Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seamless Texturing for IL-2 maps  (Read 3668 times)

farang65

• never two weeks two decades
  • SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
Seamless Texturing for IL-2 maps
« on: January 14, 2013, 03:10:25 AM »

Well,

After delving in to making decent seamless textures over some days for maps in Il.-2 I think I found the most suited tutorial for this skill.

There are many here like Bombsaway, Redko, Hudgarian etc who makes awesomely very good textures for retextured maps  ;D :D

There is a skill involved and an artform when developing a seamless texture.   :D

I've mainly been using Gimp 2.2 and now recently 2.4 for this purpose.

Many people also say that the make seamless filter can be ok but you really don't have any control over the texture.

I have discovered it is pot luck using this filter some textures are ok others are not.

I looked in to a number of ways to create the ultimate very very seamless for IL-2 maps.  In-other-words trying to have no eye sore repeated lining etc in the texture.

The First Method.

This was on youtube and I tried it. However it may be a perfectly good seamless texture but it seems to have a diamond pattern in the middle of the texture

which looks very wierd for IL-2 scenic purposes,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-i2gU_LMK4

I then researched further into seamless texture tutorials and found this method of making a seamless texture.

http://rubicondigital.host22.com/index.php/articles/general/25-creating-seamless-textures

This method goes way beyond the first method and should be a good base to use for creating seamless textures for IL-2 map making .

The author discusses a number of things that should be done first even before you start painting with the clone tool such as

"There are colour and luminance differences across the image. We need to fix them."

The auther also shows a very artistic approach to using the clone tool.

I've just started to learn and go over this procedure however I get stuck in Gimp here

Set the blending mode of the top layer to Soft Light at 100%. The colour and brightness shifts have been smoothed out. The top layer might be giving an unwanted tinge to the background layer. If so, select the top layer and turn its saturation all the way down

I can set the blending mode of the top layer to Soft Light at 100 percent However I am not sure which satuaration filter the author is referring to.

The one I see in Gimp is Colours/ Hue Saturation.

The auther says to turn it all the way down. not sure. 0 or below 0 into the _ numbers

If anyone in IL-2 land wants to add in thier own experiences in making seamless textures for IL-2 maps feel free to do so.

Kirby

Stanger

Re: Seamless Texturing for IL-2 maps
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:56:37 AM »

Thanks for the great tutorial. I might try that to see the results. I am lazy and bought a program PixPlant that does it in 30 seconds. But that sounds like a great way to do it if you do not want to purchase software.

Uufflakke

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »

In GIMP use the Offset option (Filters ->Projection->Offset).
Move the horizontal and vertical position with 20% or so and use the clone brush to erase the 2 edges.
Done in a few minutes.
"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

farang65

• SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 05:57:36 PM »

Hi Stanger,

Will check out Pix Plant and compare it with the hand made way.

I am lazy too  :D but hoping that Pix Plant would be much better than the maps make seamless filter in Gimp.

Getting a true seamless texture without any lineage or massive repeating patterns that show up very prominantly when your flying over them is the difficult part.

A good comparison for the two methods.

Will post some textures soon from Pix Plant and the hand made method.

Thanks for the Gimp info Uuff   ;D

Stanger

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »

Farange65. Pix Plant is so easy just a couple of clicks and done. Here is on pic one the map of OKi I am doing. All that country is just one tile.

RealDarko

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 07:23:42 AM »

Great texture! And BTW cool rep of Okinawa.

farang65

• SAS Team
  • Fortress Formosa
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 06:15:39 PM »

Hi Stanger,

I've done some test runs with that program  :D

Are you adjusting your finished texture from the program concerning the brightness level for in game.

I did not do that as yet just wanted to see what they look like out of pruduction in game.

Sure is a lot of fun and you can be a texture producing factory during the day.  ;)

One more question concerning tiling at the bottom left.

I tried none and both. which one is your preference.

Sometimes I use the added section of horizontal, vertical, 180 before you generate the texture.

Having lots of fun with new program.  ;D

Stanger

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2013, 01:22:25 AM »

Hi Stanger,

I've done some test runs with that program  :D

Are you adjusting your finished texture from the program concerning the brightness level for in game.

I did not do that as yet just wanted to see what they look like out of pruduction in game.

Sure is a lot of fun and you can be a texture producing factory during the day.  ;)

One more question concerning tiling at the bottom left.

I tried none and both. which one is your preference.

Sometimes I use the added section of horizontal, vertical, 180 before you generate the texture.

Having lots of fun with new program.  ;D

Hi farang65
1. I am glad that you are getting great use out of it. I select tile both horizontal and vertical. Never know which side will line up together.
2.I still photoshop contrast or brightness and most important of all match color.
3.Also sective color can be great to change a certain color on texture. Lets keep up with each other on this if we learn something new.
4. Do not want to derail your thread but I need help with my Oki. I want to raise the level of the coral up so it will show better. Images I have seen the coral really shows around Oki, not like in sim. Can you PM me if you know how and I will start another thread on it. Much thanks.

carsmaster

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2013, 10:56:55 AM »

Look this script for GIMP:

http://registry.gimp.org/node/24189
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.088 seconds with 29 queries.