Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Community 3D model storage  (Read 702 times)

Chaoic16

• Modder
Community 3D model storage
« on: March 30, 2012, 04:59:37 PM »

Hello everyone,

I have suggested this before and since SAS community have grew so much through time, so I have decided to re-post this interesting idea where I think would help 3D modelling community vastly in 3D modelling projects.  For each aircraft projects, modeller could start making individual model of engine, propeller, wing, landing gear, fuselage, flap, spoils, rudder, elevator, and other aircraft components and storage into each different groups of components.  And at the same time, modeler that start building aircraft for IL-2 1946 would use models from these components from our "Storage of 3D models" and put aircraft together like "legos method" and modify these shapes to match actual aircraft.  At the same time, programmer can use these components for damage model that is already put together and prepared to be recognized as separated parts for these purposes.  With this methods, more unique components are made and more modellers can build aircraft out of these and wield them together, making it more efficient for aircraft building project for now to future.  These method could be much more efficient than having to build aircraft from scratch all over and over.

I believe this may be great help to 3D modelling in this community and I would like to hear your feedback/suggestion about this.  I would like to what this community think and how you agree or disagree to this idea.

Chaoic out...

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
Re: Community 3D model storage
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 11:19:20 AM »

I can't help but wonder if it was practical why it hasn't been done already. Presumeably the craftsman-like attention to detail, modelling tools used, scale, would all vary and might make it difficult. Also, time - you're waiting on an engine cowling but some inconsiderate bastard has this thing called a "life", which has thrown a spin ball, and so suddenly you can't progress because the component contributers cannot work on the same schedule - the difference between modders and a proffessional studio sadly. I'd love to see it work, but I wonder if it would.

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:03:02 PM »

That is why we start with something instead of never trying at all.  And modders could start cutting engnie cowling out of any existing add-on aircraft and put them in storage as an example, along with other aircraft parts where other modders can use for other aircraft projects.  And that is where community can download any aircraft parts from community storage of 3D models of any aircraft parts for any specific countries and aircraft and put them together to create new aircraft.  And at the same time, when modeller is done with building aircraft, these modellers would send their parts into community 3D storage as new parts that is modified, rescaled, and re-shaped for their aircraft projects.  you don't have to wait for specific person to finish engine cowling and if there is none of engine cowling, then modeller would create new one then storage it into community 3D storage.  That way storage keep growing with unique different parts to be used for any aircraft building projects of any types.  We will start with small storage yes, but through time, it will grow into a massive storage and it would benefit community huge time.

Chaoic out...

Moggy Cattermole

• Lt Clack, Lt Boyce, Cpl Pike, PC Palmer
  • Modder
  • 1RIFLES - 1QDG - 4SCOTS - MPS 2185SO
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 05:37:35 PM »

Heh. Redefinition of frankenplane, huh? To think at one time, some people thought it a dirty word...

Cuthbert

Chaoic16

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 06:32:52 PM »

Heh. Redefinition of frankenplane, huh? To think at one time, some people thought it a dirty word...

Cuthbert

We could either use existing model and improve it (reshape) into better model or create new model entirely.  There is many ways we can do with community 3D model storage.  This also could inspire modeller into making any different parts of aircraft which would give more parts available for any modders to build aircraft with.

Chaoic out...
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.013 seconds with 25 queries.