Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Ghosts of WWII  (Read 4380 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Ghosts of WWII
« on: November 22, 2012, 01:10:20 AM »

Here is a link to some altered photos that give an eery reminder that the past is never far away. If we look around us, who knows what remnants of wars past may still haunt the landscapes we walk through ...

This is somewhat reminiscent of the photos you would see in books like the 'Then and Now' series ... but here it elevated to an awesome level of intertemporality ... hats off to the photographer who not only thought up the concept, but also so competently executed it into finished photos.

http://www.demilked.com/ghosts-of-world-war-2-blended-into-present/

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
Re: Ghosts of WWII
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 06:41:41 AM »

These are superb , I have seen a few of them a few years back.
It all started when someone in Russia started using old photos and mixing them with todays images taken
from the same place.
Later on another guy started doing photos of Berlin and another guy using photos of London.
These are excellent.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

woofiedog

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 05:13:29 AM »

Very eerie... the past colliding with the present. Like those of the time sending us a warning or a wakeup call.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »

When our family moved from the US to Belgium back in the '60's I also had these sort of feelings about many places in our new city. I came from an almost a-historical locality, or one with at best a very limited past to draw back on, and came to a city that was literally doused with an almost continuous millennium old history that permeated buildings and statues, churches, fortifications and even simple houses where people lived. Older relations would tell stories of the Great War and younger relations of the Second War, of which there were many visible remnants still left in city-scapes.

For someone who knew of the great events of recent history only through TV and movies, it was at times an intoxicating experience to walk around these streets and places and to be aware of all that had happened in the past. My new schoolmates, if I ever mentioned any of this in the first place (which prudently I rarely did), thought it was all nothing but a bunch of baloney, never themselves giving such things much thought.

Now as time passes it is so gratifying to see that other people do feel the same way about the past, that it is still all around us and does indeed influence our lives in more ways than we prefer to admit.

Ojisan_bart

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 08:28:56 AM »

This are very nice pictures thx..  Just wondering Agracier where exacly in Belgium you live. I am a
Belgian also and live in Erpe near Aalst.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 08:31:57 AM »

Off topic a bit but Ag, I always thought you were English. I never knew you were from the US. :)
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 08:33:07 AM »

This are very nice pictures thx..  Just wondering Agracier where exacly in Belgium you live. I am a
Belgian also and live in Erpe near Aalst.

This says it all I think ... ha ha ha (But not to be taken seriously of course).
This is sold by our local tourist bureau and the photo is NOT of our window ...

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 08:33:21 AM »

Excellent find, thanks for posting. In my travels, I too got to see the many signs of history, and just to see them in person gives more than just goose bumps, but awareness.
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »

Off topic a bit but Ag, I always thought you were English. I never knew you were from the US. :)

Well, I can be whatever I want in a way, since I have many persona's to draw on.

My mother was Belgian, my American father was in the US Merchant Marine during WWII and my Belgian grandfather in fact grew up in London before and during the Great War. I've been told he taught me English while my father was away in Korea ... I went to grade school in the US many ages ago and to higher school in Belgium ... so take your pick ...

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 08:46:03 AM »

Thats interesting. Your lucky to have such a wide background. :)
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 09:41:23 AM »

That is indeed interisting, regarding your background, agracier.
Thank you for linking the photos. 
I regularly think about WWII when watching historic reports and movies and ever again realizing how my own country-with such a wide history of great persons-could evolve into this sadest episode between 1933 and 1945.
The lessons, pictures and tales kept alive from that period are something which shall never be forgotten.
Thinking of it, I wonder how long the current relative peace time will last.
I hope this time we are lucky and the new century will see a change in historic patterns. Even a minor would do.  ::)  :D

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:26 AM »

I hope this time we are lucky and the new century will see a change in historic patterns. Even a minor would do.  ::)  :D

As an aside:

There is a very insightful and extremely well researched book on this subject. It's called 'The Better Angels of Our Nature - the Decline of Violence in History and Its Causes' by Steven Pinker. It's not bedside reading, but for anyone interested in history as an epoch-long phenomenon that does change and evolve in its basic facets, its fascinating and moreover flies against what most people instinctively think - namely that the times are becoming more violent and cruel.

Pinker holds to just the opposite view and gives very detailed arguments and statistics to bolster his point ...

I'm certain you can find a number of reviews on the web on this book.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 24 queries.