Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: P-82 Twin Mustang (franken)  (Read 28131 times)

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
Re: P-82 Twin Mustang (franken)
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 06:15:09 PM »

What about the P-51H?

Do allow for the tail assembly and they look fairly similar

Spinnetti

« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 07:21:48 PM »

What about the P-51H?
Do allow for the tail assembly and they look fairly similar

Nope. I mean, you can make what you want of course, and it will be great, but the real thing was very different than the P51.. I built a Radio controlled model and as I researched it, I found many, many differences. For a franken stand-in, maybe ok, but given the fine work in IL2 now, it would be a shame to do it less quality than the rest....

ANDYTOTHED

• Modder
  • angle computing gunsights
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 07:56:43 PM »

North American Design Chief Edgar Schmued incorporated two P-51H Mustang fuselages lengthened by the addition of a 57 in (145 cm) fuselage plug located behind the cockpit where additional fuel tanks and equipment could be installed. These were mounted to a newly designed center wing section containing the same six .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns as a single-engine Mustang, but with more concentrated fire. The outer wings were strengthened to allow the addition of hard points for carrying additional fuel or 1,000 lb (454 kg) of ordnance. The two vertical tails were also from the XP-51F, but incorporated large dorsal fillets for added stability in case of an engine failure. The aircraft had a conventional landing gear with both wheels retracting into bays under each fuselage center section.

The only difference I have found (apart from it having another plane strapped to it) is that the later models used Allison engines.
This meant that the later models had bulged engine bays to allow for the stupidly large radiator.

I do not doubt your words, nor your own research. All I'm saying is that atleast 30% of a late model P-82 used P-51 tech for example parts of the airframe and wing.

Spinnetti

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »

North American Design Chief Edgar Schmued incorporated two P-51H Mustang fuselages lengthened by the addition of a 57 in (145 cm) fuselage plug located behind the cockpit where additional fuel tanks and equipment could be installed. These were mounted to a newly designed center wing section containing the same six .50 in (12.7 mm) M2 Browning machine guns as a single-engine Mustang, but with more concentrated fire. The outer wings were strengthened to allow the addition of hard points for carrying additional fuel or 1,000 lb (454 kg) of ordnance. The two vertical tails were also from the XP-51F, but incorporated large dorsal fillets for added stability in case of an engine failure. The aircraft had a conventional landing gear with both wheels retracting into bays under each fuselage center section.

The only difference I have found (apart from it having another plane strapped to it) is that the later models used Allison engines.
This meant that the later models had bulged engine bays to allow for the stupidly large radiator.

I do not doubt your words, nor your own research. All I'm saying is that atleast 30% of a late model P-82 used P-51 tech for example parts of the airframe and wing.

No worries, and certainly close enough for game purposes!

BravoFxTrt

• "BIGFOOT"
  • Modder
  • Flying Ass Clown #13
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 06:07:08 PM »

Double your Pleasure, Double your Fun, lol
MSI R9 280X 6GB x2/Crossfire /ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 Mobo/AMD FX 4170 Bulldozer 4core CPU/RAM Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB/ Corsair RM 1000WATT PSU/Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit

bomberkiller

• Treffen sich zwei Jäger...!
  • Modder
  • Bf-109G-6/R6 = Bomber Killer
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 06:13:12 PM »

:)  :D  ;D
FAC N° 9 ...cheers mein Schatz

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2013, 11:07:08 PM »

I can't tell you how many times P-82 pilots replaced parts with '51 parts just to make it more reliable.

And yes, they used the Allison version of the Rolls Royce Merlin. The only difference was the name. (In WW2, P-51D's were sent out of the factory with Allison-Merlin's liscensed to be build in the US, and once they got to the U.K. they would replace broken parts with RR parts)

A1_Phoenix

• Modder
  • Un maiale deve volare
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2013, 03:01:42 AM »

You misspelled "Packard", Wildchild ;D

Wildchild

• Bf 109 Killer
    • This is my professional racing page. Please check it out!
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »

Dammit, Sh*t happens.  :D

HotelAlpha

• F.A.C #7
  • Modder
  • Tactical dominance is key
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2013, 05:23:43 PM »

Precisely!  :)   

Make a Twin Starfighter for me and I will be very happy, even better a twin Spit!
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics" -Sydney Camm

GUZKNIFE

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2013, 06:08:51 AM »

Works in 4.12 SAS ModAct 5.11 :) Thank you!

dsawan

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2013, 08:41:06 AM »

hi, put it in 4.12 latest modact and no go.The model does not sjow in the plane selection same with loadout, just the text. is there another naddon that goes with it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Page created in 0.279 seconds with 26 queries.