Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.  (Read 61297 times)

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Alterations to my own copy of Dixiecapt's Vietnam 68 map.
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »

Hello s3231541, the landing problem I show is not actually due to the Phantom as such but more a problem with the sims way it handles approaches and the terrain in the map.  Essentially high performance aircraft be they prop or jet tend to take a wider approach before landing, on some airfields this means only one approach is possible unless I flatten the surrounding terrain and I think that would spoil certain aspects of the map.

The AI in the shots handled the approach and landing well enough if there was nothing in the circuit for it
to bump into. ;) 

Having the AI use the drag chute would be a rather cool feature though.

Hello SAS~Le0ne, glad you like the changes. 8)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

VF-51_Cobraj

• Air Group 51 Commanding Officer
    • Airgroup 51
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 12:31:02 PM »

Thx MissionBug! Looking great!

Cheyenne

• Virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
Re: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:31 AM »

~S~ All
To Dixiecapt and Mission Bug.  I am not here to flame or start any trouble. However I have found a few things
wrong with Da Nang Air Base. I hope you will understand that I what to help you both on making this wonderfull
map as realistc as possble. You see I am a Viet Nam Vet and served around Da Nang Air Base from 4-24-69 to 5-24-69.
I been in and around Da Nang Air Base lots of times and can remember some things of the Air Base. So I Hope you will
take this info and put it to good use and fix the things I show and tell you.
 Fact 1: Da Nang Air Base had two runways that ran side by side. (Which you alrerady have done.)
 Fact 2: Both runways was 10,000ft  (3,048m) long. These two runways was called 17L/35R, and 17R/35L.
 Fact 3: There was no trees around the Air Base because it was cleared out for Clear View of fire.
 Fact 4: There was only two rivers that was around the Air Base, the south side and east side.
 Fact 5: On the North side of the Air Base was the Morgue Area.
 Fact 6: The Elevation at Da Nang Air Base was 33ft (10m) not the 8ft you have now.
 Fact 7: The flight line was crowded with semi circle concert revetments.

Here are two links showing the Da Nang International Airport. It is still about the same as the Air Base was in 1968.
http://sites.google.com/site/chinhdangvu/google-earth/vietnam-on-google-earth/da-nang-on-google-earth
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=danang,+vietnam&sll=37.926868,-95.712891&sspn=30.683537,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=16.056289,108.170786&spn=0.038673,0.054932&t=h&z=14&source=embed

Also there are a few Fire Support Bases that I can help you with.
1) Hill 55  it is about 25km south of Da Nang. It was a important Marine Base. ( Also I was station there).
2) Hill 34, it was just outside of Da Nang, another Marines Fire Support Base.
3) An Hoa, which is about 50 miles south of Da Nang. It started out as a small fire suppot base, by the end of the 1968,
early 1969 it became a large fire support base, the 5th Marines was station there. It hasd a small air strip there.
I was station in all three places, however I was in operations over most of I Corps area.

I would be more then happy to help you both out with this map.

Kabayo
Viet Nam Vet
United States Marine Corps
Viet Nam  3/24/68 to 5/24/69 and from 2/70 to 11/20/70
Whiskey Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marine Reg.
1st 175 Guns  Hill 34 and Hill 65.

Cheyenne

• Virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2012, 12:20:55 AM »

~S~ All
To Dixiecapt and Mission Bug.  I am not here to flame or start any trouble. However I have found a few things
wrong with Da Nang Air Base. I hope you will understand that I what to help you both on making this wonderfull
map as realistc as possble. You see I am a Viet Nam Vet and served around Da Nang Air Base from 4-24-69 to 5-24-69.
I been in and around Da Nang Air Base lots of times and can remember some things of the Air Base. So I Hope you will
take this info and put it to good use and fix the things I show and tell you.
 Fact 1: Da Nang Air Base had two runways that ran side by side. (Which you alrerady have done.)
 Fact 2: Both runways was 10,000ft  (3,048m) long. These two runways was called 17L/35R, and 17R/35L.
 Fact 3: There was no trees around the Air Base because it was cleared out for Clear View of fire.
 Fact 4: There was only two rivers that was around the Air Base, the south side and east side.
 Fact 5: On the North side of the Air Base was the Morgue Area.
 Fact 6: The Elevation at Da Nang Air Base was 33ft (10m) not the 8ft you have now.
 Fact 7: The flight line was crowded with semi circle concert revetments.

