Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: Finland - Suomussalmi Map  (Read 40762 times)

F19_Klunk

Re: Finland - Suomussalmi Map
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 12:03:15 PM »

great news :D

and dont worry.. I think it's a good idea to seperate the different fronts; Soumussalmi  front and Salla front

let me know if I can help in any way

F19_Klunk

« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2012, 12:14:53 PM »

PS: I see that the Ulrik bases on your maps are "land based" . All workfields (not counting HW at Kemi) such as Ulrik 1 and 2, Nora 1 and 2, Oskar and Svea were Ice airfields but I guess it's a decent compromise as you can't make them usably on any other time of the year than winter :)

PS There was a FAF ice airfield just east of Ulrik 2...eastern part of lake Oulujärvi...left of the Soviet flag "Kuluntalahti ice airfield".. cannot determine if you have marked it out.. if you place the Ulrik bases on land you might as well keep this on land as well

SAS~Poltava

• Avid FMB user
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Help Ukraine fight
    • Check out my modded campaigns
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2012, 12:16:04 PM »

That's a great idea! There were a lot of interesting air campaigns fought in and around Finland during WW2!!!

And just having the chance of seeing a REAL F19 campaign over a piece of authentic ground is thrilling! +1 to F19_Klunks ideas!
You want to give financial support to a front line Ukraine unit fighting the Russian invaders? Paypal kyivragnarock@gmail.com

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2012, 12:25:31 PM »

let me know if I can help in any way

Airfield information, airfield information, airfield information ... ha ha.

We usually end up with more or less historical locations and then add a few fictional fields if the coverage in a certain area is zero. And if you ever care to make airfields with objects placed more or less according to their real placement, that would be a wonderful help. It's a time consuming process to make individual airfields in an all ready time consuming process of making maps and trying to get them to look pleasing to the eye.

But you can make individual airfields as a mis file, adding only the airfield objects and nothing else. This can then be easily extracted and incorporated into an actors file so the airfield then becomes an integral part of the map.

For Suomussalmi, it is due to come out in a very short time, so maybe future revamps of airfields can be included in updates. But after it is posted there should be 2 more Finnish maps to be made and that will be that ... I will miss the Finnish landscape ...

But it could be several months before then. And in the meantime there are other theaters of war to be done ... we've got a good area coming up, provided the texturing goes well ... something Completely Different and far far away from Finland and the arctic lights and hopefully an area that will get skinners scrambling to their graphic programs.

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2012, 02:04:02 AM »

making airfields on ice is difficult, because of IL 2 engines. But Suomussalmi map is at early stage and i will start to populate it soon. I wil not try to make it 100% right and will not make new map_c for only 2-3 airfields.
It is easier to add airfields to land and then they are available even in summer.

Making 100 historically right map is difficult and it would take months to do that..
or even years.

but i will do my best. Finland is quite big country and Suomussalmi map covers a huge area. It is at least 2 x Belgium.
Karelia map was our biggest map. it took many months to make it. And it was not even close to real..
Which remainds me:(little bit OT)
I'm doing final adjustements to Karelia map. Jarmo Happonen from Finland provided new historically corrected airfields and roads plus names are now right.
He also did make few roads and villages.
Agracier made terrain look absolutely gorgeous and did add heaps of new villages/farms
I'm now doing some cleaning and polishing it a bit.
I'm not the right person to say this, but it sure looks good!
Should be ready tomorrow, sunday 8.01.

And Team INternational brigades maps are moddable. Anyone can add airfields later.
It is not that hard to learn.
Kapteeni

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2012, 02:08:25 AM »

OOPS!
Forgot to mention that Jarmo Happonen also did new airfields to my small Kt_Finland map too.
It will be available tomorrow too!
I know that this is not a general Finnish map threat, sorry.
I will make a new topic for those maps.
kap

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2012, 02:15:43 AM »

A great coverage would have been:

more here:
http://www.oocities.org/finnmilpge/fmp_faf_f19.html

reenactment here

This map needs to be done too. I just wish there were other mapmakers too...
Salla front was important for swedish volunteers, i know.. and it is also very beautifull area in both sides of borders of Russia/Finland.
anyone of you swedish guys interrested to learn mapmaking. I'm sure that we could make a basic map with only few textures fast for you so that you could make it ready...
But not in next few weeks. team Internationals hands are busy right now...
kap

kapteeni

• Modder
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2012, 02:19:47 AM »

One thing about german flag: Finns did have a war against germans too..the western part of map is suitable for some real missions and semhistorical ones.
kap

flying_spud

• Spittin' Fire
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2012, 05:02:51 AM »

Nice lakes - think I'll pack my fishing rods for this one.

Hangman

• Modder
« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2012, 05:09:31 AM »

This is NOT a request

About hundred (maybe less) kilometers south and this map will cover my home area :)

zsoltfireman

• Modder
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2013, 02:14:33 AM »

This is MAP available?

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2013, 02:33:16 AM »

This is MAP available?

Well, it's almost finished except for the populating of the main towns. Kapteeni's been out of Il-2 for a while now, real life and all that. And now that innovation has been relentlessly marching along, this map should ideally be retextured with some 2048 textures and maybe adapted here and there ...

So, it's a bit on back burner for the moment.

I do however have another thoroughly modern map in the end stages, 2048 and all, set in landscapes as Suomussalmi should look.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up

Page created in 0.077 seconds with 25 queries.