Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: P-38 needed for Holocaust project...  (Read 1455 times)

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
P-38 needed for Holocaust project...
« on: April 15, 2013, 08:26:01 PM »

Ok, so I have a project due next friday and for the project I need to make a P-38 with flames and smoke coming out of the left engine. Do you know what kit would work best? and how can I replicate smoke and fire coming from the engine?

Ghost129er

• EX F.A.C. #65
  • Ghost of the skies.
Re: P-38 needed for Holocaust project...
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2013, 11:12:00 PM »

I dont know about kits, but I think it should be possible to find one of those static kits. Hmm, smoke and fire? Wont that melt the model unless its made of metal? Just saying. An alternative is to probably have the engine melt, and put a small candle for the fire with wax falling into a container so it does not kill the flame, smoke should come out of that too, but I guess a li-po fire would just be bad. Thats my suggestion lets see some pics if your done! :D
But whenever they talked about him, they always had a slight smile on their faces.. And that, perhaps, maybe your answer.

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:05:28 AM »

I ment creating a fake smoke trail with something solid and painting it as smoke. Like using foam or something. LOL

JG26 von Richten

• Go dance with the Angels!
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 12:25:12 AM »

if you have any grey/black spray paint, cotton balls usually work best imo, just pull the cotton apart and make it look "smokey" then lightly spray the gray/black on for effect

Pursuivant

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 12:42:43 AM »

Use cotton balls soaked in ink or heavily diluted black or gray paint - depending on the sort of smoke you're trying to create. Once the ink/paint has dried (you can speed up the process by using a hair dryer) tease it out slightly to make "streamers."

For large flames, do the same but with yellow or orange paint/ink. For smaller flames, carefully brush paint onto the cotton balls after they've dried or when they're still a bit damp.

If you're trying for a more dramatic smoke effect, you might need to drill a hole in the plane, insert a thin rod (a piece of wire or a disposable bamboo shiskabob skewer might work) and skewer or glue whole cotton balls to it. But, if the plane is supposed to be moving, you'll need to get the angle of the rod and the cotton balls right to make it look good.

Keep in mind that flames should seem to appear from holes caused by damage (either bullet or flak holes or holes burned by the fire) and that flames start out small if the plane is still flying.

For bullet holes, heat a needle or thin piece of wire on the stove or using an alcohol lamp or soldering iron. Using a pair of tweezers, grasp the needle and poke holes in the plastic where you want the holes to go. For larger holes, you will need to carefully thin the plastic out from the inside using a knife or moto-tool and then use the hot needle to gouge out the damaged areas. Once you're done, carefully scrape the edges of the damaged areas so they look like torn metal, not melted plastic. Be careful, though, it's very easy to over do the damage effects!   
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 26 queries.