Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: F6F Hellcat  (Read 26747 times)

acred99

• Modder
  • Meditation the only way to fly!!
    • Asisbiz.com
Re: F6F Hellcat
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 08:09:28 PM »

To be honest I find nearly all the US fighters in the game to be of "VERY" poor performance. Most of them are flying death traps, with shit performance, apart maybe from the P-40's. The P-51 is like you are walking on a tight rope, spins, stalls, same with the Jug. I hardly ever fly them, but if you are up against the AI flying them, then they turn into super hero's and you can never catch them, they simply outpace you even on "rookie" mode. One of the biggest issues of the whole game in my opinion. I defected to the Japs years ago, been kicking ass ever since !

Stratodog

• Slightly hypoxic
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 09:11:59 PM »

And what about F6F-5?

Just flew it.  Same problem.  Stock FM, shitty performance and handling qualities.
My recommendation: Until the FM issue gets worked out, fly the F6F-3 Early.  Even though it doesn't have WEP it will still have better speed and handling characteristics than any of the other Hellcats.

sluggs

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:24:39 PM »

To be honest I find nearly all the US fighters in the game to be of "VERY" poor performance. Most of them are flying death traps, with shit performance, apart maybe from the P-40's. The P-51 is like you are walking on a tight rope, spins, stalls, same with the Jug. I hardly ever fly them, but if you are up against the AI flying them, then they turn into super hero's and you can never catch them, they simply outpace you even on "rookie" mode. One of the biggest issues of the whole game in my opinion. I defected to the Japs years ago, been kicking ass ever since !

LOL.

To tell you the truth, I agree with you. I think Oleg might have had a chip on his shoulder...

Anyway, how do the majority of the Japanese aircraft hold up? I rarely (if ever) fly anything besides the American aircraft, but I'd assume that a Zero would fly circles around just about any America war bird (so much so that I'm actually afraid to take on an AI-piloted Zero).

Stratodog

• Slightly hypoxic
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2011, 09:58:17 PM »

(so much so that I'm actually afraid to take on an AI-piloted Zero).

Don't be afraid, just use proper tactics.  I've shot down dozens of AI Zeros using the Hellcat/Corsair.
Always have an altitude advantage or a big speed advantage.  Dive in from behind and shoot at close range.  Very close.  Re-gain altitude smoothly.  Don't fight them at low altitude if you can avoid it because you can't dive away if they get on your tail.  If they get behind you, dive vertically and do at least a half roll in the dive.  Then pull out smoothly and run like hell.  Above all - don't turn with them.  Speed is life and Altitude is life insurance.

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 02:43:17 AM »

I know this post is about F6F's, but I think it's the same problem about F4F-3 and A6M2-21.
When I try to dive, they reach me.
So my only choice is to dogfight with them.
Oddly, I can turn better than an ace Zeke AI.
I think this is not right, is it?

I flew in the server Zeke vs Wildcats and the F6F's has no chance against Zekes, because is impossible to H&R, they will reach you and, differently from AI, you can't dogfight with them, they turn very fast as expected.
Our only chance is to fly P-38 when available.

Well, I'm not a good pilot anyway, hehe. :P

santobr.

Eexhaton

• Ancient Entity
  • Modder
  • Bukakke Blitzkrieg!
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2011, 09:26:59 AM »

There are certainly alot of "quirks" with the US planes..

I, for instance too, find the P-40's a joy to fly.
But employing the historical tactics with either F4U's, F4F, F6F - especially as said against Zeroes, it just won't work.
They keep up with you on almost all fronts, unless you have a severe speed+altitude advantage.
Ok; granted the AI Wingmen on my side always seem completely retarded - that is also a major factor, I guess.

It might be my bad piloting too, like Santo said ;D

My aircraft of choice on Hellcats is the F6F-3 early model, which even feels a bit 'off'..
Have'nt tried the F6F-5 as much yet. Only as a ground-pounder.

Schwieger

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2011, 12:41:39 PM »

Zero seems to retain too much 'e,' but that is for another thread...lol

Pursuivant

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2011, 12:46:48 PM »

It seems to me that it ought be easy to get real life performance data for the U.S. fighters, since a number of them are still flying. Not so many Hellcats, Wildcats and Thunderbolts, but there are plenty of Corsairs and Mustangs out there and a fair number of P-40s.

Schwieger

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »

Stratodog, do you have any plans for improved FMs?

Stratodog

• Slightly hypoxic
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2011, 09:29:04 PM »

Yes, my plan is to make sure that the next version of UP and DBW have the correct F6F FM version. (not the stock as it is now for all but the "Early")

santobr

• Modder
  • Senta a Pua!
    • F
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2011, 04:43:45 AM »

Please, F4Fs too. :)

santobr.

Ribs

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2011, 07:59:26 PM »

Yes, my plan is to make sure that the next version of UP and DBW have the correct F6F FM version. (not the stock as it is now for all but the "Early")

This would be greatly appreciated! Thank you for your efforts!
I've spent most of my money on Whiskey and Women. The rest I just wasted.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 27 queries.