Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Friedrichshafen G.III  (Read 31473 times)

archie1971

• Modder
Re: Friedrichshafen G.III for DBW1916
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2012, 02:10:28 PM »

as Vickers Vimy

Friedrichshafen G.III Kampfstaffel from 3-4 skins-serial number
1036/16,
1030/16,
1053/16,
1047/16,

Maro

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2012, 11:34:00 PM »

It sees good.

Riptide_One

« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2012, 07:03:17 PM »

I attempted to download the BETA version for 4.10.1 posted in Reply #41 and got the following warning: "Friedrichshafen ... zip appears malicious". Has anyone else had this problem?

Cheers,

Riptide

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2012, 02:21:59 PM »

I have a question for who painted those new bombs.
Were the German bombs actually painted in that bright-blueish-green color?  ???
That is just tragic man.  :( Those are some crazy colors for bombs. I never seen anything
like it before.

Look at these...
http://www.aeroscale.co.uk/photos/review/5006/00.jpg

Some were painted light-blue (almost the same as RLM-75) , a olive-green type of color,
dirty white, greyish blue, some black (perhaps night-bombing) and some were not painted at all.
Just a plain metallic look or dark bronze color to the metal.
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

DarkBlueBoy

• Supporter
  • Learning slowly...
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2012, 01:34:59 AM »

Have to agree with Max and not in any way wishing to sound disrespectful or ungrateful. I bet metallic look ones would be cool!

RAF209_Benge

• Come and Check us out
    • RAF 209 Squadron Drome
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2012, 05:05:05 PM »

Generally bright blue and bright yellow tended to be practice bombs.

Depending on the nationality...Bright yellow in German also meant gas shells and depending on the colored rings on the outside of the bomb were filled with a different kind...usually phosgene or mustard.

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »

its a new WIP skin-template - NOT FINISHED

-------------------------------

Some useful information for me to know ,
and for you too.

These were used mainly for night bombing missions, mostly in western Europe such as the bombing campaign on Paris. They did not have the range to bomb England, though. The Gotha Bombers were the bomber type that were used for that purpose.
This bomber type was most famous for bombing Paris and Dunkirk area in WW1. Also bombing many
battlefields and allied airfields.

The G.III and G.IIIa was a substantially better aircraft than the Gothas in every respect except range. G.III and IIIa bombers had bigger bomb load capacities, were faster, and were built more strongly to take more punishment before being brought down. While they look similar, except for the box tail on the G.IIIa. The G.IIIa was a substantial improvement over the G.III in terms of having a significantly increased range and bomb load.

Total production orders of the G.III by Friedrichshafen and the two additional licensed manufacturers of Daimler and Hanseatische were 208 (Fdh) plus 130 (Daim) plus 75 (Hansa) coming to a grand total of 413.

Total production orders of the G.IIIa were 149 (Fdh) plus 128 (Daim) + 75 (Hansa) for a grand total of 352.

Not all of these orders were completely fulfilled by the time the war ended, but the large majority were.

-----------------------------

Here's a list of serial numbers for the Friedrichshafen G III/IIIa. I copied these out of my personal serial list, and then checked the source of my info. Surprise, surprise, it's Datafile #65, which I also highly recommend.

16 1030 1053 Friedrichshafen G III
17 156 180 Friedrichshafen G III
17 270 369 Friedrichshafen G III
18 355 414 Friedrichshafen G III
18 505 544 Friedrichshafen G III
18 650 749 Friedrichshafen G III
17 240 269 Friedrichshafen G III (Daim)
17 373 442 Friedrichshafen G III (Daim)
18 130 164 Friedrichshafen G III (Hansa)
17 784 843 Friedrichshafen G III/IIIa
18 750 779 Friedrichshafen G III/IIIa (Daim)
18 780 879 Friedrichshafen G IIIa
18 1160 1209 Friedrichshafen G IIIa
18 1400 1449 Friedrichshafen G IIIa
18 880 909 Friedrichshafen G IIIa (Daim)
18 1000 1044 Friedrichshafen G IIIa (Daim)
18 1120 1159 Friedrichshafen G IIIa (Hansa)
18 1465 1564 Friedrichshafen G IIIa/IV
18 1045 1119 Friedrichshafen G IIIa/IV (Daim)

There was also a G.IIIb that featured a crawl path between the cockpit and the rear gunner's position. The Friedrichshafens were heavily used for tactical bombing as well as the more famous attacks on Paris.
They were particularly active during the spring offensive in 1918. Friedrichshafen and AEG bombers were known to fly several missions in one night, attacking aerodromes, troop camps, artillery positions, and ammo dumps.
They also flew low level strafing missions.
German crews liked the Friedrichshafen and AEG bombers because they could carry heavy loads and were less fragile than the Gothas who only saw as much use as they did because they were the only german bomber other than the giant Zeppelin R-type bomber aircraft that could reach London.

