Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Flaw in flight models when dogfighting  (Read 12059 times)

brettt777

Flaw in flight models when dogfighting
« on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:21 PM »

So I flew several different dogfight scenarios this evening and maybe it's just me but there seems to be a serious flaw in the flight model when dogfighting. In every scenario, no matter what plane I was flying or what plane I was flying against, if my oposition was in the air, i.e. if I hadn't shot him down (didn't happen very often) of if he hadn't crashed, as long as he was in the air, my plane was seriously lacking in power and airspeed. For instance, I had a P-51D against an FW-190. Fairly even for the most part although the Mustang has a speed advantage at altitude. At just above sea level when I was either being pursued or in pursuit, I could barely get 230-240 KIAS. He didn't seem to have any problem at all with his airspeed and being able to climb at will. So, I tried it against a 109 in the rookie setting. Being a rookie, he crashed not long after I got airborne. All of a sudden I could get 300 plus KIAS in level flight. I put an F9F againt a 190, also a rookie. At altitude, chasing the 190, I was turning about 88% rpm and could barely get 250 KIAS. After I eventually got close enough to shoot him down, I suddenly had tons of power and speed. I could cruise at just under 400 KIAS at about 85%. What's the deal? I know I am not imagining this. I tried this with about 8-10 different scenarios and every time I saw the same thing. As long as there was an enemy in the air, I was down on power and airspeed. Oh, and if I took my eye off him for more than a second or two, he would vanish, and then magically be able to loop back around undetected and be right on my tail in only a few seconds. So has anyone else noticed this or does anyone even dogfight in single player mode? I will eventually try mutiplayer and fly against real sim pilots but I'm not real good at the dogfight yet.

BT~Tarik

• Modder
Re: Flaw in flight models when dogfighting
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2012, 11:53:19 PM »

You are most likely doing something wrong with your engine management. What prop pitch do you fly with when chasing the enemy ? If you are rather low then no wonder why you are so slow.

Also very often the AI climbs when it is being chased, and if you don't have a speed advantage you will loose speed quickly. The AI won't (if you play not on DBW  but another 4101 version, it's always good to tell what game version) because it doesn't overheat and so on.

Maybe if you manage to shoot him down you level again and or lose some altitude, that's maybe why you speed up then.

I don't have this problem in DBW, and I only play offline.

As I said it's probably you who is doing something wrong.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2012, 01:10:51 AM »

I'll just throw in here too-190>mustang at low alt.
Hell, I started a whole thread on the subject  :D

However, I cannot duplicate your problem in DBW. Please more details on your game version.

brettt777

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2012, 07:45:46 AM »

Well, the Mustang may have a slight disadvantage at low altitude against a 190, but a Bearcat doesn't (the Bear was actualy modeled after the 190, sort of). And I had the same situation with it. Trying to chase down the 190 (or even the 109) straight and level because I certainly couldn't keep up with his rate of climb even thought they are rated the same, I could barely get more than 250 KIAS. Throttle and prop pitch, maxed out or set up for cruise, made no difference. If I flew the exact same plane at the exact same altitude and exact same load out, only no enemy aircraft, I could easily cruise at around 300 KIAS without working the engine hard. And as I said last night, it's not just the prop planes that I noticed this with. The jets are the exact same way. I tried the Sabre, the Panther and the MiG-17 and all of them did the exact same thing; enemy in the air, way down on power and speed. No enemy in the air, plenty of power and speed. I'm not sure how to do it but I will try to make a recording of this and let you guys see it so you'll know I'm not making this up. Yes, I am a rookie when it comes to aerial combat but I definitely know a thing or two about airplanes (twelve years in US Naval aviation, working on L-39s for a living for the last 4 1/2 years).

CWMV

• Modder
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 09:06:26 AM »

What game version?

brettt777

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2012, 09:40:47 AM »

Oh, sorry. Should have put that in there before. It's IL2 1946 obviously, patched to 4.10.1 with the latest buttons and Modact version 3.06.

CWMV

• Modder
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2012, 01:39:39 AM »

Well Ive tried in DBW and UP3.
I cannot, under any circumstances duplicate your results.

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2012, 03:51:59 AM »

move to FM discussions... anyone?
*refrains from commenting*

brettt777

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:31:52 PM »

Well, I will try it again this evening and see what happens. Maybe I'm missing something. It certainly wouldn't be the first time...

sluggs

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:34:36 PM »

While it's slightly off topic, I've found that the Allison-powered P-51A completely dominates 190s and 109s at see level. I've never really fought them at high altitude (unless the enemy does that bullshit "constant climb," and even then the P-51A can keep up), but bellow 15,000 feet, the P-51A is a monster. I think it's already been said that the stock P-51s that come with the game under perform for some reason.

FANATIC MODDER

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 02:01:25 PM »

It all comes to lighter weight. Take off weight in P-51B/Cs is less by approx 200kgs in comparison to P-51Ds and P-51As are even lighter.

LuseKofte

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2012, 03:54:54 PM »

While it's slightly off topic, I've found that the Allison-powered P-51A completely dominates 190s and 109s at see level. I've never really fought them at high altitude (unless the enemy does that bullshit "constant climb," and even then the P-51A can keep up), but bellow 15,000 feet, the P-51A is a monster. I think it's already been said that the stock P-51s that come with the game under perform for some reason.

The P-51 with allison engines was superior at low level, it was very fast at sea level and was redrawn as a fighter by RAF, because of its bad performance at altitude. As a low level ground attack role and recon it was prefered by English pilots
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.076 seconds with 27 queries.