Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: The First Couple of Steps To Take Before You Mod Your Game Part 2  (Read 11212 times)

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa

HHHMMMMM

So just as an example you have decided to play the 4.10.1 version.

You went whole hog and downloaded the MegaPack from M4T.

You extracted correctly into your main game root folder Program Files/Ubisoft/(game root folder)

You crossed your fingures  :-X

You then loaded the dvd and clicked your icon

Shhheeewww   ;D It loaded up so easily and quickly.  Wow ! How can it be so easy  ;D

The main screen jumped out of your screen as you were so stoked it loaded correctly.

You check at the bottom of the screen to check the version.

It says 4.10.1, such a relief  ;) the joy of having a new patch over the 4.07 stock game  :P

So you check a few times and the game loads up great with out any problems.

You start thinking I have seen mods available  for this game and I would like to mod my game.

A Couple of Important things to do First

Have a look at your computer to see which drive you have a lot of free space in.

This is important as over time you will need a lot of free space.

Modding your game and downloading mods is very fun and at times very addictive.  ;D

Go to that drive say D drive and make a new folder

Call it what ever you like MyModdedGame, IL2Modded, MODGAME, SAS1946 up to you.

Go to your IL-2 1946 game root folder in C: Program Files/Ubisoft/Root Folder.

Open that folder up and select all looking for the il2 icon the blue icon with the corsair  just to be sure.

Select All and Paste into your new folder in D: MODGAME (opened)

This takes some time and some minutes to do.

Let the copying do its thing.  :D

In the mean time while you are copying your main game root folder you should download this

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,1117.0.html

This download is really your first 'MOD' for your modded game.

Extract this rar file to the desktop.

Has your computer finished copying your game root folder? Not quite, go get a soda or a coffee and come back.  :D

Oh! All finished now.  :)

Open the no cd folder and copy and paste into your new folder in D drive.

It may ask to over write files if so click yes.

This is really your first mod to modding your game.

You do not need the dvd in the dvd drive to play your new 'copied' version.

If it is in the drive take it out.

So Now for the test.

Look for the il2 exe the blue button with the corsair on it and open and run.

Sheewwww It is loading up

C mon C mon Bingo    ;D

The main screen appears and you see that the version is 4.10.1 and the game is loading

You don't have to use the dvd for this copied no cd version.

You can place the icon in the copied game folder on your desktop. If you so desire.

I keep mine in my copied folder as I have many copied versions and don't want to clutter up the desk top.

So now you have

In C:Program Files/Ubisoft/Game Root Folder a stock version of 4.10.1

In D: MODGAME (folder) a copied game with the no cd mod

It's always good to keep the stock version as occasionally things go a tad wrong and you may have to use the stock version to copy a new mod game version to get it all back to normal.

Many people including myself have experienced this with one mod or another.

And you may have to make a new copy in the future.

Hopefully not but it is always good to have that stck version available.

Now you can sit back relax and enjoy you no cd version.  :D

Happy Flying 

SAS~Farang

Now you are ready to begin modding your game 

kapitansky

• ME ne frego!
Re: The First Couple of Steps To Take Before You Mod Your Game
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 12:27:44 AM »

I have my installation of IL2 with stock version 4.09 - UP2.01-- Dark blue world --- UP3 ----- HSFX6 - everything in my external hard drive 1 terabite. Do you think the space I need more? :)  ;) TX precious information.
Hurry up to enjoy breakfast. Why does it consume lunch at hell!!

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 12:32:11 AM »

yes i am similar to you lots of different versions

good to get an external drive as well but not one made in thailand.

recently had huge problems with an external drive made in thailand.

a current seagate 800 gig I have is much better.

