Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Lapland Map Ready for d/l  (Read 21949 times)

agracier

• Modder
    • The Great War in a Different Light
Re: Lapland Map Ready for d/l
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2011, 02:25:07 PM »

Thanks for the rapid reply mate.

I don't have DBW, I'm afraid. It's just too big for me to download.

Oh well, cest la vie.  :(

Take a look at this post. It might be something that could help with the missing objects in your install. But read carefully as I am not 100% certain ...

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,19227.0/topicseen.html

Badmuthafunker

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2011, 02:30:25 PM »

Thanks ag :)

I've already hunted this one down. I know I'm on the right track, but now I can't get the sfs files to work in my setup.

Thanks again mate.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2011, 02:31:25 PM »

That did the job just fine Agracier, thank you very much. ;) 8)

Edited by Admin Team - 2 !

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

Nice screenshots. Those kind of views is exactly the kind of look I was aiming for with this map ... or maps ...

btw - there is a landlight.mat file included in the setup, in the map folder itself and the load.inis point to this .mat file. By opening up the landight.mat file, you can adjust certain light parameters. I am not that knowledgeable on how it works except that both default values are 1.0. I have different values in the files, but anyone can open them up (text editor) and adjust the values, expriment a bit to get a different effect more according to their own tastes.

I'm a subdued and diffused landscape kind of guy, but others may like crisp and clear landscapes. With the landlight.mat files you can fool around a bit.

The other .mat file, cloudshadows.mat, adjusts the intensity of the shadows made by clouds overhead ... but don't ask me anything except the default values = 1.0

Badmuthafunker

« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2011, 07:04:17 PM »

Sorted! Thanks ag.

sfs files still don't work. But I managed to extract the missing objects.  :)

Whiskey_Sierra_972

• Modder
  • In memory of my beloved hero: Saburo SAKAI!
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2011, 09:24:29 AM »

Hi mate!

I have just installed this 'mapperpiece' on my 409 and with the lot of object added in the past I got it working flawless!!!

Thanks for this new great work mate!!!

All the best!

walter

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2011, 09:39:01 AM »

I have just installed this 'mapperpiece' on my 409 and with the lot of object added in the past I got it working flawless!!!

Good to hear about the objects. In the past it could sometimes be a real pain to get everyone on the same line re objects. Though on this map there are so few objects in use at all, relatively speaking, that it was probably easier for all users, 4.09 or 4.101 ...

And since these Finnish Far Northern landscapes render so well in Il-2, it may very well be that another map of part of Finland is in the make ... it's early days yet but I just got a basic map running. It looks similar in landscape to Lapland, but then again not completely so ...so that there is some scope for a different feel to things.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2011, 03:51:14 PM »

The autumn map version just looks impressive, ingame things look better than on these shots I chose, especially the colours of the ground/fields and the trees-awesome! The map transports a sort of meditative, not depressive loneliness.

I only wonder why my 4.09 Histo mod install shows less bright or slightly shifted daytimes in the autumn mission I built. I take it this means the map is "constructed" for a nordic autumn daytime..

In 4.101, 16.00 seems to be the usual IL-2 16.00 e.g., in 4.09m, 15.00-16.00 is very darkish, a dusk ambient, 17.00 is almost night.

Start to even like the 109s :), not kidding, an impressive plane albeit I dislike what it stood for.

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2011, 04:05:44 PM »

The aurumn map version just looks impressive, way better than these shots I chose, especially the colours of the ground/fields and the trees-awesome!

I only wonder why my 4.09 Histo mod install shows much less bright daytimes in the autumn mission I built.
In 4.101, 16.00 seems to be the usual IL-2 16.00 e.g., in 4.09m, 15.00-16.00 is very darkish, a dusk ambient, 17.00 is almost night.

You might take a look at the landlight.mat file included in the install. It is in the autumn textures file and it influences various parameters of light and contrast and such things. I changed the normal default settings of 1.0 for each parameter, to those I thought looked good - on my install. Try changing the parameters around and you might get a result that you like a better.

There is also always the option of changing the texture files in a graphics editor. It is is not as difficult as you might think. Should you wish to try it out, I would suggest increasing the brightness slightly while increasing contrast much less, or leaving it as is. I use Paint Shop Pro7, as good a program as there is even though more than 10 years old, and the brightness setting would be something like 3 and the contrast 1 or 0. You won't see much difference directly, but the game will ... you can also use the command twice or three times on each texture as well ... but don't overdo it. And of course apply the same to all the textures ... otherwise they will start to contrast with each other.

Also, should you wish to try this out, backup the old textures first.

And also, there is a big difference internally how the game renders colors. 4.09 is far less sophisticated than 4.101 and cannot do the lighting as well as 4.101. In 4.101 you can see differences in lighting and coloring when you change the mission starting time by as little as 30mins. 4.09 cannot do that ...

That alone is the reason why I wholeheartedly embraced 4.101 when it first came out and I discovered the color/light rendering improvement.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2011, 04:23:52 PM »

Agracier, thank you for the long reply. 
I will try to play with the LandLight.mat file  :)..because I really like your choice of texture colours and temperatures as they are, same with contrast and brightnesses.

I assume it is solely the difference between 4.09m and 4.101m. TBH it is the first time I see a difference in identical maps regarding the daytime lighting.
The reason could also be the "Avala Terrain lighting' mod I keep with a default setting of 0.35 and 1.10 for ambient and diffuse..It also includes the cloud shadows.mat file with a default value of 0.90.

TBH I like the 4.09m sky colour look better but the difference is subtle.

Great tips, I also use PSP. E.g. I busted redko's good default MTO texture colours and added a slight tad red.  :D

I will try it tomorrow. :)

Edited..

agracier

• Modder
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2011, 04:39:17 PM »

The reason could also be the "Avala Terrain lighting' mod I keep with a default setting of 0.35 and 1.10 for ambient and diffuse..It also includes the cloud shadows.mat file with a default value of 0.90.

A double effect with the terrain lighting mod might also be possible ... never thought of that. And the settings you mention here are way different from those i usually use ... certainly from those in the landlight.mat files included in the texture folders.

hguderian

• Modder
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2011, 06:35:01 PM »

You can avoid the influence of Avala's mod renamed the files in another way...such as LapLandlight.mat and LapCloudShadows.mat: so your map entries points only to that ad not to normal Landlight - CloudShadows mat's. 

Also you can put them in a dedicated folder inside the map one and point to that folder via load.ini

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #35 on: December 29, 2011, 07:04:26 PM »

I tried the suggested mat changes in the CLoudsShadows and Landlight mat files and found out it is the load entry for [WORLDPOS] in the autumn map:
>By default it is..

[WORLDPOS]
CAMOUFLAGE = SUMMER
MONTH=10
DECLIN = 62
PRESSURE    = 745
TEMPERATURE = 03

I tried the CY6 Korea map entry just for fun...and it worked.
Before that, the sun was very low even at 14.00 and cloudy settings and the general ambinet light was a sundown temperature, ca. 17.30-18.30 or even darker.

With this setting I received a similar result as seen in 4.101m:
[WORLDPOS]
 CAMOUFLAGE = SUMMER
 MONTH = 6
 DECLIN = 15
 PRESSURE    = 745
 TEMPERATURE =  25

Seems 4.09m calculates these values differently:

Anyway, lovely map.  These are shots from 4.09m (Histo and UP 2.01)

What I likke especially is the forest and underlying texture + the mud textures, very bumped.

Back to my Iran/Soviet border mission. :) Thanks for the help agracier and hguderian!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Page created in 0.095 seconds with 25 queries.