Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Curtiss Hawk III Project  (Read 55021 times)

Uufflakke

• Modder
Re: Curtiss Hawk III build: Week 4
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2012, 07:59:23 AM »

When I search for the Hawker III they all have the longer and narrower telescope sight.
Probably you have seen the images already but just in case:

http://www.cnac.org/emilscott/planes01.htm

"The Best Things In Live Aren't Things"

leperemagloire

• Modder
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2012, 03:38:58 AM »

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2012, 05:10:18 AM »

What with an overhead wing, struts and wiring to both sides, sitting low in the cockpit and then a telescopic scope planted right in front of your nose, it's a wonder pilots of planes like this could see where in the world they were going ... remarkable that more of them didn't crash ...

SAS~Loku

• SAS Team
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2012, 05:37:07 AM »

You fly Avia, Cr42, Gladiator in game so you knew that cokcpit view is limited but not so bad.Hawk upper wing is rather mounted high and cowling is placed low so theres enough space for clear front view.
P7a/P11c/f/g P24a/b/e/f/g PZL23/42 PWS-10/26 R-XIII RWD-10/14 GeeBeeR1/R2/Granville P-45 , WhippetMkI, Sdkfz-234/1/2, Kurogane, TKS, Wz.29/34 and some other shit XD

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2012, 05:38:57 AM »

You fly Avia, Cr42, Gladiator in game so you knew that cokcpit view is limited but not so bad.Hawk upper wing is rather mounted high and cowling is placed low so theres enough space for clear front view.

But I never saw a close-up of how the telescopic scope was mounted before ... right in the line of view ...

The_Jester

• Mobilis in Mobili
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2012, 11:09:25 PM »

I've done a little reading and from what I understand these so called telescopic sights weren't actually telescopic. They were either a tube with a crosshair in them or relied on 1:1 magnification(as in none at all.) I don't know if that helps you, but it might.

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
  • First bird gets worm, Second mouse gets cheese!
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2012, 12:18:36 PM »

Here is the Week 5 update

I was really busy the past weekend. So, I didn't get around to posting. Also, I'm sure some of you may recall plans to work on the wing struts, control rods, and gun sight. In the end, I worked on the tail wheel and frame. Why?

Well for starters, I had a tough time aligning the lower strut on the tail fins. After hours of hair-pulling frustration, I decided to work on everything involving the tail to make sure things align properly. When the plane's complete, I will see about allowing users the option to remove the tail cover 'cause a lot of love went into the rear-end.  ;)

Note: It was difficult building the rear assembly because there's not a lot of reference besides dark-grainy photos. I ended up using ref. photos from the FBC-1 Goshawk at the Pensacola Naval Museum to make a few "swags" (scientific, wild-a&*! guesses). So, this week's goal is to finish off the tail cover, and start work on the wing struts and wire braces.

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
  • First bird gets worm, Second mouse gets cheese!
Re: Curtiss Hawk III build: Week 5
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »

Lastly, one question for all. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in working on the cockpit. I know it is a lot to ask because everyone's busy.

But, I only ask because it may save time and a great modder once said, "Time is the modder's worst enemy." Nonetheless, I'm not afraid to build the cockpit myself. In such a situation I will throw the plane into beta while borrowing a default cockpit. Of course, this is all in the future. But...one must always plan. :)

If anyone's interested I will PM you references regarding the cockpit. As always, anyone who takes up the project will be fully credited for the cockpit.

(Note: I understand there is a section for request. But I felt since this is specific to the Hawk III build, I'd post here. If any moderator disagrees I will move this question to the request section along with reference images that I have.)

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2012, 02:21:02 PM »

Think you will pull this through: you are doing the worst bits first. Never seen such a complicated tail wheel assembly before!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

juanmalapuente

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2012, 03:59:12 PM »

Looking better and better every week.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2012, 04:50:10 PM »

but does the tail wheel and tube structure realy need so many polygones? overkill? ;-)

mojojojo

• the only guy who uses the wildcat in multiplayer
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2012, 05:42:29 PM »

that looks great! keep it up!
i7 4790K quad core 4.4GHz/8GB DDR3-1600/ASUS Z87-A/ EVGA GTX 970 4GB/128GB A-Data SSD+1TB HDD/EVGA 650w 80+ gold PSU/ NZXT Source 530 gaming case
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.