Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Finding missing objects when FMB missions do not load?  (Read 971 times)

mandrill

• Modder
Finding missing objects when FMB missions do not load?
« on: February 13, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »

The most foolish of foolish rookie questions. This isn't about .sfs files or anything hi tech. I have installed a couple of the brand new maps. I have a standard 3.06 / 4.101 installation with custom mods.

I can load the maps - i.e therefore, I have all the _tex files. But I cannot save and fly missions. Therefore, I am missing some objects.

I pressed shift-tab and got a log of java commands. In the past, this has been useful in tracking down missing tex .tga's. The log was not as obvious this time. However, it did refer to 1 or 2 things which could be missing objects.

1. How can I copy and save the log, so I can reproduce it?
2. Is there another way to track down missing objects?

I apologize. Someone who has been around as long as I have should really know this stuff.

tomoose

• Modder
  • Iiiiiiiit's ME! Hurrah!!
    • 71 "Eagle" Squadron
Re: Finding missing objects when FMB missions do not load?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 06:46:11 PM »

I had the exact same problem until one of the gurus here pointed me to the universal-static-ini-checker.  Do a search for that, DL it, and run it.  It will give you a list of what's missing.
Hope this helps.
 ;)

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »

Anyway, I tried again w the new Viet Nam map. The shift-tab command produced a missing object. Actually, something I had already in Boomer's d/l from last year.

I copied the file into a stand-alone folder in my #SAS folder, as sometimes I find that the game "misses" objects unless fed them a couple of times.

Then, I tried to save another mission. No missing objects this time, but the message:

"java. lang. NullPointerException"

Anyone know what is going on?

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 10:08:05 PM »

mandrill, both previous posters have advised to use the static.ini checker, yet your last reply seems to ignore that, starting with 'anyway', and no mention of having tried it at all.
i can only advise again that it is the best available tool for finding/checking missing objects.
using shift-tab will not necessarily show missing objects, it's generally better for missing textures.
universal static.ini checker is the best advice we can give, so how about some feedback from using it?
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

mandrill

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 06:50:04 AM »

Yes, i should have tried it and will, without delay. I assumed when I initially got results with the shift-tab method that I could figure out the problem without loading and learning a new program. Thanks.

asheshouse

• SAS Team
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 07:23:27 AM »

I find the Universal Static Ini Checker easy to use and excellent for working out what objects are missing from new maps.

I have a folder MapTools and in that  universal_static.ini_checkerV1.3.zip

I can click on that to open the zip and inside is universal_static.ini_checkerV1.3.exe

I can run this from inside the zip file without extracting. You may have to extract it first.

Either way -- Run the prog

The Prog window will open  --- click on Search -- then   ... missing objects.

Browse to the actors.static of the map which you want to examine. -- click on it.  then OK

Click on select static.ini manually  -- OK

Browse to your static.ini  -- click on it

A notepad window will open with a list of any missing objects.

Thats it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.014 seconds with 26 queries.