Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: J7W1  (Read 111069 times)

Vampire_pilot

Re: J7W1
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 08:19:20 AM »

that baby is really nice... although the wing tanks could definitely need some extra armour!

but the new FM pulls over like a horse...

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2010, 08:34:50 AM »

I know this plane was actualy built but it never saw action so some may call this a what if plane but I would love to see this one "grow" a bit into what if the Japanese made a carrier version. Folding wings just outside the tail fins and a tail hook for recovery. The carrier version for deploying them to attack B-29s from anywhere in the pacific.
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

SAS~Sani

• Shredder
  • SAS Team
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2010, 12:33:26 PM »

but the new FM pulls over like a horse...

You mean torque?...it has over 2000hp and a huge six blade prop...and tiny rudders :)

Vampire_pilot

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 01:12:19 AM »

and a pusher prop for that matter too. this feels difrent.

well, there is trimming, one of the very few planes I cannot fly without trim or break my hand;)

max_thehitman

• SAS~Area51
  • Modder
  • Beer...Girls...IL2+Mods!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 05:01:20 PM »

This aircraft is a pleasure to fly and really beautiful to behold.

Highlander, those are some Grade-A top-Gun quality skins , mate!
Superb paintjob you did on it. *BIG APPLAUSE*
The other skin-artists also di d a super-duper good job on this one too!
Congrats to everyone!
Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening ! Welcome to SAS1946

straswa

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

Awesome work on the skins and plane! Thanks!

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2010, 01:43:31 AM »

You mean torque?...it has over 2000hp and a huge six blade prop...and tiny rudders :)
I just took this one for a test yesterday, expecting a significant torque effect with the new FM in place.
However, instead of torque issues I saw this one showing a massive AOA increase when pulling the stick, unlike any other canard aircraft I've tested in other simulations. I'm not quite sure whether this would reflect realistic behaviour, but as far as I can tell these high AOA looks a bit too massive to me.
Yes, the 2000 hp keep you from falling into a stall though, but on the other hand due to that behaviour the maneuverability isn't as high as one would expect for this aircraft design.

Another thing I noticed is that the rudder seems to operate too good to be true.
Canards usually show poor rudder response due to the control surfaces being pretty close to the center of gravity.
Since the J7W1 uses quite small rudder surfaces, one would expect to see more trouble when rudder input is neccessary.

Just my 0.02$...

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

SAS~Sani

• Shredder
  • SAS Team
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2010, 02:03:52 AM »

I've tried to actualy position rudder forces near the center of gravity...but then I get a plane that is so directionaly unstable that it can't perform a simple roll.So this is a small compromise just to keep it flyable ;)
About AoA,maybe it just looks massive because elevators lift the nose instead of lowering the tail (where pilot sits at the pivot point)...

SAS~Storebror

• Editor
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2010, 03:59:30 AM »

I've tried to actualy position rudder forces near the center of gravity...but then I get a plane that is so directionaly unstable that it can't perform a simple roll.So this is a small compromise just to keep it flyable ;)
No problem, I'm perfectly fine with this (as with the plane at all), just wanted to mention it.
I can fully understand your point.

About AoA,maybe it just looks massive because elevators lift the nose instead of lowering the tail (where pilot sits at the pivot point)...
Yes maybe. I'll have to track this down later (maybe this weekend) with wingtip smoke on and from a slightly increased distance.

Best regards - Mike
Don't split your mentality without thinking twice.

tater718

• Banned From Google
  • She's real fine my 409!
    • http://imageshack.us/
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:28 PM »

The first thing I did when the new FM was available was to see if it flew like what I have read about canard designs.Try fooling around with this AC with the engine off and you'll see some amazing stall properties.

caldrail

• http://www.unrv.com/forum/blog/31-caldrails-blog/
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2010, 02:53:32 AM »

I know this plane was actualy built but it never saw action so some may call this a what if plane but I would love to see this one "grow" a bit into what if the Japanese made a carrier version. Folding wings just outside the tail fins and a tail hook for recovery. The carrier version for deploying them to attack B-29s from anywhere in the pacific.

I would have thought this aeroplane was wholly unsuited to carrier ops. One heavy landing and you've wiped out a propellor/engine. If the hook doesn't get the cables the prop will slice them. Plus, if the SAS fm is correct, you'd need a catapult to get it off the deck at all. Build one by all means if you want, but it's stretching a point.

SAS~Bombsaway

• Choose your battles wisely.
  • SAS Team
  • A day without laughter is a day wasted
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2010, 07:14:20 AM »

Sometimes "streaching a point" is just having fun. Some planes that are now availible are probably "streaching a point" to those who would fight all day about the dreaded "What if" concept. It was just a "flight of fancy" of a suggestion so to speak. ;D
Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 28 queries.