Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Download South Ukraine Jet War Beta map  (Read 19657 times)

mandrill

• Modder
Download South Ukraine Jet War Beta map
« on: December 18, 2012, 09:42:23 AM »

This is the download for the Mandrill7 South Ukraine Jet War Beta map. The map will eventually be released in several versions, including a 1950's map for early Cold War scenarios and a World War II era map. The World War II version will have summer, early autumn, late autumn / spring and winter seasons.

The project has taken me about 9 months to do and was based on an abandoned map that was originally created by some Aviaskins guys and was called YCJ_Ukraine. Their hard work provided me with a great start for my own efforts.

I re-worked the existing project extensively, including a redraft of the map_c, map_h and map_t and roading and populating the map from scratch. The geography of the map is more or less accurate up to 1960, give or take. After that, the Dnepr in particular would start to appear much, much different as several large dams and hydro-electric projects were built.

As the World War II versions will feature numerous grass airfields and more ground detail for "mud moving" in certain key areas, the 1950's version was easier to make ready for a Beta download. And so, this release is the Jet War version of the map. The town and city tiles are still a little unfinished and need some work. Note that Uman' airfield is deliberately misplaced to locate it away from the edge of the map. The airfields in general may be changed and improved as I receive better information about their appearance.

Older, less powerful computers may experience FPS issues over the largest cities, such as Dnepropetrovsk and Odessa.

I relied extensively on the following resource when producing the map:

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/ams/eastern_europe/

This site features super-accurate large maps of Eastern Europe in the late 40's and early 50's and was an invaluable aid.

My sincere thanks to the entire Il-2 community for their support, teaching and encouragment over the years. Hopefully, this map allows me to give something back to the other guys. In particular, I thank Oknevas for allowing me to use some of his airfields from the Donbass map and his dam over the Dnepr at Zaporozhye. Thanks also to Gromm for his advice re airfield placement which will help me do the WWII versions of the map. And also to Greif11 for testing download and loading.

The download is split into 2 parts. The map itself can be downloaded at this link:

https://www.mediafire.com/?bbodgfgxdfy3x65

The second part is the necessary texture folder at the following link:

https://www.mediafire.com/?hb70gz0u4883s7u

The map uses mainly stock objects, plus objects from Uuflaake's SE buildings mod, Canon's Channel map and parts 1 and 2 of the Hangar Mod. All of these should now - I believe - be standard with all mod set-ups, including Modact and DBW.

Add to all.ini the following lines....

m7_su_JetWar       m7_su/load1950.ini

The path for the _tex folder is......

Mapmods/ maps/ _tex/ mandrill7

Please do not hesitate to report all problems and comments on this thread and I will try and fix them up. Happy flying!

mandrill

• Modder
Re: Download South Ukraine Jet War Beta map
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 09:44:22 AM »

Screen shots are shown on the WIP thread:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,26552.0.html

Uzin

• Modder
  • On lifetime holidays
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 01:51:53 PM »

Congrats with the release of the map,  covering large gap in the area as regards Il2. I admire especially your net of rivers - I suppose you had drawn it in map_c by hand ?
Your intention to cover several time periods is very impressive, you must became also the historian, not only mapmaker. According to my bitter experience, it tooks rather many time, but is self-rewarding in the sense of acquainting the wider point of view.
After successfully d/l and installing flawlessly your present  map into my unlocked Il2, I noticed that, similarly as e.g. Oknevas, you use the size of ed_m01.tga smaller than ed_m02.tga, to the contrary to what is recommended by KevinP in his manual. I am curious why ? Is there any advantage of it? I do not know and be grateful for any hint.
Best regards,
Ivan Uzin

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2012, 04:32:08 PM »

I think initially I just copied the ed_m arrangement that the previous makers of the map had used without thinking about it. I will experiment and try it the other way around and see what happens.

And yes, I drew the rivers by hand using some detailed maps as a guide. They took me several weeks and it was very, very, very tedious.  :'( Thanks for the positive comment about them.

MarvinT

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 01:02:20 PM »

Very nice work, I made  a quick take off mission from the airport near Bolshoy, love the harbor and city buildings.  The only quirks I get it possible SFX  sputters in Dark Blue World due to ( large area of city buildings spawning ) which mod I am flying,  notibly the MiG 15, and MiG 15 bis, no problems with other MiGs flying over the same locations. I also tested  the map in with same aircraft in my  4.101 m  install,  no SFX ( sound effects )problems flying over same spawning areas. Thanks again for your work.

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:31:27 PM »

Thanks, MT. I was a little worried about sputters over the built up areas of Dnepropetrovsk and Odessa. I am reassured to hear that the problems are minimal. :-) Glad you enjoy flying the map.

Mixx

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 01:11:49 AM »

Mandrill,
Many thanks to you for your great and hard work.
Map of beautiful, well done!
Good for you!

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:20:12 PM »

Mandrill, This is a very Beautiful Map, Thank You! 

:)
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

airkidgeek

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2013, 02:29:58 PM »

hey will it work on a SAS modact game?

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2013, 02:33:16 PM »

It is in my SAS Modact 4.0 & DBW
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2013, 03:41:36 PM »

Mandrill, This is a very Beautiful Map, Thank You!   :)

Thanks for the kind words. Which airfield are you flying from in your photo? (Yes, I should know. But it IS a pretty large map.)

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »

hey will it work on a SAS modact game?

Yes, it was built on SAS Modact.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 20 queries.