Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Full Mission Builder - Beginner's Tutorial!  (Read 38661 times)

pierre1946

Re: Full Mission Builder - Beginner's Tutorial!
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 05:16:40 AM »

Enjoying myself greatly..... I studied the 5 tutorials up until now.

And found the Bearcat to boot!

Groovy job, Kiwi, thank you!

I made word.docs of your work.

When all is said and done and you want them for spreading around, just holler.

Pierre

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 07:03:49 AM »

Cool, thanx Pierre, we can post a link to your docs when we're finished - I think that would be really useful.

Just got to get over the hump of getting all the objects sorted and tutorial 5 finished (it's probably the most time consuming part since I'm building my 3.06 modact install at the same time) - then we can get on to the really fun stuff!  :)

@Saab - thanx for your feedback, it's great to know the tutorials are helping.  I can remember the first time I tried the FMB - it was like WTF???  Then someone pointed me at Flying Nutcase's website.  I've been having a ball ever since!  ;D

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »

Thanks, this is a great help.  I'm having so much fun with the IL 2 modding stuff

I'm a nugget (noobie) and I'm wondering if there is an object number to object type cross reference?  Terms like Object 893 don't tell you much and it is time consuming to look at each object when building a mission.

RedSpade

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 10:40:41 PM »

hi RedSpade, and welcome to the forum!
perhaps this thread will help you a bit: https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,5885.msg59485.html#msg59485

it goes some way to explaining how the objects work, but there will always be difficulties, due to the way the game engine handles objects.
for instance, with each new patch, mods, etc, there are often new objects being added, and this often changes the number sequence as well, just to make things extra difficult.  :P
read through the thread, it should help a bit.
there was also a little utility available that lists each object, with pictures, for easier reference.
it also allowed you to add extra objects with the option of adding your own pics, details, etc.
unfortunately, i've spent the last hour searching for it and so far have drawn a blank.  ::)
if another member knows what i'm referring to, and can help locate it, i'd be grateful.  ;)
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 12:52:25 AM »

Is this the one Malone, Object Viewer by Socorrista and Burns?

http://ultrapack.tuttovola.org/index.php/topic,1504.0.html

and some more more about it here:

http://ultrapack.tuttovola.org/index.php?topic=4121.0

Hiya RedSpade  :)

Did you try the Universal Static Checker - it's incredibly useful, and the object tool I use most often, there are links and a description in Tutorial 06.  The Object Viewer above is really good too.  If setting those up are not your cup of tea (I'm borderline OCD myself, so they suit me fine!) here's a trick you can try, on the fly so to speak:

In the FMB - place an object and view it in the 3D world - object '0' is good to start with - and then just mash the 'Page Up' or Page Down' keys as fast as you can.  If you played Space Invaders when you were a kid, you'll get thru the entire object menu in a couple minutes.  Stop whenever you see objects you think you'll use, and jot down the numbers and a short description.  Low tech, foolproof, just about as good as the viewer and checker tools, and only takes a few minutes to set up the whole 'system'.  8)

Hope that helps some.
Kiwi

Edit: here's another object viewer post by Boomer - this one is for UP3.0 and is the most up to date one possibly.  I think this is the version I have installed:

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php?topic=16098.0

RedSpade

• Thankful to all modders
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 07:29:19 PM »

Thanks Kiwi & Malone,

I haven't tried much of anything yet, because I'm too new to all of this.  I'm also having so much fun that it is hard to find sufficient time to do all the things and try all of the things I want to do.  Dang if only I didn't have to go to work, sleep, eat, . . .  so many things to try, so little time . . .

Thanks kindly for the links and suggestions.  I will give them a try.

SAS~Malone

• flying as #46 with the FAC
  • Editor
  • proud member of that 'other' site
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 09:54:41 PM »

cool, RedSpade, take your time, mate, there really is a hell of a lot to learn with this sim in it's modded form.
10 years down the line (no, heck, it's 12 years now!!!) and i'm still learning new stuff.  :o ;D

@ KiwiB, yes, thanks, mate, that last link of yours was the one i was looking for. cheers!
.....taking fun seriously since 1968.....  8)

Sharkzz

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2016, 08:19:56 PM »

a bit old but a good place to ask I think.
I used to have a small program called mission brief editor - it could quickly change your mission/pilot's briefing so you didn't have to stick in all the <ARMY><ARMY RED/BLUE> bits. it did it for you, can anyone remember or still have a copy of this ? it is a few years ago , and couldn't find it using good ole googsly search.. it was also good for those who are/were hosting with server client/s. ty
Sharkzz...
New Right Arm Amputee, One armed flyer and Longboard surfer, I now swim and paddle in circles .

ohasha

« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2017, 09:18:44 PM »

Is this still WIP or is it all wrapped up Kiwi? Also where bouts in NZ you live if you're still here?

KiwiBiggles

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2017, 03:08:08 PM »

Hi Ohasha, sorry for the late reply.

I haven't worked on these tutorials in a long while, but yes, they're always WIP really. Since I started these, we've had taxi-to-takeoff and other improvements added to the game, besides which I've since learned others tips from the community, and my own mission building style has evolved over time--but the basics still hold true.

Worst thing for these threads is the Photobucket debacle which has killed the image hotlinks (ransomware? they want $400.00 per annum to hotlink the images which were uploaded years ago under terms and conditions where it was free).

Fortunately, the guys over at mission4today kindly archived these articles complete with images, and even better, the Flying Nutcase classic original tutorials which inspired these tutorials when they disappeared from the web for a time.  Follow the links:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=89

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Knowledge_Base&cat=95

That lot will have anyone well on their way to building some really nice missions!

Flying Nutcase is a fellow Kiwi who was living in Japan as I recall, when he was active in the community.  Great guy. 

I'm living out in the tropical paradise of West Auckland!  8)

Let me know if you're having any mission building problems, will do my best to help.

Cheers,  :)
KB

Crashlight

« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

I made my first IL-2 mission today. I followed the youtube links to Flying Nutcase's tutorials and found a bunch of others there. Then I just ran Flying Nutcase's looped while I built the mission. Pretty easy that way. Flying Tigers intercept out of Toungoo was the mission. I have made missions for other games, but none were as easy as IL-2's FMB. Had it finished in about an hour.

ace_hiccup

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2018, 12:18:47 PM »

Has a pdf been made for this one? I'd (and so many others) would really appreciate one if any.
Otherwise, great job mate.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 27 queries.