Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Should I get Cliffs of Dover?  (Read 7822 times)

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
Should I get Cliffs of Dover?
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:12:52 PM »

I want to get it, the game looks clean, elegant, and exciting in multiplayer. But I heard it is buggy and underdeveloped.

Since there are people here that seem to have success or problems with Cliffs of Dover I really want an opinion over the game.

Anyways I think my PC should get it good:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3450 @3.10 Ghz and 4 cores (Quadcore)
RAM: 2x sticks, 4 Gigs each = 8 GB's total
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
Power supply: 650 Watt Antec
Video card:Nvidia EVGA GTX 270
Monitors: DUAL MONITORS   

Your opinion?

BTW this is my 1000 post! Yippee!
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

Dataman

• SAS~Tachikoma
Re: Should I get Cliffs of Dover?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »

Beats my specs. :D
Here's mine:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 single-core clocked at 2.66 GHz
RAM: DDR1, 2 GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce 6200 512 MB
HDD: 40 GB (14 gigs of which is taken up by my IL-2 install)

The answer to your question is: you should not get CloD, unless you want a lot of bugs. If you really do want it, at least wait for Battle of Stalingrad to come out before you buy it. The newest game in the series is always the most expensive. Once BoS comes out, CloD will be discounted, as was the case with the discount of 1946 when CloD came out. I don't know this for sure, but considering past patterns, it probably will work that way.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2013, 11:13:35 PM »

Ill have to disagree with the above.

Believe me I was REALLY disappointed in cliffs of fail at release, hated it...
BUT
Team Fusion has gone a long, LONG way towards correcting a lot of the games faults. New campaings are being made that deal with many of the AI issues, and the bugs that are still present are being worked on by Team Fusion.

Really if you can get it cheap enough then why not? Just dont even bother with the stock game, immediately load up the TF patch!

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 11:31:41 PM »

i dunno - when CloD first came out, i got a copy, which was just plain unplayable.
i left it.
when i recently got a better gfx card (GX 480 w 1.5GB video memory, i decided to try it again.
it is playable now, yes, but not great.
the cockpit and any shadow areas have strange color lighting, looks very crap.
ground - many trees seem to appear as black balls on the ground, looks uber crap.
that is with the latest 1C patch, though - i haven't tried this TF patch, but i would say your gfx card is probably insufficient to play it properly.
my advice - avoid it, unless you enjoy struggling.
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

LuseKofte

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 11:39:05 PM »

Well for 9 $ you really does not have much to loose to try,
I tell you in terms of Graphic, simulation Clod beats everything that is on market today. Online full realism that is. Almost without any bugs at all.
Offline on my machine it is buggy. I think your gpu is a bit underpowered.

I DISAGREE with CWMV, because if you can run it on moderate settings, you will never turn back to anything else regarding online play. You litterally need to learn to handle engine and flight characteristics. You need to learn your plain strength and weaknesses.
I do IL2 for fast fun offline , this game I spend hours on online, whenever I got the chance 

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 12:02:09 AM »

well, if i could sort out the crappy graphics i have, i would feel much more positive about it.
i was impressed with some things i saw in FMB, for instance the realistic curving roads which vehicles can use, way better than the straight lines that IL2 is stuck with.
now if only someone could import that feature into IL2,
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 01:15:06 AM »

Want my 0.02$?
I bought CloD for 15 bucks on May 13 2012, more than a year after it's initial release and just half a year before it was officially set to EOL status by 1C.
It was playable since day 1 on my PC (i5-2500K + Geforce 550Ti) but online experience was bad (either empty servers or gangbang play style with no rules or rules which were not enforced by anyone).
Offline it totally sucks for me since AI behaviour is worse than IL-2 4.08 stock.
1C's decision to never publish the SDK was the last nail in CloD's coffin. Unmoddable (apart from a few cosmetical changes applied by some enthusiastic modding groups) makes this game useless to me.

Total play time way less than 100 hours, back in the shelf to die in peace there. IL-2 is at least 10 times the fun to me compared to CloD.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:42 AM »

My 2cts also.

