Special Aircraft Service

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Question on Java aircraft limitation  (Read 4983 times)

MR_G

Question on Java aircraft limitation
« on: August 10, 2011, 06:58:48 AM »

If I disable aircraft that I never use, by placing // in front of their entry in the air.ini, will this allow me to add additional aircraft in my DBW folder?

Will this work as a temporary fix, or am I thinking wrong....or too much?????

I was thinking of doing the same thing with maps, also.

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
Re: Question on Java aircraft limitation
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:10:59 PM »

First of all in air.ini the comment flag is "*" instead of "//". <Edit by Storebror>Not enough caffeine in me head at the time having written that line. Sorry.</Edit>
You can disable aircraft from air.ini by placing some "//" in front and it will save you some space which can be used to bring in new slot planes.
However that's usually not a 1-on-1 game, meaning you have to disable multiple existing aircrafts through air.ini to be able to bring in a new one.
Might work as a temporary solution but please understand that we don't provide further support for such kind of modified games since it's somewhat ahead of what is recommend to be done by "Joe User".

Best regards - Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

MR_G

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 01:54:27 PM »

Thanks, I guess that I'll just play it safe and only add 5 aircraft to the DBW folder.

The way changes are going on around here, a fix will probably be in the works in a week or so.

redfox

• Modder
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 02:24:27 PM »

First of all, I've been using '//' in the air.ini to comment out aircraft for a long time now and it works.

But more importantly, wouldn't commenting out a/c in the air.ini that are included with DBW make no difference to the Java limitation, as their classfiles have already been loaded from the SFS files, and therefore would make no difference to the Java aircraft limitation. By my way of reasoning the air.ini just gives me access to the class files already loaded and doesn't actually call those files to be loaded, as they are already loaded either by being included in the #DBW folder or by the .rc file mounting the appropriate SFS files.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

Please correct me if I've got that wrong, as it would help my understanding of the architecture.

Cheers - Redfox

benitomuso

• SAS Team
  • P.A.L.
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 04:13:46 PM »

First of all, I've been using '//' in the air.ini to comment out aircraft for a long time now and it works.

But more importantly, wouldn't commenting out a/c in the air.ini that are included with DBW make no difference to the Java limitation, as their classfiles have already been loaded from the SFS files, and therefore would make no difference to the Java aircraft limitation. By my way of reasoning the air.ini just gives me access to the class files already loaded and doesn't actually call those files to be loaded, as they are already loaded either by being included in the #DBW folder or by the .rc file mounting the appropriate SFS files.

I hope that isn't too confusing.

Please correct me if I've got that wrong, as it would help my understanding of the architecture.

Cheers - Redfox

Redfox,
                is correct that the double slash // works in air.ini. Perhaps Mike (Storebror) mixed up these concepts, but in fact the way or commenting an airplane is by placing the doubls slash.

But what you say Redfox is not correct. The game loads at startup all the classes (all the pieces of Java code) accessed anywhere in the whole operational structure of the game. It means: if you have a some airplane defined in air.ini which uses 3 classes (to say something), all those 3 classes will be loaded at startup, to later allow you fly it. What will be loaded later is the 3D contenct: hiers, meshes, textures, etc., landscapes, other objects, etc.

Basically every object in the game is composed of:

-Code which tells what to do with it.
  -3D elements which are its representation.

The first part is always loaded, the second one is loaded on request.

So if you remark planes in your air.ini, due to the fact that they will not be loaded on startup, that code will not be in memory, so giving you more free space.

Saying that: you can have two million Java hashed classes (those files saying i.e. F0E43C32A927) in your MODs structure. But if no other class (part of code) instructs to call the contents of this F0E43C32A927 it will never be loaded. So in spite you have it in your MODding structure, if it belongs to a plane, and you don't have a corresponding line in the air.ini it is the same as if it wasn't there.

Regards,
                            Pablo

redfox

• Modder
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

Thank You Pablo - that helps my understanding of the structure.

Redfox

MR_G

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

Thank You Pablo
I'm not going to go crazy adding mod aircraft. No more than 10-15 max.
It's nice to know that my brain wasn't completely off the track.

Birdman

• SAS Honourable Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 05:58:16 PM »

My experience is that commenting planes out of air.ini does help a bit with the memory but many planes have to be commented to install one extra plane. Maybe the reason is that stock and UP3 planes are still loaded because they are still installed as stationary planes and thus there are still references to their classfiles.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 06:14:13 PM »

Its one of the reasons I asked about breaking the game into ETO,PTO, Jet age, etc.
But that DEFINITELY wasn't a popular Idea, I think if possible some here would have lynched me!
But really, how else will the game expand?

SAS~Storebror

• retired
  • SAS Honourable Member
  • Taking a timeout
    • STFU
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 11:33:48 PM »

Sorry for the confusion, my fault, you're right.

stock and UP3 planes are still loaded because they are still installed as stationary planes and thus there are still references to their classfiles.
So true ;)
The main issue in disabling aircraft from air.ini is that you never know where else in code the same class might be referenced for whatever reason, stationary planes is probably the most common one.
Now one could say "so what, disable the stationary planes as well". Yes, clever, but that's not as easy as it is with air.ini and it fucks up each map where one of those stationary planes is used in. And again, you disable something and still don't know where else this is being referenced...

breaking the game into ETO,PTO, Jet age, etc.
Just go ahead and try this yourself, but please provide support too if someone fails in implementing parts of one "world" into another.

But really, how else will the game expand?
Different :D

Best regards - Mike
You live, you learn, you love, you're dead.

CWMV

• Kalashnikov connoisseur
  • Modder
  • A free people ought to be armed and disciplined.
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »

So you've found a way around the java limits? ???

HundertzehnGustav

• Banned on Sep 11/2012
  • Arrogant Narcisistic Pussy
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 12:37:39 AM »

yea, cough it up... i am one of these "bigger better more content" types that the "yankee" above me mentioned. :D

But the Toy Box seems full, and if you know how to add another few cubic feet or cubic yards to it, so i can stuff more planes in there, i would be very grateful to be assured that it is possible.

Even if not "more", please explain in a few pointers what you mean by "different".
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.127 seconds with 25 queries.