Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Down

Author Topic: USS Yorktown CV-5 1942  (Read 93864 times)

Flamer50

• 'Tracers work both ways.'
    • photobucket.com
Re: USS Yorktown CV-5 1942
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2012, 10:03:38 PM »

Houston!...We Have The Yorktown!

Thanks Ashe, She's a real Treat! 8)
'The only time you have too much fuel is when you're on fire.'

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2012, 02:28:39 AM »

Spookie -- Differences between Yorktown and Enterprise (1942) include minor changes to bridge structure and more significant, but probably fairly easy to model, changes to the AA arrangement.  --- and a name change on the stern. It would probably also need to have some cosmetic skin changes but I have not researched this.

I would not want to simply clone the ship and rename it without making the physical changes.
That would be very easy to do --- but not very authentic.

Enterprise post 1943 has a lot of changes to the bridge and extensive AA changes. Hornet CV-8 also has significant differences to the bridge structure.

For now I am going to take a bit of a break from modelling and spend more time in the game. I have some projects in mind to maybe start in earnest after Xmas.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2012, 02:30:00 AM »

Glad to see you finally got her into the MDS missions I made for you guys tHor...............  That tells me it works in HSFX..........................

Cheers............

Hoss

Hoss -- all of the testing was done in HSFXv6.0.17

JG54Spookie

• Modder
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2012, 01:45:25 PM »

Spookie -- Differences between Yorktown and Enterprise (1942) include minor changes to bridge structure and more significant, but probably fairly easy to model, changes to the AA arrangement.  --- and a name change on the stern. It would probably also need to have some cosmetic skin changes but I have not researched this.

I would not want to simply clone the ship and rename it without making the physical changes.
That would be very easy to do --- but not very authentic.

Enterprise post 1943 has a lot of changes to the bridge and extensive AA changes. Hornet CV-8 also has significant differences to the bridge structure.

For now I am going to take a bit of a break from modelling and spend more time in the game. I have some projects in mind to maybe start in earnest after Xmas.

Yeah, there were definitely differences. Believe me, i was not implying that you should make another model, etc. What I meant was using your Yorktown in a second slot in lieu of having an actual Enterprise. Basically another Yorktown installed, but with the Enterprise name in the ships list in-game (I'd also modify the skin myself to have the correct name). Is such a thing as simple as just copying the Yorktown folder in my mods directory and changing the name to Enterprise in the appropriate lines?

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 01:10:31 AM »

Its not quite as simple as that.
In order to clone a ship to a new slot additional class files are required.

However the Yorktown installation did include a spare ship class which you can use.

ShipAsheUSS$USSHornetCV8_42

USSHornetCV8_42

You can duplicate the Yorktown entries in chief.ini and ships.ini and replace the Yorktown name with those.
That will make USSHornetCV8_42 appear in the menu

Finally - in technics_ru.properties add

USSHornetCV8_42           USS Enterprise CV6 - 1942

That will swap the Enterprise name for Hornet in the drop down menus.

If you are working on the skin obviously the name on the stern must be replaced.
Check the position of the "text box" on the alpha channel when you do this. Keep within the alpha cut area.
Try modifying the weathering and the paintwork on the hull so that it looks a little different.
For a major visual change try changing the flight deck to give it a blue camo wash and maybe change the white lines a little. Look at original photos for inspiration, though good photos of Enterprise in the early 42 period seem to be rare.

You might inspire me to do the full model  ;)

The info I have on armament for Enterprise at Midway is:
8x5in; 4x4x1.1in; 34x20mm; 6x0.50cal   --- so Enterprise has a greater number of 20mm Oerlikons compared with Yorktown but loses most of the 0.50cal Machine Guns. Locating the new guns will require some re-modelling of the gallery walkways. The re-modelling of the bridge structure required is pretty easy stuff.

On the subject of spare ship slots. HSFX6 still has spares I think, named Ship0, Ship1, Ship2, Ship3, Ship4.
At least they were retained in HSFX5. These can be used to clone ships as I've described above.

Except use --- Ship$Ship0 etc

Ashe

T}{OR

• DBS
    • Dedicated Bomber Squadron
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

+1 for the simple re-skinned sisters for the time being

RogCBrand

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »

Thank you for all the great work!  After all these years, it's wonderful to have the Yorktown class!

ggrewe

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 10:33:46 AM »

Thanks so much Ashe, she is a much wanted beauty – know how much time & effort you put into your work – so, much appreciated. You too are a legend  ;)

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 11:01:56 AM »

For those who have expressed an interest in doing re-paint versions as a temporary fix for Enterprise and Hornet here are some replacement class files.
Overwrite the existing ones in the ShipAshe folder.

Adds slots for USSHornetCV8_42 and USSEnterpriseCV6_42

https://www.mediafire.com/?090ywx2ssxthb4y

If you run into any texture mapping problems then drop me a PM.

PlaneEater

• Akimbo pixelslinger
  • Modder
    • Garage Bay 9
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 11:06:06 AM »

Also keep in mind that besides the bridge and AAA fit differences, Hornet had an altered flight deck near the bow; Yorktown and Enterprise had a taper on the port edge of the deck that was instead straight on Hornet.  It made Hornet's deck just a little wider, and that was part of the reason she was chosen for the Doolittle Raid.

Any chance of a UP / DBW version?  Pretty please?   ;D

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 11:43:17 AM »

It should work fine in any v4.10 modded installation.
Its just the location of the model folder and ini/properties files which are different.
I only have an HSFX installation so I cant give detailed advice on UP/DBW.
Others will provide a better guide.

As far as I know you just treat the #DBW or #UP3 folder the same as the MODS folder in a classic mod installation.

I have no firm plans yet to do a 3D model of Enterprise or Hornet, but maybe in the future.

duffys tavern

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:08 PM »

Thanx Ashes, wonderful job!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 22   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 25 queries.