Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WOW!!! Can you do this?  (Read 10485 times)

Kilo

• Modder
  • Hold my beer!
    • Sqn. 71 fighter-bombing Silver Wings
WOW!!! Can you do this?
« on: December 17, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »

Fortune favours the bold; disaster even more so

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
Re: WOW!!! Can you do this?
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 02:10:04 AM »

Not bad. Where I go to fly they do that daily  :). Looks like a common thing when you perform paratroop flights.

S!

A1_Phoenix

• Modder
  • Un maiale deve volare
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 02:15:18 AM »

i've seen something similar with some glider-towing planes also, indeed those "dirty" landings could save a lot of time.
t/o, relase the glider, come-down-as-fast-you-can-(for-odin's-sake), attach another glider. repeat. and someone still think GA is boring.. LOL

S!
Andrea

adambegg

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 02:25:58 AM »

There's also a bit of competition between the pilots an the skydiving instructors, who race each other back to the airfield.

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:38:17 PM »

Many times I have attempted landing approaches like that pilot accomplished, however, I usually leave metal debris and flaming fuel on the runway.   :D

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:48:01 PM »

Quite irresponsible, isn't it?

pdittrich

• CRM114
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 01:27:27 PM »

It's only irresponsible if you break the plane - if you pull it off, it's fine.
It looks pretty much like the approaches I do in IL-2. Dive for the field (if one had altitude to begin with), sharp turn to bleed airspeed and lower gear, then land. However, I doubt I would go as far down as this guy did before his final turn. When I watched the scene I was thinking "what's he trying to do, slow the plane down by hitting the top branches with the port wing?!" :P Besides, turning that sharp, losing that much airspeed at that low an altitude - yeah, risky. Touch the ground or stall, and you're RedSpade's "debris and flaming fuel". Not a good feeling, even in a Sim.

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 02:22:33 PM »

Well, it can look irresponsible from outside when you see for the firsts times. Then you realize that pilot is not a jerk making stupid things, he's a guy with many, many flight hours and he do that because he can. I also make things like that and much worst in the sim, but I can tell you for sure in RL I fly pretty much conservative and far away from that... When you are inside the aircraft it's not the same  :). That's flight experience, and if he do that is not only for you to say "that's irresponsible" when watching, he knows what he's doing because he's inside and he knows the consequences in case of fail.

S!

canonuk

• Canons Skins - textures for Il-2
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 04:06:53 PM »

, he knows what he's doing because he's inside and he knows the consequences in case of fail.

What about the consequences for others if he causes their deaths?

Ala13_ManOWar

• Modder
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 04:20:18 PM »

That's why he do that alone when every parachutist is airborne  ;). But as said, believe me if I say a pilot like that knows what he's doing, just you don't know and from outside it looks "dangerous" or irresponsible, but he's really aware of his limits and aircraft limits.

S!

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »

Is there then someone else to die when he is alone in the plane after others jumped and there shouldn't be anyone walking on the airfield? Or maybe there is someone hiding in the woods waiting for the epic photo with the wingtip touching the trees.

Anyway, for me that looks like effective optimization. Get back sooner to pick next parachuters earlier and carry more people up in a day.

adambegg

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 05:07:31 PM »

It may look a bit crazy and dangerous, but remember that this guy has probably done this hundreds if not thousands of times, especially since the point is to land and go back up as soon as possible.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.087 seconds with 24 queries.