Here are two links showing the Da Nang International Airport. It is still about the same as the Air Base was in 1968.
http://sites.google.com/site/chinhdangvu/google-earth/vietnam-on-google-earth/da-nang-on-google-earth
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=danang,+vietnam&sll=37.926868,-95.712891&sspn=30.683537,56.25&ie=UTF8&ll=16.056289,108.170786&spn=0.038673,0.054932&t=h&z=14&source=embed

Also there are a few Fire Support Bases that I can help you with.
1) Hill 55  it is about 25km south of Da Nang. It was a important Marine Base. ( Also I was station there).
2) Hill 34, it was just outside of Da Nang, another Marines Fire Support Base.
3) An Hoa, which is about 50 miles south of Da Nang. It started out as a small fire suppot base, by the end of the 1968,
early 1969 it became a large fire support base, the 5th Marines was station there. It hasd a small air strip there.
I was station in all three places, however I was in operations over most of I Corps area.

I would be more then happy to help you both out with this map.

Kabayo
Viet Nam Vet
United States Marine Corps
Viet Nam  3/24/68 to 5/24/69 and from 2/70 to 11/20/70
Whiskey Battery 3rd Battalion 11th Marine Reg.
1st 175 Guns  Hill 34 and Hill 65.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2012, 01:26:30 PM »

Hello Kabayo, thanks very much for the info, as I didn't make this version of Da Nang I don't know how much of that is known to Dixicapt, but as his interest is Marine Corps aviation and the reason for his detailed version, I would think he is aware of some or most of it.  He had to build his detail on my original version of the map which is set for the colonial era, so was stuck with the map as I'd left it, unless he wanted to start again with the original starter map.  The original airfield, Tourane, had to have some considerable alterations with the blur tool to get the area flat enough for the original runway and to allow for the circuit behaviour of the sim, so the hight is as is for in game practical reasons, only one runway is actually active because that is where the best circuit behaviour was without flattening the whole surrounding area, again he was stuck with my original which was a single runway back in the fifties and built using very limited info for that period of time. Bear in mind both of us were trying to build a flavour of the area at two different times, not a fully scaled representation of the real thing, everyone has their own thoughts on how exactly the airfields should look but we have to go with how much time we have available for the detailing and the objects available to us.  Dixiecapt is intending to make a number of campaigns for the map so the airfields and fire bases he has added were aimed at whatever action he is going to represent in those, yes there probably should be a multitude of fire bases and small landing strips but we have to consider things finished somewhere along the line, other commitments mean we don't necessarily have the time or inclination to include everything everybody wants.

This version here is merely to alter taxi behaviour of his detailing of the map so I for one will be leaving it as is, unless I go for detailing Tahn Son Nhut at some later date to represent that airfield during the US involvement in the area, what Dixiecapt's intentions are I cannot say.

badderger

« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2012, 02:19:58 PM »

Load.ini error...

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2012, 03:09:43 PM »

Hello badderger, this load.ini is from my own modified version which has the Uufflakke jungle effect, that maybe where your problem is.  You will either have to add those files or use the original load form the initial map.

Give that a go and let me know if you have any further problems. ;)

badderger

« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »

Mission bug---all set. Thanks. And thank you for your hard work. Your work on this map and the Denmark map has been superb! :)

Dixiecapt

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2012, 02:26:34 PM »

Great Job Guys!

I've been off the radar cause I'm in an internship and I'm into Rise of Flight.

You can replace the old 68 map with these fixes and have my total blessing!

Dixiecapt

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2012, 02:28:20 PM »

I'm way too busy to do map work ATM with an Internship.

I have given others here the rights to alter this map and offer a fix in another thread.

People should build missions on the fixed map.

Good Luck and Happy Flying!

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 05:02:31 PM »

Hello Dixiecapt, glad you approve of the changes, sent you a PM at AAS but got no reply, figured you were heavily involved in RL issues so went ahead anyway, nice to know you're still popping in now and then. ;)

I'm rather fond of ROF myself, it is getting much better, the future plans are looking really good. 8)

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »

Thanks Tom. That did the trick, even without adding any other objects. I remember reading about this little trick a long time ago but I never needed to do it until now.

Question...

What dose (builder.PlMisDestruction) do? And why did adding (//) in front of it let my game save?

Thanks for this great map gents.

Edit: Ok, it seems that with the line (builder.PlMisDestruction) disabled in the bldconf.ini, the destruction brush in the FMB will no longer work. So it seems that the game will save because it ignores the objects that are missing in the map.

Which brings me back to my original question? Could I please get someone to post a link to the missing objects needed for this map to work correctly in 409. That way I can have this wonderful map and the destruction brush will continue to work in the FMB. Thanks.

Edit#2: Never mind. I found the needed objects.

Slikk, would you care to share those? Would be much appreciated for Histomod.

Not sure if those are already in the latest objects WIP testing pack.

Cheers

Thorsten
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.098 seconds with 21 queries.