Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pilot career too difficult?  (Read 6110 times)

IonicRipper

Pilot career too difficult?
« on: January 30, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »

I admit im totally new to combat flight sims and i have very limited skills when it comes to dog fights and im still learning.
But the pilot career in IL2 '46 just seems stupid to be honest; heres why...

Joined the USMC December 21st 1941 after a few days of quick missions to get accustomed to the games physics and AI and i think i grasp the basics fairly well.

First sortie went relatively well: Combat patrol with 3 other pilots, we lost 1 but downed 3 Zekes. Landed and went on to the next sortie.

This time they send only me and our company C/O on a combat patrol. We encounter 3 Zekez once again, i stay on my flight leader's tail the whole time while he shot down all 3 of them on his own. We continue our patrol only to encounter 2 flights of 4 Zeros and my flight leader gets killed within 30 seconds... I didnt last much longer.

Why the hell would they send a patrol of 2 F4F-3's on a patrol around the hottest part of the map? Its suicide!
I restarted a few careers and always ends up the same way in 1 or 2 sorties.

IonicRipper

Re: Pilot career too difficult?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »

Thanks for the reply Kiwi, will look into the mission builder but im kind of a lazy guy, i like to have mission all ready for me you know :P

As for the tutorial, i could really use the help. If you ever get down to do it, let me know :)

rollnloop

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 03:26:01 PM »

i'm far from my gaming PC but, since i guess it's the dynamic pacific campaign you suffer with, just let  you know you can look for setting up different difficulty settings in dgen section of the conf.ini

Try googling dgen settings first, then try mission 4 today website for info if needed. Have fun  :)

US_GRANT

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »

One thing you do not know about the campaigns. They take loss into account. If you have only 4 planes to begin with and lose any, you lose two planes available for the next mission. In order to build up your forces, you will need to succeed with no losses for a while. That's if you play with the stock campaigns. If, however you use Lowengrin's Dynamic Campaign Generator  (http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php), you can control many aspects of your campaign including how many acft are available for each mission.

SAS~Riken

• "Area 51"
  • SAS Team
  • Where's Waldo? Who's Waldo?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 05:00:37 PM »

Well, to start you off, you first need to understand that the USMC based at Wake island on 21 Dec. 41, lost alot of aircraft due to mechanical failures or shot up before the game action starts you off as, you, the pilot, are starting the missions after being kicked in the butt. The history is pretty close as to the game anyway for US forces. most of the time, they were lucky to get 4 into the air and have 4 come home without any problems. They were cut off from US resupply routes so, again, they went with what they had in store for them.

As for the Japaneese, well, they had a good number of aircraft used for Wake Island missions. but you wont see the accurate number in your game. :D Once you get past 3 missions in campaign, your notice that you'll have to fly and fight like no other, because there are a couple of missions that have like 25-50 planes to your 4 to 6 wildcats... while your still on the ground trying to take off to get into the fight.

But practice will make perfect. first, you want to know your plane. do some take offs and landings without any enemy forces around, then go up against 1 plane at rookie level. and keep working the levels until you beat an ace on your own. Then you should be ready for a 1 against 4 odds combat ;)

remember that the AI in game are not all that smart, especially your wingman or C/O :D :D :D but dont you worry there mate, you will work up enough skill credit to be your own C/O and you have to babysit your wingman. Because he will get picked off pretty quickly.... unless your flying online, then it's up to your real life wingmans skills.

If at first you dont succeed, try it again ;) Other missions are easier or harder than what you have already flown. Hope this helps out. Happy flying there mate ;) good luck!

Riken

IonicRipper

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 11:54:36 PM »

Thanks for all the great advice! Specially you, Riken

What date do you guys think I should start my career at then?

kpn.kardif

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 12:52:17 AM »

There have been a lot of really great player created campaigns produced over the years, checking some of those out may be to your liking.  If you want to stick with the Pacific flying F4F's, check out out the World War II Cruise campaigns posted over at M4T:

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=3787

It's a static campaign, but the author did a great job of implementing a great story into it along with some really fun missions.  He set up some "training battles" where you end up fighting other F4F's and P-40's with Japaneses markings, creative solution to simulating training dogfights that many pilots engaged in during the war.  Then of course there's going up against the Zeke's  8) 

JimmyBlonde

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 01:39:20 AM »

Try getting Il-2 Sturmovik Stab from Mission4Today. It has a bunch of neat stuff for campaigns including easy ways to customise them.

http://www.mission4today.com/index.php?name=Downloads&file=details&id=2169

IonicRipper

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 06:23:46 PM »

Lowengrin's DCG did the trick! :D

Set the AI to rookie for now and when i gain some skills i'll gradually up their level.

I had a blast on my first sortie (which is the point after all :) ) and shot down two D3A1

SAS~Riken

• "Area 51"
  • SAS Team
  • Where's Waldo? Who's Waldo?
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2012, 04:58:39 AM »

You knnow, I forgot to mention that you could also start off with single missions or quick missions to get you started. that way, if you die in campaigns, you wont loose your status and all your hard work too ;) It's a good way to boost your skills.

US_GRANT

• Modder
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »

In DCG, you can control whether or not you lose your stats when you die.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 24 queries.