Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.  (Read 61216 times)

Cheyenne

• Virtual 97th Bomb Group (H)
Re: Dixiecapt South Vietnam 1968 map release.
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2012, 05:46:09 AM »

~S~ All
IMHO the map looks ok. However being a Viet Nam Vet and who served around the
Da Nang area from 3-24-1968 to 5-24-1969 and from 2-4-1970 to 11-28-1970
the Da Nang Air Base is not right. There was two runways running side by side
and the Hangers/Reventment are not in the right places either.  I am not here to
start any problems or say any thing bad. I know that some times there is not enough
room  to put things. here is a link I think you will find interesting about Da Nang Air Base
http://366th-tfw.net/index15.html

Again please do not take what I am saying the wrong way. Just wanted to help out so you or
some one else can improve the map better. If you need help with any other USAF Bases in VN
let me know and I can find the info you need.

Kabayo

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2012, 08:55:10 AM »

I like a  tad more flush, for that reason I did a  slight repaint on my (again personal) gaming version. I also liked a sand beach, maybe I try out a modded load ini with Avala's beach tex.
So sad that we cannot engage palmsets in IL-2 as default. A tree-set as palms would be the optimal solution IMHO along with the new namwood forests.

Think I will play with this map and also change water to bright blue-green. Then again the inland rivers won't be correct..anyway.. ;D

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2012, 09:02:25 AM »

http://www.google.de/search?q=Da+Nang&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:de:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=de&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=Re0zT7S4B4nltQbJt-HHDA&biw=1126&bih=660&sei=Ru0zT7XoNsbQtAawtLTHDA

"..most maps are still to European IMHO."
And..North Sea is mostly dark blue (dark blue green) seen from above, not brown..as on some maps.

Map sea colours are slightly off. :D
Nevertheless these Vietnam versions rock IMHO and with our game's limitations it is almost impossible to get closer to RL. But the water thing on many maps-it is true, google map image search is your friend. For Vietnam-the problem is the rivers after my little research are muddy brown to dark  greenish/yellow and we have only one color available in IL-2 for water. So I say Dixiecapt and Mission_bug did it right. ;D

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 12:57:55 PM »

This map won’t save in my 409 UP 2 game. I have tried to find the objects needed but I can’t find them. If someone could host the objects needed for this map to work with 409 it would be a big help.

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #40 on: February 10, 2012, 06:31:29 AM »

Slikk: Try the following: :D
Open the bldconf.ini and set //(builder.PlMisDestruction)....also change the load.ini to Camouflage=Desert.

That should do the trick. If not, move over to Histomod's page and download the latest available object pack. But even the latest pack there won't load the map without the above trick. It only helps for the other eventually missing objects.

Slikk

• Modder
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2012, 09:28:11 AM »

Thanks Tom. That did the trick, even without adding any other objects. I remember reading about this little trick a long time ago but I never needed to do it until now.

Question...

What dose (builder.PlMisDestruction) do? And why did adding (//) in front of it let my game save?

Thanks for this great map gents.

Edit: Ok, it seems that with the line (builder.PlMisDestruction) disabled in the bldconf.ini, the destruction brush in the FMB will no longer work. So it seems that the game will save because it ignores the objects that are missing in the map.

Which brings me back to my original question? Could I please get someone to post a link to the missing objects needed for this map to work correctly in 409. That way I can have this wonderful map and the destruction brush will continue to work in the FMB. Thanks.

Edit#2: Never mind. I found the needed objects.

Mission_bug

• Modder
Re: Alterations to my own copy of Dixiecapt's Vietnam 68 map.
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 11:27:32 AM »

A link for my altered version of the map has now been added to the first post. :)

Phu Bai.

The changes made are what I've shown here so far, only to the airfields.  Nothing else on the map
has been altered so all the textures etc. are as before.

A Shau SF Basecamp has not been changed, the only AI aircraft I ever got to land there was the Bell 47
using the Helicopter AI mod from IL-2 Freemodding. :'(  The runway is stuck in between all the hills so
it would involve some major surgery to do anything usefull there.

Enjoy.

Please only post bug reports here for my alterations, not the  existing map.

Note: A PM was sent to Dixiecapt letting him know what I was doing with the map, however no reply
has been forthcoming from him so I've decided to upload now as his current commitments may keep him
away from the sim for some time.  Please keep a copy of the original just incase he had already started
work on the campaigns he was planning. ;)

Wishing you all the very best, Pete. ;D

SAS~Tom2

• SAS Honourable Member
  • no sweat
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2012, 06:08:55 PM »

Thanks a lot!
Will test it these days in Histo. :D
 :D

Thorst.

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2012, 02:52:30 AM »

Hello Thorsten, I see there is now a new piece of hardware for you to test, maybe you could add it to those
test missions in the download just to see how well my taxi ways handle it eh. ;)

Mission_bug

• Modder
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2012, 12:27:47 PM »

Did a quick test using the new Phantom at Bien Hoa.

Could only get the flight in on this approach. :'(  With the other end of the runway
they hit hills.  Could depend on just where the aircraft enters the landing pattern though. :-\

All tests with AI, as that is what will be important for campaign/mission builders. And that was the
reason for these changes.

Tests continue.

S3231541

• s3231541
  • SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2012, 04:12:16 PM »

It have landing chute, you have to assign a key in your control and use the chute for landing. I'm working on making the AI use chute for certain situations, too. Very Good map.

Thanks,

s3231541

LuseKofte

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 05:53:14 AM »

Yeah a most needed map Many thanks
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 ... 13   Go Up

Page created in 0.103 seconds with 24 queries.