I bought it for 2.99$ in an online offer. Well, CloD is the worst ever wasted 2.99$ in my life...  ??? Not only bugs, not only crappy performance, team fussion are trying to get it a bit better and they are on it, but even with the latest patch from them CloD is just rubbish and I think it have no fix. Well, of course you have some nice graphics, that's sure if you don't mind the stutters (they're there even with team fussion patch, that have no fix, that's a software characteristic like in regular Il-2). Really CloD is a fraud because they sold a "completely new game engine" after more then 6 years of development and the only problem it have is game engine is the very same than old Il-2, that's why it's impossible to fix. But no, I don't mean about bugs or performances that can get you mad alone. Along the years I've complained about simulators characteristics, this or that detail not being realistic and so... With CloD it's not a detail, it's the whole thing... It's the worst ever try to sell us a "thingamajig" like a simulator without being one... I don't come to concrete details, I wouldn't end, but since now I'm more than a amateur but a licensed pilot I can say CloD is the worst simulator ever. Regular Il-2 have problems, of course, but it's a 12+ years old software created at a time not much further could be reached, now CloD had no excuses to me. To me it was the BIGGEST disappoint ever with a "simulator" sold as a simulator and not being one in my life. It's a thing made by people saying they now what they're doing but I can say as a pilot they don't now at all what a airplane is or how it performs in RL. Just remembering how 12 years ago Oleg laughed on how CFS3 had that sentence "as real as it gets" on the cover and how it was all but realistic, and now CloD is such a piece of crap all but realistic... We should remember that to Oleg&Co.

In my opinion, if you look for nice graphics you can buy that playstation version and would be nicer to you, realism wouldn't be much better in CloD. If not, stay with regular Il-2 until a better software is available.

S!

LuseKofte

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »

For my sake I cannot believe the difference in opinion on this sim :)

I find it very realistic, like DCS but better graphic, I get a bit tired about the realism now and then even. It takes time to fly online, too much time. Warm the engine take off settings. You need to have a profile for every plane, you need to know how much you push them, you need to get to know the map, and the navigation to targets are sometimes very frustrated. Sometime I got two minutes to target and I have to leave because of real life happenings.
I can not tellyou how much fun it is when we have a campaign going, last we won, but we where very beaten in the start of it. You get points to buy new planes and airbases, if you loose planes and airbases you cant afford to buy new ones if your own objectives was not done.
Another thing is Teamspeak, you need a wingman to survive. Mistakes in loosing altitude and speed is punished very hard, like it was back then. You simply do not attack if the odds are against you. If you do you have to start over again, but in campaign you cannot. You got only one takeoff , and if you are MIA or POW or dead all you did is not credited. Simply said I fly offline IL2 because it is soo much better than Clod offline. But Online nothing I have experience is better than Clod. I fly mainly bomber and BF-110, so I can hide my bad dogfight skills

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2013, 04:05:16 AM »

like DCS but better graphic
That's the thing. Believe me if I say CloD has nothing to do with DCS.

S!

LuseKofte

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2013, 04:26:31 AM »

Of course not, DCS has better modern simulation and if you can handle everything of the avionics and weaponry, you probably can fly the plane in real life.
But the graphics are worse than IL2 modded, and the same goes for effects. I do not find the time to learn it full realism, then I just gave it up because of lack of interest

GerritJ9

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2013, 05:14:16 AM »

Battle of Stalingrad has NOTHING to do with CloD. It is a totally different sim made by the RoF team and using the IL2 brand to hopefully get interest (they don't have mine). It will NOT be an addon to CloD, unlike Battle of Moscow which was being developed by the Oleg/Luthier team until the top brass pulled the plug on both CloD and BoM.
CloD is now playable since the last official patch, even on my old rig, though offline still leaves something to be desired (I don't play online). At current bargain prices you can't really go wrong by buying it.

We will have to see what Team Fusion can do to improve CloD- they are not working on it as full-time professionals and don't have the source code etc. Their first patch, however, is impressive, bearing in mind the above limitations and that work only started after 1C officially pulled the plug on CloD at the end of last year.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 24 queries.