Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Curtiss Hawk III Project  (Read 55133 times)

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
  • First bird gets worm, Second mouse gets cheese!
Re: Curtiss Hawk III Build: Week 3
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 02:10:52 PM »

Nothing earth-shattering really. But as scheduled, I have finished the wings + control surfaces.  Solved my problems with wing roots thanks to advice by champi, plus tutorials from other 3d websites. My approach was a tad different, but it worked out in the end. Now moving onto wheel wells and cowling. I'm going to model the cowl for both the BF2C and Hawk III export variant. If, I'm lucky I might get the wing struts done also - but no promises though.

However, one lingering question that hopefully can be answered by any Golden Age enthusiast. Are there any flaps on this bird? For the life of me, I can't find any hard evidence. I've always assumed that flaps were standard on '30s planes -- i.e.   P-26, Gloster Gladiator, etc. If not, how in the world did pilots land this plane on a carrier deck. :o Even with a hook, it must have been a hard landing. Always something new to learn every day.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
Re: Curtiss Hawk III build: Week 3 update
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2012, 03:15:41 PM »

...amazing?
;) me like what you did!

Joberg

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 09:29:11 AM »

Looks really nice so far

leperemagloire

• Modder
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 11:32:30 AM »

Are there any flaps on this bird ?
I do not know if this will be enough !

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012, 10:19:02 PM »

Are there any flaps on this bird ?
I do not know if this will be enough !

Absolutely enough, thanks for the additional pics. I also answered my own question on how navy flyers were able to land the bird on the deck. With further reading I found this:

Nonetheless, landings must have been hard on the plane because the landing gear wasn't quite up to the task. The navy ended up declaring the BF2C unfit for duty within a year of its service.

On a side note, I finished the cowling for the BF2C and Hawk III variants. I also made some minor changes to the fuselage's nose, and polished off the tail. Now, I'm just putting the finishing touches on the wheel wells.  I should be able to post up in-progress pictures during the coming weekend.

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2012, 11:13:54 PM »

Good to see that you are still working hard on this bird! God speed!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
Re: Curtiss Hawk III build: Week 4
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012, 07:53:48 PM »

Hiya all,

Finished both cowlings and wheel-well. Now, moving onto the gun nacelles, wing struts, control rods, and gun sight. For gun nacelles, there are two versions I will work on. The USN and Chinese version, which we commonly see in line drawings. And the Thai/Argentine version, which is slightly more bulbous.

One question, that hopefully can be answered. I've discovered by perusing my personal gallery that the BF2C and the Hawk III used different sights. I am guessing that the USN used the "Mark III Model 4" telescopic sight that we'd find on the Buffalo, which I can borrow for the BF2C "Goshawk". In the photo below, you can see the much fatter tube sight on the navy bird. By comparison, the Hawk III's sight is much narrower and longer.

Does anyone have any information on the gun sight used on the Hawk III?

Verhängnis

• Unofficial Heinkel Fan
  • Modder
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »

Nice work there. I think for the gun sight - as typical of aircraft of that era it was most likely just a telescopic sight; like what is on the Fokker monoplanes.

SAS~Loku

• SAS Team
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2012, 03:18:57 AM »

I would take a photo as a reference for gunsight not a colour profile, from my own experience i can tell you there is a lot mistakes on them and they are not good to be a base for 3D model.
P7a/P11c/f/g P24a/b/e/f/g PZL23/42 PWS-10/26 R-XIII RWD-10/14 GeeBeeR1/R2/Granville P-45 , WhippetMkI, Sdkfz-234/1/2, Kurogane, TKS, Wz.29/34 and some other shit XD

Bee

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »

Very nicely done.  It's really beginning to look the part.

LiddleMaus

• Liddle_Maus
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2012, 07:05:22 PM »

I would take a photo as a reference for gunsight not a colour profile, from my own experience i can tell you there is a lot mistakes on them and they are not good to be a base for 3D model.

I totally agree, 100%. I make all of my final modeling decision based on historic photos. So, silly me -- why did I post up line drawings....  :P

But, here is additional reference:

[Left: Curtis Hawk III Export Variant / Right: Fokker D.XXI]

Lastly, thanks Verhängnis. The Fokker's gunsight turns out to be the closest match. I may borrow it in the future, but I will still need to make modifications -- if possible.

David Prosser

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2012, 06:23:30 AM »

Keep up the good work!

cheers

David Prosser
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 21 queries.