Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WOW!!! Can you do this?  (Read 10484 times)

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
Re: WOW!!! Can you do this?
« Reply #36 on: December 19, 2012, 05:48:52 PM »

WOW that was impressive :o
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #37 on: December 19, 2012, 05:51:18 PM »

Guys try the mosquito. If your far enough away from the runway like the guy in the video was, and fast enough, when you start the tight turn it won't fly out of control, and at the same time lower your flaps and gear. Amazingly, it works!

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #38 on: December 19, 2012, 10:31:09 PM »

I have a friend in Arizona has a daughter that does this for a living, she says the best part is the dive back to the airport that gives her the reason to want to fly, and I like to land this way in the P-38, and for fun I do hard left or right rudder landing  on one wheel until bleed speed, Thats freakin fun "when I dont crash doing it". Just wished I cuold use the feather prop option.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #39 on: December 20, 2012, 01:16:36 AM »

I think the key to this landing is having a turboprop, so he can use reverse thrust when on the ground.  Some turboprops can do this in the air as well for very steep approaches, but I don't know if this one can.  That would also explain how the pilot doesn't shock cool the engines.
Handbook states reverse must NOT be used inflight for this model, but I know pilots use it a bit sometimes  :).

I didn't try directly, but in a flight yesterday I could do it in a P-61 although it's too much heavy and underpowered for what I supposed a P-61 should be. Anyway, it's not the same, that turn so close to runway and short landing run is not possible with a so heavy aircraft and so high approach speed. May be with some model you can do a similar thing but not the same (they land in 400-300m, even less... impossible if not a U-2 or similar).

S!

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #40 on: December 20, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

Tried but failed because in mid-descent FPS went so bad I had to press pause. The step between stuttering and pause had then already brought me from diving to a shallow climb again and I landed after diving again a tad and making a harmless left turn :P

At least I jammed the flaps after takeoff and flew around a bit with shaky booty.   :-*

I could swear that stuttering started after I went from XP SP2 to-3.
After Christmas back to SP 2 and someday when I'm in the mood to Win 7.

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
« Reply #41 on: December 21, 2012, 09:20:44 PM »

Handbook states reverse must NOT be used inflight for this model, but I know pilots use it a bit sometimes  .

It's true. I remember that a CASA 212 Aviocar was piloted by a "Sporty" guy and he induced a controlled spin by doing reverse throttle on one turboprop and max throttle on the other to make a fast corkscrew spin.   

So then, the guy tried to stop the spin (probably because he got a little nauscious...) and then he realized that his death clock was ticking.

His propellerturbine engine that he reversed was uncontrollable, and furthermore, could not get out of the spin. :o

He died a horrible death-RIP.

THAT"S WHY YOU DON"T MESS WITH PROPELLERTURBINE ENGINES.
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2012, 01:04:45 AM »

During my service time in the german navy in the beginning years my squadron was using Dornier 28 as well for commuter, general transport duties and oil pollution control. We called it the "Bauernadler" (loose translated "Farmer's Eagle"). One of the missions to be performed regularly was to provide the "taxi" for technicians who had to go to the "Helgoland" island mid of north sea where we were operating an outpost for SAR duties equipped with a Sea King helicopter which, depending on it's actual status, either suffered critical malfunctions every other day or, on a more regular basis, another "critical malfunction" every friday afternoon. The latter wasn't a malfunction for real but rather an alcohol and cigarette transport job, caused by the "Helgoland" island being outside of germany's sovereign territory thus providing the ability to purchase that kind of stuff tax-free.

During these transport duties the Do-28 had to use the "Düne" (dune) airport aside of "Helgoland" island, which is rather small in itself for such kind of aircraft:

The area of the Düne is 700m² and the 3 runways with a length of 248m, 371m and 480m strictly have to be used according to wind direction.
When there is high tide in the north sea, regularly the Düne is flooded that much that there's roughly half of that runway length left. This could become critical when the Do-28 had to takeoff at load limits and flood was rising. Sometimes we've had to stay there for a night and wait for low tide since the plane just couldn't get off ground safely anymore.

We've had a whole lot of funny landings and takeoffs there :)

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2012, 01:21:21 AM »

Nice story Storebror  :D. May be your Do-28 were piston engined ones?

S!

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2012, 05:21:12 AM »

Indeed they were piston engined ones, powered by two Lycoming IGSO-540-A1E engines with 385 hp each.
The Do-28 G.92 turboprop version used for skydivers is using two Walter Engines M601-D2 with 450 hp each. Not too much of a difference but turboprops have vastly different performance characteristics which makes it much more "sporty" than the piston engine ones.
Two of the Do-28 were upgraded to Do-28 OU oil pollution control aircraft, putting in as many sensor equipment as it could take.

Our Do's were disbanded in september 1994.
Another navy squadron took over both oil pollution control and transport roles with newer Do-228 (and Do-228 LM for oil pollution control) turboprops (I flew with them a few times, no comparison to the old Do-28).

At least the oil pollution control was a true success story. Within the years 1986 through 2002 those aircrafts operated 18.000 hours of flight where they could track 2.900 pollution incidents of which 300 polluters could be identified.

You can read a short story about our Do's here:
http://www.fly-navy.de/props/do28.html

Images... The "standard" Do-28D2 used for transport missions:

And the Do-28 OU used for oil pollution control:

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

NS~mati140

• #27 of the New Squadron (NS)
« Reply #45 on: December 22, 2012, 05:33:39 AM »

Did in in B-25. Than I decided to do something crazy and... did it in B-29. This is not too realistic, is it? B3tt3r N3rf Supp4fortr3ss  :P

LuseKofte

« Reply #46 on: December 22, 2012, 06:03:46 AM »

By the tales from B-17 crews, flying the plane was fairly easy, if they lost the ailerons they could still continue the mission just maneuvering it by the rudders. It maneuvered well on rudders and it was safer to follow the formation than abort and return alone. The one thing they was afraid of when hit was stall and the plane flip over, I understood the construction could not hold it or it was impossible to recover. What we can do with the US bombers are not realistic by what I have read. But the flight controls are

Mick

• Modder
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2012, 06:28:24 AM »

... a very nice X'Mas story, and well documented, THX for sharing Mike ...  ;)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.086 seconds with 24 queries.