Kirby

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 02:17:55 AM »

all my various installs, and all the mods, skins, etc i have downloaded over the years, are now standing at just over 1TB!  :o
that shows how much space you might require, if you ever become as addicted to this sim as me.
granted, i'm probably an extreme (nut)case, lol :D
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

352nd_Hoss

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 05:55:35 AM »

Yer Preaching to the Choir Malone!............................. :P

sixstrings

Re: The First Couple of Steps To Take Before You Mod Your Game Part 2
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 07:43:52 PM »

Keep all my expansions on 1TB SSD's and keep them in their stock form. Just in case i mess something up i can always revert back to the base expansion. Do this with all my sims and it has saved my butt plenty of times. Haven't modded any IL-2 46 expansions yet but plan to add some missions and aircraft and hear of some real screw ups so it's just good insurance. Cheers,Scott

Carrier

Steam Version?
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2020, 01:46:27 AM »

I would love to mod my game, mostly because I love all the really weird planes of WWII, but got my copy of the game off steam. Is it possible to mod my game?

milvipes

• Modder
Re: Steam Version?
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2020, 12:19:59 PM »

I would love to mod my game, mostly because I love all the really weird planes of WWII, but got my copy of the game off steam. Is it possible to mod my game?
I have the steam version, and it mods no differently than my GOG version.

Carrier

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2020, 12:20:38 PM »

Great, Thanks!

Ship_Rek

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 07:05:34 PM »

I'm extremely confused by IL-2 1946. Can anyone answer some basic questions or confirm I'm understanding things (or have misunderstood)?

I purchased and installed IL-2 from steam and am running 4.14 (which steam automatically updated to).

1. True/False:
The version of IL-2 1946 sold by steam includes a mod by Team Daidelos which is NOT compatible with other popular packages like Dark Blue World, VP, and BAT.

2. True / False:
1946 forked at some previous point and Team Daidelos continued in one direction while most of the other mods froze at an earlier version, so if you have Daildelos, you can't install those other mod packs - you have to start over with a new copy of 1946.

3. True/False:
There's some sort of drama between Team Daidelos and the rest of the mod community - like a civil or something. In another forum, you aren't even allowed to type their name. Ignore this if it's incendiary - not trying to start a fight.

4. True/False:
BAT is the best / most updated and supported mod pack.

5. Question:
Since I have the Steam version, which is newer than the oldest version supported by BAT, how do I get an older version of 1946?

6. Question:
I also have an old DVD copy of 1946 but I don't have the jewel case or a serial number (lost those several house moves ago). Is there anything I can do with it? My memory is fuzzy but I recall trying to install it and being sent on a wild goosechase by Ubisoft where I had to register at an number of different Ubisoft websites, download bloatware, and still ultimately not be able to get the game running. I think that was why I ultimately bought the duplicate Steam version.

I'd really appreciate some help with the above and with any other advice you guys have for a returning noob.

Thanks!

FL2070

• Modder
  • FAC #87
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 07:25:00 PM »

1. False, but not completely. TD's versions are 4.10 and beyond—they are updates, not mods. TD's version 4.12.2m isn't compatible with DBW because DBW requires 4.10.1m. Steam gives you 4.13.4m by default, which doesn't work with BAT or VP, because they're built on 4.12.2m.

2. True and false. TD's versions are the continuation of the official game, and mods built for the older versions of the game aren't really forks; they're just outdated mods.

3. True. TD has been making updates which deliberately make the usage of mods more difficult and roundabout. Modders don't like TD for its totalitarianism, and TD doesn't like modders because they are infringing on the "correct" way the game should be.

4. True. BAT has the most content out of any modpack, receives frequent updates adding new content, has many, many unique bugfixes and features, and has the best support. BAT isn't the "best" modpack, though: if you want to play with all the quality enhancements, but don't want a ridiculous download and don't really care about tons and tons of less well-known planes, you use VP. If you want to mainly play online, you use UltraPack.

5. In the list of games, right click on IL-2, go into its settings, and go to the "Betas" tab. From there, select 4.12.2m.

6. I don't really know. If you already have 4.12.2m, which you do through the betas function in Steam, you don't really need the disk except if you want 4.09m, which isn't used anymore. Even UltraPack has a megapatch that can be used to install it over 4.12.2m, despite it being made for 4.10.1m.
On average, the average average averages, averagely, the average average of all averages.

Ship_Rek

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:56 AM »

Super helpful - Thanks for taking the time to explain these basics to me!

Before your reply about downgrading the Steam version, I went and purchased the game again from GoG for $10. I got BAT installed and patched to 4.1.

Now, I'm stuck at trying to get a map installed. Between DCS, IL-2 BoX, Rise of Flight, Cliffs, and now 1946, I think I spend more time fiddling under the hood than flying.  ;)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.08 seconds with 24 queries.