These bombers were a major nuisance to the allies, they were mentioned specifically in the treaty of Versailles along with the Fokker D.VII fighter as aircraft that the allies considered especially important that the Germans should surrender.
When the German Bogohls did surrendered their aircraft the Allies initially had a hard time believing that so few aircraft could have caused so much damage and terror in WW1.

------------------------------

Bogohl 1 - Friedrichshafen G.III, G.IIIa and (possibly) G.IIIb
Bogohl 2 - AEG G.IV
Bogohl 3 - Gotha G.IV, G.V, G.Va and G.Vb
Bogohl 4 - AEG G.IV
Bogohl 5 - Friedrichshafen G.III, G.IIIa and (possibly) G.IIIb
Bogohl 6 - Friedrichshafen G.III, G.IIIa and (possibly) G.IIIb
Bogohl 7 - Friedrichshafen G.III, G.IIIa and (possibly) G.IIIb
Bogohl 8 - Friedrichshafen G.III, G.IIIa and (possibly) G.IIIb

Bogohl stands for Bomber Geschwader Der Obersten Heeresleitung which means something like Bomber Wing Subordinate to the High Command.
- Each Bogohl consisted of 3 Bosta which stands for Bomber Staffel with 6 aircraft each,
during 1918 this was increased to 8 aircraft per squadron.

------------------------------

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2012, 11:49:09 AM »

-

pippin

« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2012, 12:35:59 AM »

Looking excellent as expected of you Max.
Very good paint I like that dark colouring looks very sinister!

Ian

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #45 on: November 07, 2012, 12:04:01 PM »

Looking excellent as expected of you Max.
Very good paint I like that dark colouring looks very sinister!

Ian

Thanks Ian, the green paint is actually even darker, I just made it a bit more light for the
screenshots for you to see some details better.
This one was part of the original paint-schemes when the airplane was first flown into
combat in early 1917. There was also an all pale-blue version and a dark green with rust-brown
camoflage paint-scheme. Later on in 1917 it started to use Lozenge fabric camouflage to better
hide it in its night-time bombing missions, but I have noticed in photos that some airplanes still
kept its original dark green and pale-blue colors throughout the Great War years until the end.
Perhaps those were the day-light bomber versions. Maybe they were.

alotef

• Modder
« Reply #46 on: November 07, 2012, 05:01:03 PM »

Great stuff Max. Will you repaint the cockpit too?
~Mike

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
« Reply #47 on: November 07, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

Great stuff Max. Will you repaint the cockpit too?
~Mike

Yes Mike, that is what I have also been doing.
Today, I painted some more details on the outside, added and removed some others to
better look like the real airplane, after I spent some hours zooming in into old Photographs
and looking at things close-up.
Many details shown in WW1 photos most often don´t make it into the blueprint drawings you
usually see in books or in internet webpages. So I am trying to make it as close to the real
flying machine as possible.
Today I have done new engines and some new Lozenge for Night bomber version.
I took a quick flight and tested another skin in the game ,Skin-test Nº 8, just to see
the details and if its looking alright. So it is almost finished.
Usually I am completely finished around test-skin Nº12.

Tomorrow I will add the strips on the wings for the Lozenge fabric, add more roundels for
the other countries (so everyone can make diferent "captured" allied bomber versions), add
some of my own original factory lettering/numbers and it should be ready as a Skin-template.
But its not finished yet,
 then I will paint some new pilot-skins, as these guys usually had their own style of clothing and had
some parts of their faces covered, because of the cold night flying in the open air. Very cold at night.

Then I will have to re-paint again the interior cockpit layer some more and fix up some other details,
which is inside the main airplane folder.
This detailed cockpit layer is independent from the main skin and is only "seen" when you sit inside behind
the pilots seat on the airplane.
Which means, this new cockpit layer has to be added and "over-written" over the original one, so then what you
see on my skin from the outside, will also be what you see on the inside of airplane. This is "only" for the interior
details and not for the camouflage skin you usually change often.
All these diferent files will be posted separetly and you can choose what you want to do with your new bomber...
... just use the normal camouflage skins and keep the original interior, or use them both. I will include a READ-ME
also with some screenshots so , you can see what I mean.
If you look at my earlier screenshots, you will see part of my test-screenshots which I already started to paint in
new details into my own interior cockpit. It looks a little diferent than what you are flying now.
At the moment I am flying in a totally new cockpit with much more realistic looking things than what yoy guys have.

Well,
tomorrow afternoon I will post some new test-screenshots for you to see and at around 01:00 hours (1 AM - friday)
I will post for you the new skin-template and also some cool skins for you to enjoy and start making some excellent missions
for us to fly.
 I need new WW1 missions featuring these awesome bomber !!

These bombers were actually considered much better than the Gotha bombers and they were
much feared and hated by the allied forces in WW1. They were mentioned specifically in the treaty
of Versailles along with the Fokker D.VII fighter as aircraft that the allies considered especially
important that the Germans should surrender.
When the German Bogohls (Bomber-squadrons) did surrendered their aircraft, the Allies initially had
a hard time believing that so few aircraft could have caused so much damage and terror in WW1.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 22 queries.