C.
As to those complaining of performance issues, I'm surprised. Game has always been smooth for me, even when I detested it!
But seriously if you have the hardware to run it it's a no brainer.

WindWpn

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2013, 02:38:01 PM »

Picked up CLOD on Amazon for $10 with shipping about 2 months ago.  Good buy for the sim and the TF patch is free.  Overall, not bad online, but as others mentioned it lacks "staying power."  For me its the shimmer at distance which simply causes my eyes to get buggy after a while.  I spent two weeks reading/researching graphic tweaks and have them all in place and it indeed looks pretty good running on my GTX 670, i7 Quad, but the shimmer at distance is a show stopper.  Simply cannot apply the graphical AA needed to clean it up. 

Interesting the topic of "staying power" for the current flight sim lineup.  I have nearly all of them from FSX, DCS (Blackshark and A10), BMS 4 (falcon), and IL2.  For me, IL2 has the most staying power as I spend the vast majority of my flight sim time here both online and off.  Perhaps its the active modding community and ability to see constant improvements to the sim, though I think it is more.  Online, I enjoy full switch servers only and offline its DCG primarily.  I simply keep coming back and when I load up IL2 it feels like there is a real task at hand to achieve.  Plus the vast opportunites flying PTO, ETO, MTO, etc... really given a breadth found no where else.

My second right now is BMS 4, though I spend far less time in the Falcon than in IL2.  However, as with IL2, BMS 4 does have an element of staying power which likely is the offline dynamic campaign engine.  Regarding DCS and FSX (Accusim Spitfire) I spent some time, but these flavors soon wore off.  Not sure why, but likely DCS offline campaigns are lacking (note, original DCS Blackshark has a strong offline campaign community; however now that has waned) and FSX... well fun to fly around the world, but more fun to shoot something down.

All in all, IL2 seems to have the best "staying power" of the entire lot.  Seems others here feel the same way.  Definitely the best $40 bucks I ever spent on a video game picking up IL2 1946 way back when....

~S~
wind

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2013, 01:31:44 AM »

lol, i can't even get the patches to work for this.
after hearing about the team fusion patch, i tried downloading it, 3 times in total, which is no joke with my bandwidth speed, and each time the mod installer just fails straight off the bat.
really, i have no desire to put myself through any unforced stress, so i herewith wash my hands entirely of this 'sim that could've been.'
for those of you who have it working, enjoy! unfortunately, i won't be among you.
good thing i still have trusty ol' IL2 to fall back on. :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2013, 09:06:43 AM »

I have a Steam account with some games on it (ArmA 2 , TF2, Ace of Spades, etc.) and I saw the Steam version of CloD there and thought maybe that has all the patches installed in it. As far as I know steam Auto updates your games, so hopefully CloD is no exception?  :-\   

Anyways I am going to get it on steam today since I really want to try it out. I will posy here whenever I get it so I can tell you my experience.

Graphics card is in the supported list; maybe I can get good graphics on my first try at it?

Anyways I will keep you updated.

Best,

Hotel
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 09:20:32 AM »

Hey hotelAlpha have you got Arma 3 lite?

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2013, 09:24:10 AM »

No, but I really want it. My Vid card (GTX 260) should handle it on medium, at least, with no problems...   8)   

I will get it when it gets released as a full game!  ;)  Then it will be very fun.

"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2013, 09:47:23 AM »

I can give you a alpha lite pass, if you add me on steam so i can gift it to you.

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2013, 09:57:32 AM »

Cool! Check your PM's.

pippin

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2013, 10:11:27 AM »

Bought CLOD a few weeks ago for UK 10 pounds and installed the Team Fusion patches, I have got to say that this was the best buy I have made in a long time! excellent graphics and great game play!
  I am loving it.

Ian

baronbutcher

• Lost in space and in time!
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 01:15:07 AM »

Bought CLOD a few weeks ago for UK 10 pounds and installed the Team Fusion patches, I have got to say that this was the best buy I have made in a long time! excellent graphics and great game play!
I am loving it.
I have CLOD but haven't played it for awhile. Must try the Team Fusion patches. Well worth having for a few pounds agree, thanks for the info. Cheers :)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 26 queries.