Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recovery of Do-17  (Read 2301 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light

kaxII

• Modder
Re: Recovery of Do-17
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 02:47:41 PM »

It was on the news at lunch as well

baronbutcher

• Lost in space and in time!
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

Interesting. What annoys me is some comments like this one:
Sorry! With millioms of others we went through the horrors of bombing by this vile aircraft.Let Germany pay for this this bizaar so called bit of history as part repayment for all we had to endure But don't give it pride of place in Any english MUSEUM..
- Neville , Norwich, 04/5/2013 14:06
:o:(:(
I really can't stand people with this mentality.
Cheers. :)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 12:46:36 AM »

Interesting. What annoys me is some comments like this one:
Sorry! With millioms of others we went through the horrors of bombing by this vile aircraft.Let Germany pay for this this bizaar so called bit of history as part repayment for all we had to endure But don't give it pride of place in Any english MUSEUM..
- Neville , Norwich, 04/5/2013 14:06
:o:(:(
I really can't stand people with this mentality.
Cheers. :)

Yes, I know what you mean. That is somewhat typical of the unfortunate tendencies that certain British tabloids like to spread and keep alive ... it's playing to the unthinking, patriotic and nationalistic gallery.

In Belgium we call it 'café praat' - the inane and irrational things said when people have been drinking one too many, so that their uncharitable tendencies come to the forefront.

Let's say that remarks like the above belong in the past, to the immediate aftermaths of a war when passions run high and memories are still instilled with war-time propaganda. Over time these thoughts and feelings should evolve into deeper and more compassionate understanding of all the many unfortunate ways that conflicts between nations warp and deform the thinking of otherwise kind and friendly peoples.

Alfie Noakes

• Art Director
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 01:21:16 AM »

As an Englishman I would like to personally apologize to the world for our national newspapers.
They are run by reptiles who would sell their mothers for a juicy scoop. :o

Oh and please, please don't read the the Daily Mail.....

It will rot your brain.  ;D

Cheers

Alfie  (IMO of course)  ;)

PS. Well done to the Do-17 recovery team !
Everything is for the best in the best of all possible worlds

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2013, 02:49:37 AM »

I also hate that mentality, especially as it seems like those people forget that we did more damage than the germans did in the blitz and yet somehow people forget about that.

Herra Tohtori

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2013, 03:44:41 AM »

I also hate that mentality, especially as it seems like those people forget that we did more damage than the germans did in the blitz and yet somehow people forget about that.

IT WAS DONE

FOR THE GREATER GOOD

Joking aside, you're exactly right - wars tend to be nasty business where people die, and both sides usually tend to do unsavoury things.

But history should be appreciated for what it is. And while we all admire these pieces of aviation history, both from aesthetic and technological point of view, I think it's a good thing to remember that these things of beauty were intended to unleash destruction upon their enemies, and that applies to aircraft flown by all factions in any war ever. In my opinion, the quoted comment from Neville of Norwich belies some pretty shocking hypocrisy - I have no doubt he has no trouble admiring Spitfires, Hurricanes, Lancasters, Mustangs or other Allied aircraft.

It's unfortunate that in many countries, the history education has failed to provide an impartial view on the events and reasons of second world war. In some countries, the difficult topics have been largely suppressed, in some countries there's been an uncomfortable "cloak of blame" upon whole generations after WW2. In Germany for example, there seems to have been a significant amount of trying to avoid ANY association to Nazis whatsoever, in fear of being blamed of collecting "nazi memorabilia", even if were simply for academic interest. Indeed, I would not be surprised if many German people actually shared the same opinion as Neville of Norwich - many people seem to think that anything related to Germans deserves to stay buried...

In Japan, the situation is in many ways even worse; in many ways, the atrocities committed by Japanese military in their occupation of the Far East countries has been pretty much silenced and not spoken of in their history education. In addition, because of the way the war ended, Japan ended up cast more as a victim than villain. In some ways it is the opposite of German attitudes; many Japanese seem to think that Japan didn't start the war, and that the occupation of Far East was not in fact an occupation but rather liberation from colonial rule. It's pretty messed up, but I can't really blame them because the schools don't properly teach about the subject.

And the less is spoken of Russian depiction of WW2 history, the better. It is a fairly disgusting glorification of Soviet Union's Great Patriotic War, and that perspective colours everything in it. To be fair, though, the historical revisionism did slightly abate after the collapse of Soviet Union, but recently the same thing has reared its ugly head again and it's actually fairly troubling in some respects.

That said, everyone's perspective of these things is different. The facts may be the same, but the interpretation of reasons and motivations behind them seems to change from country to country, and decade to decade. My own perspective is probably significantly coloured by the fact that I'm a Finnish citizen...

But that's enough of my ramblings. Did the recovery team manage to successfully raise the wreckage? Was the airframe intact or did they have to lift it in parts?

kaxII

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »

Lol awesome pic  ;D, totally agree exactly what i think about the whole situation, especially about the japanese, but then again I am half taiwanese,

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »

You get what you deserve if you read the Daily Mail.....

SAS~Gerax

• SAS Team
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

SAS isn't the place for discussions about newspapers and/or
what peoples posts there. So any further "historical"/political
statements will move this thread where all this discussions ended:
in the dump.  :-X

So please try to stay on topic:
discuss the plane, its history, the progress of recovery etc. only.  ;)
i7-13700K, MSI RTX4090, Kingston 64GB, Asus Z790-P, Crucial SSD 1TB, Kingston SSD 4TB;

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2013, 04:50:57 AM »

To keep it on topic: about time they dragged atleast one of those Dorniers from their watery grave.

Iconic aircraft like that, no matter what history, deserve to be rescued and put on display, fully restored.
Heck, i'd even like to see one in airworthy condition, if it is not too much to ask. :D

Thanks for sharing this!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 25 queries.