Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WIP - Austin Ambulance  (Read 10220 times)

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: WIP - Austin Ambulance
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2012, 03:27:17 PM »

Sorry to be a pain.
The Listener file is pretty big,it took me about ten minutes to copy the text to Wordpad because "Select All" would only select part of the Listener file at a time.
OK, I've got my .msh file but you've lost me again with the references to .mat and .tga stuff as a search of my gmax folders has none of those types of files.
If I understand correctly;
1.  I should place my new text file;   Austin_Ambulance.msh in the gmax/meshes folder
2.  I should place the .bmp files I used for textures in my gmax/meshes folder  ???  NOT SURE

The .msh file has a long list of Materials like so:

[Materials]
Mtl #22
Mtl #2
Mtl #2
Mtl #3
Mtl #3
Mtl #2
Mtl #20
Mtl #0
Mtl #13
Mtl #7
Mtl #11
Mtl #14
Mtl #3
Mtl #1
Mtl #0
Mtl #10
Mtl #7
Mtl #14
Mtl #9
Mtl #19
Mtl #6
Material #2
Mtl #21

I'm not sure what the numbers mean but there are repeats in there.

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2012, 04:34:39 PM »

You need to select the object (ambulance) before you export it from gmax and asign one material to it - then export and copy the listener.

Once you have done that you will not need gmax until it is time to create the lower order meshes and shadows. You do not export directly from gmax into the game - it is more complicated than that. You MUST open and existing object folder and study the file structure within it at this stage before you go any further if you wish to understand what to do next. Then you will see what the .mat and .tga files are.

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2012, 04:52:04 PM »

"assign one material to it", I'm not sure what that means or how you do it. :-\  The Listener shows a list of materials which I realise are the various textures that I used on the truck.
Ref the existing object and opening it, do you mean using the SFS extractor and finding something similar?  I'm familiar with the SFS extractor but not how you find a similar object (eg. a static vehicle).

I thought the hard part was creating the object........apparently not!  :-[

SAS~GJE52

• Editor
  • Orchard Studios
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2012, 07:09:18 PM »

Creating the initial LOD0 mesh is the easy part.  ;) You will have to create another 2 with lower poly values for the levels of distance (LOD) meshes (I use a poly cruncher programme but it can be done manually) but these can be adapted to make the shadow meshes as well. You will also have to make a "damaged" mesh.

As for the material problem. I use 3ds max so I open my material editor, select the object then select the appropriate material from the list. looking at your model it seems to have the right skin now so doing that should remove the duplicates. One of the "Gmax gurus" here can probably tell you what you need to do.

G;
Do not criticise a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes...  Then you can call him what you like, as you have his shoes ... and he is a mile away......

Blazing

• Harbour Master
  • Modder
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2012, 10:59:52 PM »

Are u saying your ploy crucher makes a easy lod. whats it called i want if it will make it easier to create lods.or in less time
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 24 queries.